PS3 - Enlighten Me

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DevilzFan, Dec 31, 2007.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Okay, so I'm looking at getting a PS3 now that I have an HDTV. Mostly for the Blu-Ray aspect, and for some of the upcoming games. Probably going to be a couple of months before I actually get it, but trying to get some research done now.

What's the difference between the models? Other than HD space. Are there any? I've heard some can't do backwards compatibility with PS2 games? I'd prefer one that does, but I suppose I can always get a new PS2 instead. (Though I'd rather not since my old one bit the dust)

If it is true that they aren't doing backwards compatibility anymore, what exactly is the reason?

Also, what are some killer games out now/coming out within a month or two I should look at? (No shooters please)

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, I wanted to get a PS3 eventually, but I actually got one about a week ago because of a really good sale and that I want to be sure I got a backwards compatible one. Anyways, the 80 gig PS3s have the backwards compatibility, more ports, though I am not sure about the specifics of that, and a couple other things. They also come with Motorstorm right now for $500. For $100 less, you get half the memory, Spiderman 3 and lack of backwards compatibilty and less ports.

I got mine at Fred Meyer, which had the 80 gig PS3 for $480 along with a coupon for an additional free Sony PS3 controller. I don't know if it is still going, but I jumped on it before or if they ever stop making the 80 gig model or any model with backwards compatibility.

As for games, I have Heavenly Sword, which is good but short. I also intend to get Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, which looks great. Otherwise there is Resistance, but that's a straight up shooter, and then Ratchet and Clank, but most of the other decent titles are multi platform.

EDIT: Oh, and as for removing the backwards compatibilty and any other feature taken away, it is to make the PS3 fit into a better price range, so they say.

3. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

The cheaper, 40GB PS3 won't play PS2 games, but it will play PS1 games, leaving you with only the 80GB if you want to get rid of your PS2.

The 80GB also has memory card ports for file transferring, IPTV support, and 4 USB ports versus the 40GBs 2 USB ports. The 60GB and 20GB models are discontinued, but if you could find a 60GB version, it seems to be the best since it has everything the 80GB model has (except the disc space) and even supports PS2 hardware (guessing controllers).

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Nope. No PS3 supports PS2 hardware.

the 20 and 60GB versions are the only ones with full backwards compatability. the 80GB's is kinda limited.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus
    This page will tell you what PS2 games will work with what versions of the PS3.

basically, it comes down to a choice between the 60GB version and the 80GB version. They both have the same amount of ports and card readers. the only difference is the hard drive space, and the backwards compatability being a bit worse on the 80GB model. if hard drive space is important, you can put a laptop hard drive in the PS3 without voiding the warranty.

the 20GB and 40GB should not even be considered. They suck. They really do.

5. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    What's wrong with the 20gb version? I've had it for a year and have no complaints.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah if you are unhappy with the storage in your PS3, you can easily replace the HD with something bigger and not void warranty. Been meaning to do this actually.

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Thanks for the info folks. Guess I'll go for the 80gb version in a couple of months when I'm ready for purchase. Shelf space is limited, so I'd rather have just a PS3 hooked up rather than a PS3 and PS2. According to the link from Valksys (thanks dude!) all my PS2 games I own are compatible with the 80gb PS3.

Once I get it, it'll mainly be a blu-ray/PS2 player, but once some more good PS3 games start hitting, I wanna be ready. Saw a preview of that "Little Big Planet" and looks freaking cool, so that pretty much helped make my decision.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No card readers, no wi-fi.

Also, be sure to pick up a memory card adapter so you can transfer all your PS2 saves over to the PS3.

9. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

The 80 gig is good, but if you can find a 60 gig, you might be more pleased with it as I've heard that even the games that are compatible with the 80 gig might not run as smoothly.

10. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    The only one I would ever consider is the 60 GB one, and then I would have to find a hell of a good deal on it.

11. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm starting to think that sometimes too much choice is a bad thing. Is there any word on models they plan to release in the next 12 months?

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I think we will see 3 more this year. Personally I'm waiting for the 10GB NoUSB, No Backward Compatibility at all (Not even PS1) $350 model.

13. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    People keep complaining that they want the price to be lower, sony makes changes to lower the price, people keep complaining.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    because they do stupid things like take out software-based backwards compatability as a cost-cutting measure, but since it's software-based, it doesnt actually have an impact on the price one way or another.

15. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

I have a 40gb and it's fine. I only need two USB ports (if I need more I'll get a hub) and if I want to use a memory card, I can just get an USB adapter for that too.

And I have a PS2 still that works fine, so no need for backwards compatibility.

Honestly it just comes down to if you want to save a bit of cash.

16. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

I have a 40 GB PS3 as well and Im pretty happy with it. It plays the games and Blu-ray disks just fine.

17. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is this actually going to happen or is it speculation / a joke?

18. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That would be a joke.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Unless you want to upscale PS2 games, which the PS3s with backwards compatability are able to do.

20. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I didn't actually realize this until last night when I happened to read an article about it, but the PS3 supports standard 2.5" hard drives, you can buy whichever one you want. That's pretty cool and impressive of Sony, especially when Microsoft tries to get away with selling 20GB drives for like $100 or whatever it is for the Xbox. And it isn't a hack either, it's fully supported by Sony. You just pop a door on the back off and unscrew a door. The more I read about the PS3 the more I like it, especially in light of the 360's near 100% failure rate.