PS3 cloud saving is finally here (PSN+ required)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Main reason why I would use this is because we only have cable on one tv so sometimes i want to play a game in the bedroom but dont feel like rummaging through save files and putting them on a usb to move them over. Some of them dont even transfer. So I can see myself using it from time to time.

3. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome, I will be upgrading my HD soon so this backup would make if feel better in case something unexpected happens during the transfer.

4. AMG

AMG Old School

It's a great option to have.

5. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

oh why did i think this was about ff7.

6. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

It would be great if I had the PSN+ but I am not willing to drop 50 bones just to have that.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because Cloud saves people, and your games.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That could certainly be useful, especially for games where the saves are non-transferable normally. Too bad it's premium account only, though.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sony Saves!

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it, but I don't really like the 24 hour deal. Basically, you can upload indefinitely, but accessing your saves has to be done 24 hours after the previous download. I don't understand the purpose of it.

As a backup solution, yeah, it's nice to know that my PS3 can be stolen, yellow light, or be eaten by my cat and my hard work on Dragon Age 1 will still be in tact, but if I want to take my save to my other room and continue a game, I have to go USB, assuming the game save isn't locked.

For me Plus has completely paid for itself and then some. I'm not basing it on 12 year old games being released for free, but games like Stacked, and all of the Sam an Max episodes alone (free) have paid for the 50 bucks, then getting Castle Crashers for 7 bucks and all of the Syphon Filter PS 1 games for free have made the value far more than my initial investment. That doesn't factor in the other games that I have gotten free that I may have never bought, but were nice to have, and then bonuses like these (which to be honest could be for all members, but still makes me feel better about my investment).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    But the moment you let any year lapse though those games no longer become "free" but that's neither here or there I'm guessing.

I have no idea if I would even use the cloud feature but just having it would be nice. How is the UI and general useability of the cloud, do you think it's even remotely to lose any save?

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm all for things being on the cloud -but I don't understand the 24 hour deal.

It's a pain just having to carry my profile on USB from one Xbox to the next.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Correct, but not games that are on sale. In other words, if I bought Castle Crashers for 7 bucks, it will always be mine. I think you can keep the PS1 games also, but not the PSN games, like Stacker.

The UI is pretty simple. There is a new folder above the save games that represents cloud. It sits next to the USB icon and when you press triangle on a save, you can just copy it there. Haven't tried downloading it, but it's supposd to work the same.

Yeah I don't understand the 24 hour thing either, Smash. I like that I can back up my saves, but I had illusions of letting my fiance watch Golden Girls while I went to the other room to play Dragon Age. I can still do it, but I want the lazy approach. I guess if I'm going outta town and want to play a game at a friend's or bring a profile over, then it works perfectly, but status in a game that's changing "like saving on Mass Effect" doesn't really benefit as much as opening my Fallout character on my friend's PS3.