PS3 or 360?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Soundatron, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I cant make up my mind. I have my Wii now, now I plan to get one if not both of these sometime down the road but which. It seems Microsoft has nothing but problems cause I still here ppl having techincal problems with 360 to date. The costly on-line play and all. The fact it can easily over-heat as well, plus in how not all XB games are backwards compatible yet.

Then it looks like the PS3 really has the better hardware I mean blue-ray here ppl. Wireless internet, very shiny console ooooo. Yet it has very few exclusives still and I can get almost the same games for it on 360?! I will get a 60GB, I really dont need to pay $100 for 20 more gigs at all. It's not that necesary really.

So I need all of the owner's help on this one. Which should I save up for?

2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Well, with the PS3 the hard drive is easily accessible and I believe you can upgrade it up to a 2TB drive. I could be wrong on that.

The worst thing about the "gaming" console called the PS3 is its lack of games. I think the library is under 40 games if that and most of them are already on the XBox 360. Sure, Sony's online gaming service is free but for how long?

Honestly, and even though I don't care for Microsoft products I'd say drop the change and get the XBox 360 Elite with its HDMI port. The games are there, the network is there and the services keep expanding. Economically speaking, it is the better choice between the two.

Personally though, I'd get the PS3 simply because of all that it can do. Or, can it? Hmmm.

3. butheadimus prime

butheadimus prime Picard?

Ebay:
    Well let me tell you microsoft is having its problems but still the best out there. Sony's problems are not making headlines for some reason. Don't get me wrong I loved sony's work for years and I was the first of anyone I knew to get a PS2 but this time around was different they didn't impress me enough to be the first for a PS3 and almost a year later still not impressed. I want a 3 way battle but it doesn't look like a 3 way fight yet. Get a 360 the warrantee is longer now and you will be happy with the games and the 99 glitchless network. If you are concerned about the price of online gaming remember you have to pay for quality just like anything else.

4. butheadimus prime

butheadimus prime Picard?

Ebay:
    ^^^^
    sums it up better

5. Soundatron

ok game libary aside, which is better?

Anyone here own a PS3?

I'm sure when FFXIII steps in PS3 may take off...maybe not?

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If it weren't for the hardware issues, there would be no question, 360 wins. That said, I think the hardware issues may be a bit overblown. I played the 360 for an afternoon and it was an absolute blast. Perfect compliment to the Wii.

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Not to burst your bubble, but FFXIII may not be Sony exclusive as it has been in the past. Sony is losing rights to previously proprietary properties left and right and their first and second party development companies can't seem to get the games out. The PS3 sorely needs some exclusives to sell the system to gamers of all ages, or it will lose more then it already has.

You can't just compare a system based on hardware alone. If you compare the XBox 360 to the PS3 on paper the PS3 is the winner. But, when you start having development delays, or games being moved to other platforms (PC, Macintosh, XBox 360) it raises concerns that the current development tookit isn't efficient or effective for game design.

The Wii, with its winning motion control, is selling like hotcakes because it is appealing to the non-gamers. Nintendo is pretty much winning those people while the PS3 and XBox 360 are "more traditional" systems with typical console controllers. Both companies acknowledge that and are also developing new control methods and controllers to compete with the Wii.

The PS3 has a much smaller owner base compared to the XBox 360 and has a free online gaming network, but with XBox Live Gold you can get an annual subscription and not worry about a monthly payment. Plus, to compete with Sony (and even Nintendo) Microsoft is expanding their online services to include digital media distribution and even larger Live Arcade games. Eventually you'll be able to download full-length movies and watch them on you XBox 360.

Like you I'd like a PS3 or XBox 360, but I'd like a system to be able to have the internet. The Wii does it, but you use the Wii-mote to enter text. With the PS3 you can get a wireless keyboard to navigate online. You can even do the same with the XBox 360 and if you can't it is just a matter of time before a firmware update is available to support it. I'd recommend finding a friend with one of each system and see if you can get some hands-on time with the system.

8. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Futureruleroftheuniverse Well-Known Member

I'm giving the PS3 until the end of the year for some good games.
    it's really slow at the moment and I'm a bit concerned of how the future of the PS3 will be.
    But hey, the same thing happened to the DS, when it was released there really wasn't much out there to appeal to me. Now I got three pretty cool games I play on rotation with the DS.
    Looking forward to Grand Turismo on the PS3 though.
    Jak and Daxter's gonna return to the PS3 as well from what I heard.
    but at the moment, 360s doing better, but I still have hope for Sony's little 7kilo baby.

9. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Hard decision.

PS3 is overpriced (goodbye pricedrop), and has no games.

360 bricks 33% of the time and has Shooting games. Still a little pricey.

PS3 May have FFXIII, and PS3 will have Halo 3 shootan.

It's your choice. :eek: 

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I made the same decision just recently, and I went with the PS3.

