PS3 or 360?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Soundatron, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Achievement points!

Oh and you don't have to get the Gold XBL service.
    There is the free Silver, however it has limited options.

2. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

I've played both systems and my older brother has both systems. His 360 is collecting dust like a few others I know. I personally own a PS3 and 2 of my friends have 360s. They both enjoy their 360 and I love my PS3, best purchase I've made in awhile.

The game library right now isn't huge but there are some good games out there and the games are coming. If you watched E3, you saw that theres about 120ish (maybe more) games on the way with 15 or more exclusive titles that look amazing in the coming year.

I've played the 360 and just was never sold on it, only time I ever thought of purchasing a 360 was when the core was $100 on amazon but other than that its been ps3. My vote ps3. I also use the system as a blu ray movie player b/c blockbuster will allow you to bring back online rentals to the store and trade them in for blu ray discs. (Not sure if they have blu ray available online yet)

3. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

I own both a 360 and PS3. I would get the PS3, simply because I don't want to pay $100 for a wireless adapter and $15 a month (or whatever the cost is) to play online when all of it comes with the PS3. If you look at the prices that way, the PS3 is actually cheaper (and comes with bluray!)

4. liquidcross

liquidcross Machine Robo

Bite the bullet and get a PS3. It's a much better designed console, you get a lot more bang for your buck, and you'll get a lot of higher quality software in the long run. Sony's inhouse developers alone make it worth it.

5. Optmaxx

Optmaxx RC God TFW2005 Supporter

If you would like to get both at some point in time get the 360 now because it has more games and when the PS3 has some games get that.

6. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I was thinkin about that. I may not get one until Assassin's Creed comes out. I may try and get one for my B-day in Oct.

7. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

PS3 never had anything that I would buy it over. I don't have any friends that have a PS3 either so it makes having the 360 much more enjoyable.

8. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    I have both and I honestly never touch my PS3.

As for people who complain their 360 systems brick up, overheat and whatnot, I have had mine for a year and I have had no problems, overheats, scratched discs etc...

All I can say is, if you are really into First Person Shooters, a Xbox 360 is a must. If you dig other games, its a tossup, I mainly try and get 360 games for the achievement points. It just feels like you accomplish more when you get points than not getting them.

9. Soundatron

yeah not big on FPS's. While I'm not saying I dont believe you, but there's enough cases of 360's breaking down that I may not want one.

10. beatrush

Ebay:
    What games/genre do you like to play?

11. Soundatron

RPG's
    3rd person shooters
    racing, many driving simulators or street racing with real licsensed cars
    fighters
    not all that big on FPS's everynow and then one may grab my attention like F.E.A.R.

12. rawl316

I don't know if that list is in order, but in terms of racing, you can't beat gran turismo HD. that demo was awesome.

13. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

as for the games you like....

RPG (more Eastern style) = PS3
    RPG (more Western style) = 360
    3PS = dunno as i'm not a fan..but looks to be 360
    Racing = PS3...Gran Turismo HD is where its at...
    Fighters = PS3 as they have/will have one more than 360 (Tekken 5)..that i know of
    FPS = dunno as the closest thing to it that i like is a Nintendo game.

so in the end PS3 = 3, 360 = 2

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  14. beatrush

Ebay:
    Okay, I suggest looking up these games, maybe that might help you make a decission on the system.

RPG PS3 = Enchant Arms, FF13
    RPG 360 = Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Enchant Arms, Ninety Nine Nights
    3PS PS3 = none that comes to mind
    3PS 360 = Gears of War (a fav of mine), Lost Planet, Earth Defence Force
    Racing PS3 = Motostorm
    Racing 360 = Forza 2, Project Gotham Racing 3
    Fighters PS3 = none that comes to mind, Ninga Gaiden Sigma.....
    Fighters 360 = Dead or Alive 4
    FPS PS3 = The Darkness, Resistance: Fall of Man
    FPS 360 = The Darkness, Halo 3, Bioshock

Honeslty, maybe wait alittle longer. PS3 is still fairly new but some big stuff is coming soon and 360 has a solid library as is. Both are good systems in the end, I just prefer my 360 at the moment.

15. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I dont know what to recommend to you. Your 1st post mentions the concern for the hardware issues of the 360 and the "over priced" xbox live.

A World of Warcraft subscription is over priced compared to Xbox live's fee. I love the service I get, that's all I'm saying for that.

It sucks to admit that there are hardware issues for that 360, this might not be so bad for people getting a newer 360 though, especially now that the warranty has increased.

I got the 360 because the 360 has content I look for. Mostly shooters and western style RPGs.

You mentioned that you like racers for games but when I look at the PS3 the only mention is Gran Turismo, while a good racer I'm sure thats about all I'm hearing for racing games for the PS3. The 360 just came out with DiRT, Froza Motorsport and Project Gotham Racing 3. I admit that I havent played any of these games but I've heard good word on Froza and DiRT.

You do sound like you may get a kick more out for the PS3 though. You mentioned that you occassionaly play shooters. Gears of War is probably the biggest shooter avilable now and Halo 3 is probably the most antisipated shooter. Now, you may live without those and PS3 has FEAR and other good shooters for the PS3, such as Rainbow Six: Las Vegas and Resistance Fall of Man.

PS3 is defently going to get more RPGs that the 360, I dont know if they are gonna be good (I have a bad taste with Eastern RPGs) but that stuff is a popular trend!

I honestly think you're going to more of a kick out of the PS3. I dont know the technical flaws (if any for PS3) has because that is not where my attention was focused to.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    If you look at the library of games alone, then the 360 is the place to go.
    It already has games that are on a "Greatest Hits" reduced price list.
    It has more market share than the PS3 currently, and it looks like it will take close to a miracle for the PS3 to overcome its gap.
    Personally, I have not seen a PS3 game that looks better than a 360 game.
    If such a thing is even possible, I doubt that most developers will even bother to try to get the most out of the system. I think the PS3 will be like the Xbox of last generation where even though it may be technically more competent, most games will be ports of code for the 360 and will make little use of the features.

But, it seems like you have mostly made up your mind. You have a Wii -so maybe Sony's comparatively sparse software library is not such an issue.

You also seem sold on Blu-ray and it does seem to be winning the format war.
    However, if you want to get it as Blu-ray player and you do not have an HDTV, I would say you are wasting your money because you will see little benefit.

In summary, I would say if you are looking for the most games with the best online experience than get a 360. If you want to get some games and have somthing to play HD movies, then get the PS3.

In either case, hold onto that Wii!

17. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    360. I've had mine for over a year, and have never had any problems with it. I personally know of at least 3 people(all friends of mine) that have both, and have more problems with the ps3. One of them is on his 3rd one(first two died within weeks of purchase).

18. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Wasn't it mentioned that the 360 has a near 40% fail rate compared to the Wii and PS3s lower 1-10% fail rates and that the 360 will have no hardware changes to fix that problem? A 3 year warrenty is nice for something that has a high rate of breaking down...but I would rather have something that wasn't expected to breakdown to begin with.

And as for the libraries, the 360 didn't get any real good exclusives 'til Gears of War iirc, which was about 8 months to a year after the 360 out. The PS3 is getting to be about the same age, and just like the 360, it's exclusives will start coming strong in the next few months. Personally, my only dilema is if I should get the old 60 gig now with the new lower price or wait a few months in *hopes* the 80gig will be dropped down to the same price.

19. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I got a 20gb PS3 at launch and I've been nothing but happy with it. There is plenty of current PS3 and PS2 titles to keep me busy and some really great content coming out in the next 6 month.

Plus I love blu-ray in 1080p. Fantastic stuff.

20. rawl316

is a 3 year warranty supposed to make a consumer feel better? Instead of fixing their product, you can waste shipping costs, not have a console for about a month. Wow, that's a much better solution than actually fixing the problem itself.