PS3 Display issue. Help needed.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I'm gonna list my set up and situation to make it easier to understand. My problem is that when I play PS3 games from a disc the picture quality is much worse than that of a PSN title and I don't understand why.

• My PS3 is hooked up to my HD TV (The same which my 360 is hooked up to, and has no problems, I never change the ratio of my TV)
    • My PS3 is connected to my HD TV via HDMI and displays at 1080i.
    • The picture quality on the main menu/XMB is superb and crisp.
    • When I play a PSN title which is displayed in 720p (i.e Ratchet & Clank) the picture quality remians sharp and crisp.
    • When I play a PSN title which is displayed in 1080i (i.e Wipeout HD) the picture quality remains sharp and crisp.
    • When I play a PS3 game that has a resolution of 720p (as indicated by the back of its box) the picture downgrades and the quality is a little fuzzy around the edges, especially on fonts and menus and any white colour comes accross as cream or yellow-ish.
    • When I play a PS3 game that has a resolution of 1080i/1080p the picture quality isn't sharp and the white comes accross as a tinted cream colour.

Are there some settings (in the mirad of settings available) that I need to check to keep the picture sharp while playing PS3 games?

Thanks to those who help :) 

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey Recall, download the demo to Uncharted 2 (I think there is one) and Ratchet and Clank (the new one) and see if the situation persists. Since I know Uncharted 2 is 720p and Ratchet is as well, you can see if the same persists on those games.

I know Uncharted 2 is 720p and doesn't have any of those issues, so if the demo does then there might be a setting off

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Great idea Prowl, i'll give it a try. I think im gonna have to dig out the manual as there are sooooo many options in the display settings that something may be there able to help, and I just don't see it.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was looking at my own settings and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I know if you hold the Power button (when turning it on) for a few seconds, it will reset all your display settings, and then you can start over and maybe that will jolt whatever issue it might have.

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Something odd happenend. If I just turn on my PS3 then put in a game disc, it displays oddly. Yet If I play a PSN title or watch a Blu-Ray then play a game disc afterwards the problem doesn't present itself.

No idea why, but hey, at least its a feasible work-around :D 

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, since most folks here say it sarcastically, hehehe, but did you try googling it to see if anyone else has had that issue?

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Its the first thing I always check when I have an issue. Google is my friend its just a shame it always delivers the same useless help :lol 

8. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Does the problem persist if you set the PS3's max resolution to 720p rather than 1080i?

Edit:

Another idea. Could it be something to do with your TV's scaling?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  9. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    the sony website is alot of help, i know theres also a safe mode on the playstation thatll restore the default settings and that helped me on ALOT of stuff.

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    If I force it to have a max resolution of 720 then everything is kinda fuzzy around the edges and no longer sharp and crisp.

It may be an issue with my TV but its the same TV that works perfectly fine with my Xbox 360 and of course the PSN games.

Cheers, I'll have a look into it today :)