PS3 Controllers and Chargers

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Bendimus Prime, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    My new PS3 just shipped, and while I'm sure I'll learn, I haven't used a DualShock controller since the PS1. Has anyone used the 3rd party 360-like PS3 controllers? Which ones are good, which ones suck, etc (I don't mind using a USB dongle/key, I just don't want any lag)?

Has anyone tried this unit:Nyko - Products - Raven (alternative)?

It grabs my eye because not only does it have the 360 layout, but can be used with their charger: Nyko - Products - Charge Base 2 (charge the Nyko controller and the DualShock 3 on the same base)

Also, what's the best DualShock charging unit out there?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Wouldn't it be easier to just get used to a new controller?

3. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Oh, I probably will, I just always heard the analog placement felt awkward for FPS games.

Even if I stick with the official DS3 controllers, what chargers are good? I keep reading about ones that work well, but don't power off by themselves? Like I have the Nyko 360 controller recharger, and it powers down on it's own when the batteries are recharged.

I don't want to mess up the DS3 batteries, but I can't ever find the Sony charging cradle anywhere, just the Nyko an Energizer ones.

4. blackTtop

blackTtop No this is not Patrick...

I've only ever used the PS3 to charge it and that works just fine. The cable's a little short, but you can use it while it's charging (unlike the cradles I'm guessing). The charge lasts for a long time, and it doesn't take long (maybe 20 min?) to charge up fully.

My experience is the controller that comes with the system though, and I've never used a third party one before. Hopefully someone else can help you with that. :) 

5. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    One thing that has kept me from using any 3rd party PS3 controllers is that they can't turn the system on.

I'd LOVE to have a 360 molded PS3 controller(it just fits my hands better), but that one detail bugs me enough not to buy one.

6. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

The controllers are charged via a Mini-USB port. (Thank you, Sony.) You don't need to waste money on a recharger. You can charge them through the PS3. I've charged mine on the PC and using my phone charger as well. And if you don't like the short cable, you can always find a USB/mini-USB cable just about anywhere.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Skip the charger and buy an extra official PS3 controller. Have one charging while you're using the other one:2c: 

8. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    I agree. This is what I do, and it's always nice to have a second controller in case you need it (first one breaks, someone else wants to play a game with you).

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008