I did not go with the 360 mainly because everyone I know with one has had some problems with the 360's hardware, and everyone of them who owns a PS3 says the PS3's hardware is so much better. And while it is true that 360 currently has a nice line up of games, the PS3 will start really catching up in a few months time. Some great looking PS3 exclusives such as Lair and Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, and the new Ratchet and Clank are coming out very soon. And looking a little bit further into the future, awesome looking games such as Killzone 2 and Little Big Planet should be coming early next year.

All in all, Ive had my PS3 for almost a month now, and I'm loving it. The hardware is fantastic, and Im having a lot of fun with all the PS2/PS3 games I have for it (MGS3, Shadow of the Colossus, Motor Storm, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (remake of the Xbox game though)). If you have a friend with both of them, ask to try them both out, and be sure to take a look at upcoming game releases so you can see whats coming up in the future that you will want.

I would like to get a 360 eventually, but I'm not even considering buying one until they fix the hardware problems and lower the price.

11. Soundatron

true PS3 has been slow though that has happened to both the DS and PS2 and look at where they are now lol. But I'd take PS3 for FFXIII over over-rated Halo anyday. I hate Halo ARGH!

Well for ports, does either one offer better graphics than the other one on the same game?

12. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

PS3

13. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Right now, it looks like its depending on the specific game. Some games are looking better on the 360, while others are looking better on the PS3.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Get a 360.

this is coming from someone who owns a PS3, and does NOT own a 360.

get a 360.

16. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

My local independent game shop owner with no vested interests, told me to go with a PS3 so I did, and I am very impressed with it so far.
    Depends on what you want from a machine - Although the PS3 costs more, he said that getting the 360 to equivalent hardware standards (with a HD player etc.) would take it to the same price.

Still, with all the 'Sony hate' around right now I reckon you'll end up being persuaded to get a 360 so just ignore this post...

17. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    360. My brother has both and plays his 360 way more. He does have Ninja Gaiden and Resistance. Unfortunately that's all he has, because that's really all there is now. Motorstorm is eh for me, I don't care for racers.

I play my 360 a lot. Haven't had any technical issues yet. I love Live Arcade, so many sweet games you can download. Four dollars for updated Missile Command or Centipede/Millipede? Yes I like. I have 15 or so arcade games.

Games I have for 360:
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
    Gears of War
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    Quake 4
    Crackdown
    Transformers
    Lost Planet
    Saints Row
    Call of Duty 3
    Oblivion
    The Darkness
    Dead Rising

I can't wait for Halo 3. September 25th seems so far away!

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The extras the PS3 has are pointless if you want a game system just to play games.
    the 360's extras (live) are awesome if you want a game system just to play games.

every good game on the PS3 (in my opinion) right now is a port of a 360 game, and they arent even ports of the 360's best games. hell, most of the bad games are ports of 360 games too. thats not really gonna change any time soon. the only port that actually works better on PS3 is oblivion, but guess what? no downloadable content YAY. no, for that, you have to repurchase it as the "game of the year" version that comes out this fall that will have shivering isles on it. how awesome is that? 120 dollars if you were "stupid" enough to buy oblivion when it hit the PS3. 120 for one game. wow. but thats bethesda's fault, not sony's. DLC is being done by a lot of companies on the Playstation Store right now. just not by bethesda. because they're fucking stupid. [/angryoblivionplayer]

you get a 360, you have access to a big library of awesome games NOW.

you get a PS3, and you'll have access to a decent library of good to awesome games by mid 2008.

19. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Futureruleroftheuniverse Well-Known Member

Jak and Daxter's coming out for the PS3 soon, Ninja Gaiden's pretty cool, Grand Turismo will be out in December apparently.
    just be patient, the 360s a year ahead of the PS3 in release date.
    since it's better on paper, one would expect for it to require more time to create a game for the PS3 in comparison to a game on the 360 right?
    more space on the CD, more information to be written.
    PS3s got it's own Blu-ray player while the 360 requires you to buy one to run HD-DVDs... so in the end they kinda work out to be similar prices don't they?
    and if you have a PS3, go download Tekken 5: DR for it
    that $20 game is oh so awesome.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    a new "filler" title will be (like GTHD is now). GT5 is still years away.

Prettier Xbox 1 port.

it doesnt require you to buy it. HD-DVDs are not and will not be used for games. just as a way to watch HD-DVD movies.

it may be "better on paper", but here in the real world, the 360 tends to edge out the PS3 in most multiplatform games when it comes to graphics and game speed.

the only actual hardware advantages the PS3 has over the 360 are:
    blu ray discs allow for more storage, and every system has a hard drive unlike the 360, so developers use it a lot, which alone is a HUGE advantage. of course, once developers actually figure out how to use it properly, the cell will probably be a big advantage too. but right now, it's confusing most of them.