PS3: Incomplete Backward Compatibility

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omega Supreme-1, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-11-14T041658Z_01_SP136538_RTRUKOC_0_US-SONY.xml&WTmodLoc=Home-C5-technologyNews-2

Sony PS3 has problems running some PS, PS2 games

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:17pm ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp said on Tuesday its new video game console, the PlayStation 3, does not run some PlayStation and PlayStation 2 software titles properly, the latest problem the electronics maker has encountered in its cash cow game business.

Sound is eliminated on some software titles when played on the PS3, while some other titles do not play on the latest machine at all.

The PS3, launched in Japan on Saturday, is supposed be compatible with game software designed for its previous models.

Sony shares were up 0.9 percent at 4,730 yen by midday, underperforming the Tokyo stock market's electrical machinery index (.IELEC.T: Quote, Profile, Research), which gained 1.72 percent. Shares in rival Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) were up 1.4 percent at 26,070 yen.

Satoshi Fukuoka, a spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment, said the game unit of Sony is checking the compatibility of the PS3 with some 8,000 game titles launched in Japan for the PS and PS2, but declined to give the number of games found incompatible so far.

The Sankei Shimbun daily said on Tuesday about 200 PS and PS2 titles are likely to have compatibility problems.

Fukuoka said Sony plans to solve the problems by online upgrading of system software for the PS3.

By the highly anticipated PS3 launch, Sony is pitting itself against Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) already available Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii, which will hit U.S. stores on Sunday.

Sony plans to start rolling out the PS3 in North America on Friday. Gamers in Europe must wait until March due to a glitch in commercial production of blue laser diodes, a key component of the game gear's Blu-ray high-definition DVD player.

Sony sold 88,400 units of its PS3 in the first two days of the Japan launch, leaving most stores without any stock, video game magazine publisher Enterbrain said on Monday.

Sony aims to ship 6 million units of the PS3 by March.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

2. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Eh, it's the same deal with the Xbox 360. Only three of my Xbox games work on it right now.

3. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ...what?!?!?!

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Was it ever expected to work with everything? I thought they warned the backward compatibility wouldn't be 100%

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

like the 360....i feel bad for those who doesnt go online with their consoles.

6. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

The PS2 has issues with some PS1 games, but it's never been a big deal. I doubt this will be either.

7. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wasn't this a big selling point for sony over the 360 though, about how the 360 could only support a limited number of backwards compatible games, and their's could do all (or nearly all) previous generations games?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the ps3 be successful so that ms and nintendo have some decent competition with this generation, but it seems a lot of what we have been led to believe about the ps3 is turning out to be only partially true or not quite what we expected/hoped (eg killzone footage possibly not being realtime even though they apparently said it was, the regional lockout only applying to ps3 games, etc). That combined with the price of the system, some questionable decisions regarding hardware (non-replaceable controller battery, using cel processors when even IBM is apparently dropping them due to something like 1 in 8 produced actually working), and their seemingly constant bad press (eg lik sang being shut down, the blu-ray imprinting each game to be used on only 1 console, eliminating the used game market), makes it seem like sony is constantly shooting themselves in the foot. Even when/if things are changed, fixed, added, etc to fix problems, it seems that 2 new problems have appeared. Even when they are small problems that will likely only effect 2% of the gaming population, the frequency of the problems appearing makes many people (including myself) weary of dropping 700$ for a system that might or might not have everything I want in the system. You could say that it's just the way the market goes, and if you're scarred of buying a lemon you should wait and see how the system looks once it's launched, seeing the reactions it gets and then deciding. Unfortunately with the low production numbers for this launch, sony is in many ways forcing people to gamble on this if they actually hope to get their hands on the system within the next half a year. Granted if you can't wait half a year for the system then it might not be worth purchasing in the first place, but I think they are playing way too much on the hype that it has caused and the panic of people trying to get one just to be able to get one.

Again though, I'm not trying to rant about how bad sony is, but for a company that has gotten to be as big as it is, and given the success of the the previous playstations, this launch seems pretty inexperienced by comparison to nintendo or even microsoft.

8. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Is their a list of games that aren't working on it?

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I’m not planning on getting the PS3 any time soon but if I was this would not be a deterrent. Backwards compatibility is very low priority for me.

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Out of all the games that were listed, 196 to be exact, only two were completely unplayable. That was FFXI and Guitar Hero. FFXI used the Ps2 hard drive and Guitar Hero's guitar isn't compaitable with the PS3. The rest of the problems were limited to mostly music errors and such. And a patch is already i nthe works to fix it.

It's nowhere near as poor as the backwards compatability of the 360.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

OH NOES SONY DROPPED TEH BAWLZ AGAIN!

You guys are teh funneh.

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

As long as you stick with "nearly all", that statement still seems to be true. And let's be honest, no one is shelling out $600 for this machine in the hopes of playing their favorite PS1 games. The impact of this announcement will be minor disappointment for a small number of gamers.

And complete backwards compatability, which a selling point, was never a big one. The big one was the Blu-Ray player, which was used to justify the extra two bills. The "total", as opposed to "near-total", compatability feature fell somewhere behind online capability and the six axis controller in terms of marketed features.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    When I heard this on the radio I laughed, so what?

Xbox 360 has poor backwards compatibility, but it wasn't mentioned, you know, as comparison. It really seems like the world is looking to kick Sony in the guts.

If they f-up themselves, fine. But all this negative press is almost like everyone egging themselves onto a bash Sony bandwagon.

14. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

Hopefully buy the time I get a PS3 in 2 years they will have solved the problem.

15. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Pretty much. As someone who isn't sold on any system yet, I find G&A pretty damn funny with this stuff. Funny and... kind of sad.

16. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Well it’s not much of a selling point to me, if or when I get a PS3 my Ps2 will still be around so it’s no biggy.

But I hate sony and the bullshit they keep pulling so even though I am not in the least bit bothered by this >insert numerous bitchy nasty sony bashing comments here

17. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    PS3 is has been raping all my childhoods!

18. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

You mean to tell me Sony said they would do something for a product but then screwed up on it at the last second which may result in pushing back said product to a later release date!??!?!

I'm utterly shocked.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Do you guys even read? Or just skim the title and then go nuts?

Cuz I really gotta wonder...

20. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^I have to wonder too