PS3 Memory trouble...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UnicronFTW, Jan 12, 2012.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    First - a simple question. Is there anywhere on my PS3 Home menu where I can figure out how many GB I have left on the system? Because I can't find anything. Just something that says "???GB remaining" yadyada.

Anyway, the problem. My PC got a virus a little while ago, so I've been using my PS3 as an internet browser pretty frequently. And it's worked fine. But yesterday I go to google, (the actual google, not that built in search thing.), search "TFW2005", and then before the page finishes loading I get a little notification saying "Not enough memory replacing active page with blank page" or something of that effect. That freaked me out quite a bit, so I went and deleted all my search history/cookies/history/cache/etc. And it still did it when I went back. I went and made another save slot on a couple of my games, and those went fine, so I'm not actually out of memory. I mean good God, I hope not, I've only had the thing since october...
    So what do you think is wrong with my internet browser? Got any good ideas? Because frankly I'm kind of worried, and a little confused.

2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

head to setting on the XMB. then scroll down to system settings. then scroll all the way down to system information. that should tell you how much memory space is left.

what size ps3 did you get in october? i got a 80 gb back in oct 08 and im gettting a 320 gb soon. i got 9 gb left on the 80 gb.

3. blackTtop

blackTtop No this is not Patrick...

Try having only one window open at a time. Also, turn off JavaScript and see if that does anything. With the browser open, press triangle > tools > Javascript > off.

The browser on the PS3 isn't very good. I've had quite a few problems with mine as well, so it isn't just yours.

4. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    160GB, I think. Lemme check. Yeah, 160. Thanks for the heads up on how to check though, good info to have.
    Alright, Java off. And it isn't an uncommon problem? Well, hopefully that means there's a good fix then. Thanks for the advice. :) 

5. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    So, under system information it says I have "115GB / 149GB" So which is it? XD

6. blackTtop

It's a fraction, telling you you have 115 free out of a total 149 GB, so you've got lots of room. :thumbs2: 

7. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Oh. Well now I feel stupid.

Appreciate it, though. My technology illiterate self was becoming quite disheveled.

8. blackTtop

No problem, happy to help!

I also want to add that if you ever have another error message pop up on the PS3, try typing what it says into Google. That's what I do and I've always found a page somewhere that tells how to fix it.

9. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's always a good idea to. Just I like getting advice face to face, you know?

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The error message you're getting is a RAM issue. It has nothing to do with your hard-disk space.

The PS3 has surprisingly low RAM capacity (well, consoles in general), still running on 512mb, IIRC, so web-browsing, especially with forums with Javascript heavy coding will eat that up pretty damned fast. So yeah, keep it to one or two windows, if you can.

11. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Alright then, that clears it up. I usually have only one window open, but I'll still turn javascript off for all intensive purposes. Thanks man.

12. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Another inquiry-
    If my problem is on account of the RAM being a pain in the arse, then why is it that the page(s) in question loaded fine before? And I'm only now having a problem? I havn't changed any settings that I'm aware of... hmm...

13. zeno

zeno New Member

this is a new problem with java script and the ps3. i use the browser dailey and first noticed it 1-12-2012. i called at&t and sony monday 16th and my internet provider says no problemd at their end and the guy i talked with at sony told me they are aware but have no remedy other than turning java script off.
    this problem is on both my slim running 4.0 and my fat running 3.61.
    the work around is to turn off java script,hit refresh,then do the google search. you can select images too.however to view videos like you tube you got to turn java back on and you can also select other video from the related list.
    also bing .com works with java script on . doing web search and watching video,well the ones that work with the ps3 browser. java on or off and image does not work on bing.
    this not enough memory with java scrpt and google is new and now the ps3 browser is slower to use then before which for me is not good as i use the ps3 browser daily.
    i hope this info helps and forgive my poor spelling.

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Thanks man, that clears it up perfectly. The first time it happened to you and when it started happening to me match up. So, problem solved.
    It's just good to know that its a universal problem and not my system being a jerk.

Thanks for the help guys *thumbs up*

15. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Sorry to double post and resurrect this thread, but I have another question regarding the PS3.

Sometimes, it will sieze up when I'm playing games and stuff, which is fine, and I always get the same response when I turn it back on: "There might be a problem with the harddisk, if there is, it will restore" Yada yada. Should I run the scan, and it find a problem, and needs to restore... will all my data still be there? Games, game saves... Or does it return the machine to factory settings?

16. blackTtop

One of the latest firm ware updates has made a change where if the PS3 isn't shut down correctly, like after a freeze, it will pop this message up. This doesn't mean there's actually anything wrong though, it's just telling you there MIGHT be something wrong. If everything is running OK otherwise, just ignore the message.

What you want to avoid is "Restore PS3 SYSTEM." That is what will return it to factory settings.

17. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I do ignore the message, because otherwise my system runs just fine when playing games and stuff. So if I opt to run the scan the message tells me to run, and a problem is found, it will bring my system back to default?

18. blackTtop

Nope, 'restoring the hard disk' does not return it to default. 'Restoring the system' does, so make sure it's asking about the hard disk and not the system.

I doubt the scan will find anything, but if it does you won't loose any data.

19. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Alright, that's what I needed to know. Appreciate it. :)