PS3: Number 2 in Japan

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omega Supreme-1, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745507p1.html

November 13, 2006 - Weekend numbers are in for the PlayStation 3's Japanese debut, and they aren't pretty. Enterbrain, the publisher of Japan's Weekly Famitsu magazine, reports today that Sony managed to sell 88,400 PlayStation 3 units over the system's first two days. This number breaks down to 33,800 20GB models and 54,600 60GB models.

If you think those hardware numbers are low then check out these software figures: the best selling game over the period was Bandai Namco's Ridge Racer 7, which sold 30,300 copies. This was followed by Gundam Crossfire at 30,000 units and Resistance, at 15,700 units. Figures for Genji and SEGA Golf Club, the two other launch titles, were not provided.

Enterbrain reports a software-hardware tie ratio of 0.98, meaning less than one game purchased for every PS3 sold.

These numbers sound eerily similar to the Xbox 360's launch last year. In its first two days, the 360 managed sales of 62,135 hardware units, Enterbrain reported in the days following the launch. The biggest selling game then was Ridge Racer 6, with 29,891 units, followed by Perfect Dark Zero, at 14,897 units.

Of course, the PS3 was, for all intents and purposes, sold out within hours of launch, while Microsoft filled Japanese shops with 100,000 additional 360 units, which have only recently gotten around to selling. The 360 is, technically, the number one next-generation system in Japan at this point, but that will likely change once Sony gets another shipment out. Something that we expect will happen some time in 2007.

Though who didn't see the point on the software not selling because to be quite honest you are dishing out too much already on the console itself.

2. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'll say it again, until it comes down in price, they're fighting uphill...

3. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

What about the Wii? They dont expect that to do that great.

4. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What IGN is saying it'll be either PS3 or Wii in first with X-Box 360 dead last.

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

oh...i was skimmin' and certain words caught my eye while certain words i didnt see.

6. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

The problem with the console sales is that, as stated, they essentially sold out. They couldn't have sold more even if they wanted to. The real question will be how sales hold up as the supplies increase.

7. Heartagram28

Heartagram28 Soundwave owns!

Did you know that in Japan they dropped the 20GB to $420.00, I'm sure they won't drop the price in the states though....

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

There wasn't a 1:1 ratio of games to consoles because of the scalpers. Hi.

9. Onslaught Phase 2

Onslaught Phase 2 Know my name and fear it!

I'm not getting a PS3 for several reasons, but honestly, for the hardware and functionality, the PS3 is a deal. The cost of the BLU ray format alone accounts for a lot of it's "value." By value, I mean get a Blu ray player, hard drive, video game machine and what not. Still, it may be a deal, but $600 is still a lot for people, and a lot for some to swallow for a game system. So whatever, I'll be getting a Wii :) 

And yeah $420 in Japan? It's not happening here for sure. There's been no mention of it. They knew about the $420 pricing before it was released in Japan, so it wasn't some sort of surprise or anything.

10. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It's funny, On the radio they essentially said the same thing, only they spun it positive, instead of negative. Considering there launch titles are fairly weak, I think the launch was fairly successful.

11. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Unless blu ray fails to be industry adopted, in which case you're screwed (think UMD situation)

12. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

Wasn't it a similar case when the PS2 came out? There are probably a good number of people buying the PS3 to serve as their "cheap" Blu-ray player. When the PS2 came out in Japan, I think I remember hearing about "low" game sales. Many people were buying the PS2 to serve as their DVD player because it made for a relatively cheap DVD player for the time, at least in Japan.