PS3 delayed in Europe and shippment cut for the rest of the world

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Boardwise, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

I just want to say:

1. If those launch numbers are correct, Sony could be in for a real problem. Particularly in Japan, where I think they are still very willing to help Sony keep the top marketshare....if Sony would let them.

2. Europe loves Sony; and in return, they were chosen to get the shaft. That's love.

3. It's funny watching folks rationalize the ol' "Buy and sell the impossible console on Ebay' trick as it is the ol "downloading music" trick.

I'm not saying it's wrong or right, but come on...people, that is pretty much the definition of scalping.

Also, to drip: As I mentioned above, I'm not gonna bash you (hey it's a smart plan) but your rationalizing is way off: the guy at EB getting the system isn't really any different from you.

You're both getting in early to secure a system, and both paying the retail price. And both planning on making more money on Ebay. It's the same thing, pretty much.

2. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

They may have other reasons - in Europe, a TWO year warranty is legally requred on items such as consoles. Sony may be ducking Europe until they're happy that the majortity of PS3 units they're producing will last that two years.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Which would mean that Sony may be aware that the machines might not last 2 years without fault... which sounds even worse...

Whichever way you look at it this delay is another indication that the PS3 is going to get a sloppy launch. We'll see. I just want VF5 to not be PS3 exclusive. Please Sega? Pretty please? Cuz VF5 might be enough to swing it for me. Seriously.

4. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena CyberCon is #1! Veteran

News Credits:
    What I don't understand is that if after all of this time Sony wasn't able to secure plausible yields of those blue diodes, what makes you think that they'll be able to get millions of them within the next few months. I suspect there will be shortages for many months to come, a-la-Xbox 360.

5. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Ehh… it might be in some EU country (but I can't think of any off the top of my head) but it certainly isn't required in all, such as the UK, which legally requires nothing more than a 14 day warranty and the somewhat vague notion that 'goods are fit for the purpose for which they are sold'. There's be precious little point in Dixon's extended warranties if the same was already guaranteed for free.

UK PS2's only have a 90 day warranty.

Phazer

6. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

Absolutely. There is most definitely a cost for shit (I never said or implied otherwise). Except if you look at my quote, I was explicitly talking about the fair market value of shit.

Indeed. I'm a glutton for punishment apparently. Though by now, I've pretty much had enough.

It's far from moot. If I set my opening bid at the reserve price, I'm not really letting the market decide what the final bid should be. A reserve price in no way adversely affects someone, anyone, from making a bid of whatever they feel the item is worth. And $1 is about as low as you can start out. The only purpose a reserve price has, at least in this specific instance, is to cover my ass on the low end. No one likes to lose money on auctions right? As an aside, I disclose what my reserve prices are in the auction descriptions.

7. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I call it scalping... but that's all I'll say on that matter.

But, what if everyone put up their PS3 up on ebay? If that happened, would the sold price still be as high? That would be funny, if everyone did that.

Also, the fact that the PS3 is so much more expensive-- would that also cut into how high it will get sold for?

I'm not much of a gamer anymore but... haven't people learned NOT to believe the hype? Especially the Sony hype...

Is the darn machine gonna have any real must-have launch titles? I also think its gonna take at least 2 years for game developers to really take advantage of the PS3 architecture. First gen PS3 games are probably gonna look like souped up X-Box 1 games.

I don't know... My honest impression is that the general public is just not as excited about the PS3 as they were about the PS2 and PSP. People were really excited about the PSP on launch day and look at how they all feel about the machine now...

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It IS moot, because nobody is deciding on any price other than $600 or more. It's not like you're giving it up for half that, so it has absolutely no point. No one is getting it for less than $600. If this was a real live auction, and the auctioneer stated something to the effect of, "We will start the bidding for this item at $1, but we won't let it leave the auction house for any less than $600", what do you think the first bid will be? Why would the auctioneer even BOTHER starting it a $1?

You disclose the reserve price? Then it's even MORE pointless to start the bidding at $1. Who the hell is going to bid less than $600 if they KNOW they can't have it for less than that? YOU are setting the "fair market price", and disclosing it. I don't get your logic on this at all.

