PS3 Game Recommendations Please!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by LigerPrime, Sep 21, 2007.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, I've finally decided to pick up a PS3 and my first game will Dynasty Warriors: Gundam as I'm a Gundam nut and a fan of "beat-them-ups" and "hack-and-slash" but I would like some help on other recommendations.

I would appreciate the top 2 games in each of the mentioned categories:

1. Racing - I'm not a fan of racing but I plan to get one so I can play with family and friends.

2. Fighting - any decent titles so far?

3. Platform - is Sonic the Hedgehog any fun or worth playing?

2. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Racing - Motostorm and Dirt, they are both rally racers though

fighting - Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, is available only as a download, but for only $20. No others I can think of.

platform - do you mean ps3 exclusives? If so, that would be Resistance and Warhawk. Heavenly Sword is also an excellent game, but short.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And if you mean Platformer... just wait for Ratchet. It's coming next month and is better than the latest Sonic.

4. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Yeah, what Oprah Jr said.

5. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the recommendations so far guys! With regards to the platform, I will indeed wait for this Ratchet game! Guess, I will wait for more recommendations!

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    More recommendations? Isn't that like all the games so far on PS3? ;) 

Just joking. Seriously though, I'd say forget Motorstorm and DiRT for now, and see how Sega Rally turns out first before you make any decision about rally games. If its as good as people say it is it will have to be a definite pickup.

7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

ninja gaiden is a good fighting game...

btw Tikgnat your sig is awesome.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Why thank you kind sir.

I did it for the Cool Stuff thread, but it turned out so well its my new sig. In what? Over a year? Wow, time sure flies by.

9. smangerbot

as long as you never change your avatar things will be ok.

10. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    racing: motorstorm and dirt, burnout and gt5 eventually
    fighting: tekken 5 download(which is cheap at $20), and soul calibur 4 later
    platformer: there really aren't a lot of them these days, but the ratchet and clank franchise is the shit and has been for years. It almost sounds like you haven't played any of the previous games, man you're gonna be in for a treat

As for sega really, last I heard it handled like ridge racer(crap series, went totally down hill after the first couple games), just on dirt.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree about the Sig, by the way.

Basically, you got your PS3 right when the flood gates are about to be open, so these recommendations should hold you over until then, though if you are open to change and don't mind a challenge that's worth the price of admition after you get the hang of it, try Lair (rent it first if you can, but for god's sake go through the tutorial...all of it). You will start to see some elements in the graphics that show what the PS3 is and will really be capable of. But in October, you got Ratchet, and Folklore, and in November you have Uncharted.

That being said, Flow and Stardust, and definitely Calling all Cars on the Playstation Store are really fun games, and don't forget to download Grand Turismo Prologue. It's a free download and it's a nice time-waster. I play it when I'm on the phone with my girlfriend to keep me from staring at the wall, but not concentrating too much on a game that might get me in trouble.

12. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Guys, I REALLY appreciate the recommendations! I think I might try out Ninja Gaiden and Lair but the first thing I'm gonna do is play the Gundam Dynasty Warriors game! :D 

I decided on the PS3 because I've been at the beginning of Sony's console start i.e. Ps1...so despite the lack of games, I'm confidenet that eventually more games with decent quality will be released.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I won't disagree with you at all, except just a Ttinsiwinsee bit on the PS1.. I remember being frustrated because I didn't know wether to buy Battle Arena Toshinden, Warhawk, Twisted Metal, or wait a few for Loaded. I definitely had choices. But with PS2, yeah it was pretty slow, though Dark Cloud was a lot of fun.

I played the demo to Gundam. It's good slashing fun to be damn sure. I don't remember if it has multiplayer like the Dynasty Warrior series does, but you just made me consider getting it.

14. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

For fighting a lot of hardcore folk love Virtua Fighter 5. I dunno about it though. Never did get into it.

15. smangerbot

vf5 is good, but a bit skinny in the modes department. esp regarding online play wich the 360 version will have.

i pray to god that the ps3 version of soul caliber has online, as it should technically be the superior version.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Assuming they build it from the ground up, or have a good team porting it like Dirt and Oblivion. Otherwise, probably not.

But yeah I hope it's online, so I can give Pscoop a run for his money with Taki, heheh. Hey Smager, I'm on your friend's list right? I received and sent a bunch of request from folks here, and I wanted to make sure. I played Warhawk with Pscoop last night, though I had to get off early because of an early day today.

17. smangerbot

well i hope it is, i much prefer the ps3 pad for fighting games. the d-pad and buttons are way better imo.

i dunno about the friends list, but just in case my psn tag is "smang". although i probably wont be in front of any games for at least another week or so.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool I'll make sure I add you when I get back this Sunday. I should have left my PS3 on remote play, but I forgot. :( 

19. smangerbot

nice!

20. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Sorry for the late reply, dude! I was too engrossed with the Gundam game! LOL! I seriously underestimated the game...like most fans who bought the game, I assumed that due to the lack of "attacking" from the drones, this game would be a breeze - I was wrong.

The "ace" pilots were pretty tough and the drones kept re-spawning and spawning. I really enjoy the game but because I'm a Gundam fan. IMO - the average fan will probably find this game repetitive.

My goodness, when mentioned games like Battle Arean Toshinden etc the memories came rushing back! LOL!

I will probably be picking up Ninja Gaiden or Motor Storm over the coming week! And may try out Lair as I;m a sucker for Dragons! :D