PS3 DVD Playback issue.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    All DVDs these days have advertisements of films and such before the main menu is reached and you can usually press the Menu button or Chapter skip to skip all the crap and get straight there....except on the PS3.

Anyone know how to do this? When I press the Top Menu button it simply says it can't be done which is bullshit considering it can be done on other DVD players so I feel right to assume some setting somewhere is disabling it, anyone know how to sort it? I know its a minor thing but I just wanna pop in my DVD and watch it, not wait 10 minutes to get to it.

Also fuck the PS3 for having a mirad of settings, its not needed and makes the easiest task a fucking ball ache. Hell the only reason I watch DVDs on my PS3 is to try and justify its existance in my home. Fucking piece of shit :( 

2. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Y'know this actually interesting. My roomie just built his new uber computer a couple of weeks ago. He waited for Windows 7 to be released, before doing anything. He has a Blu-Ray drive installed and he also can't skip past the trailers either. Is this a Blu-Ray thing?

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just please please consider me if you plan on selling it, because we really want a second one for my fiance. Some of us use those settings by the way, and more often than not. Also, I can't skip to main menu on all DVDs, so I just use the 120 speed to get to main almost as fast :D 

Also, Rec, if it's making you SOOOO upset, why not just watch them on your 360? :D 

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Could be. I am watching a DVD but as its a Blu-Ray drive maybe its something they can't do.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also, if it's worth it for you, I might be getting rid of my HaloEd 360 if Mass Effect 2 works on my PC, so if this is the case, perhaps a trade might interest you, should you want a second-well working 360.

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Maybe, i'll let you know. I'm getting Uncharted 2 for Christmas so i'm hoping that game gets me using it more.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just thought of something. How do you UK PS3s and 360's work in other countries as far as region encoded games and movies?

8. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    360's would be encoded to the region it was bought in.
    There are some region free games but other than that you'd be suck with American releases and have to pay slightly more to import than a retail version here.

Not sure about the PS3 games, but if it was the same region locking on the games then it would be the same as the 360 I mentioned above. The Blu-Rays and DVD would be region locked to America.

Then there is the power requirements to consider as well.
    US is 110 Volts, UK is 240.

9. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Now, now... The PS3 is just ahead of its time :p 

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know the Transformers 1986 bluray works on my PS3, but yeah there might be issues there in terms of power and games.

Oh well. I'll probably just buy a slim.

11. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

sqaure=main menu R1=chapter skip
    I have not seen this not work on any dvd, unless its an old dvd that forces you to watch previews anyways

12. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Same with me. In that case, usually hitting R2 to fast forward will work. If none of these work, then it's the DVD, not the console.

13. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    All DVDs I have let me skip. I can put it in a DVD player and skip it all fine, yet on the PS3 it wont skip. All I get on screen is a message telling me "This operation isn't available".

14. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Weird. It may be a region thing because my American one can skip pretty much all without a problem. Not really sure why they would intentionally change it though. But try pressing the R2 button to Fast Forward, that may work.