Unless you have some type of strategy or are trying for a bidding war with the $1 opening bid, there's absolutely no point or gain to be had for it.

9. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I really don't care if someone scalps and says it's just pure economics, because that is pretty much true. What I care about is people scalping and not admitting that they are being total assholes by snatching up extras of something that they don't want and taking them out of the hands of people who do want them, only to say, "you can buy it for what it's worth on eBay." That's bullshit. If that were true, no one would ever stand in line early for a system because they would recognize that the price they were going to pay on eBay is worth not having to stand in line early and chance not getting a system at all. But, somehow, tons of people still prereserve and stand in line early on the day of release. That says that they aren't willing to pay those "fair market" prices that the scalpers keep mentioning.

It is basic economics, but it's also the economics of assholes who don't really care about the people who make up their society. So by all means, scalp some PS3's, just admit that you're being a real jackass when you do it.

10. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    What part of this sentence do you fail to comprehend. The buyer determines the final price, NOT THE SELLER. And again I will ask, what do you want to do about it?

11. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

No, I am setting the value for myself. What it's worth to me. What I am willing to part with it for. No one else. If people don't share the same view as to what it's worth to me, then the highest bid doesn't get to the reserve price, the item isn't sold and I have to relist it with a lower price (a more accurate fair market value). It's economics, supply and demand.

Further, I tell people what it's worth to me as a courtesy and because I value forthrightness (is this a word?) and honesty in my transactions. Who likes bidding on a reserve price auction when you have no clue as to what the seller is looking for? It could be $10 or $1million eh? And what is really pointless and not logical in any way is bothering to bid on an auction like this when the reserve is set way too high (and chances are, you don't even know it until the auction ends and you've already wasted your time).

Thanks for the dialogue, I like debate and discussion.

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    OK, BUT WHY WOULD THEY BOTHER BIDDING LESS THEN THE MINIMUM YOU SET THAT YOU'VE TOLD THEM ABOUT?

There's economics, and then there's just sticking to an argument that makes no sense just because we can't admit we're wrong. And thanks for ignoring all the other very good points I brought up in my last post.

13. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

Capitalistic society for the loss? If that's your position, I can see your point (but not agree with it).

I vote for communism. Everyone gets a PS3! Heh.

14. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

Um...hoping it doesn't get to the reserve and I'll relist at a lower price? Um...hoping I'll give it to someone on a second chance offer. Um...because they haven't figured out how to watch auctions in their My Ebay? Um...because they like the thrill of having a high bid for a specific moment in time. Um...because they're bored?

And it looks like I thanked you too soon. I don't view myself as wrong. I don't view you as wrong either. But when that starts coming out, the debate/discussion is over. Ah well.

15. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

I didn't intentionally ignore anything, my apologies that I've offended you. That being said, welcome to my world.

16. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    NM Sorry, I totally misread that.

17. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am so glad i knew when the consoles were announced that i wouldn't get a ps3 and get the wii first

18. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    It is what it is... And it will never go away in a capitalistic, free market society... Which is why I don't understand the reason this topic keeps coming back...

It's like "Tastes great, less filling..." All a matter of personal views and opinions...

I know where I stand on the topic... I used to hate scalpers and wanted to do something about them wherever I went... Then Viv explained to me the birds and bees of Economics and now I'm at peace...

19. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

Hmmm...perhaps I wasn't being clear? I was referring to the employee of a retail store or a person who has connections with one that is able to manipulate the system. You know, doesn't have to abide by the limit of one per person or doesn't have to buy bundles or doesn't have to preorder months in advance. That kind of thing. I have to do it just like the guy walking in off the street because, well, I am the guy walking in off the street. I view that as being tremendously different.

20. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    And then two seconds after you post it, the guy with money and a brain jumps on it for $601, just to be outbid three seconds later. If the past is any clue, that's what will happen.

It's not even an issue, really. If it makes you happy to start it at a buck, do it. It's not hurting anybody. It's not hurting you.

The fact is, this thing will probably QUICKLY raise over $1000 on Ebay, and I would imagine you understand that quite well, or you wouldn't bother with doing this at all. The whole $1 start is a minor formality that will have no outcome on the final price. Hell, you won't even need the reserve.