PS3 60GB to be discontinued in US

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by pinoy78, Jul 13, 2007.

1. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

so the 60gb version is more of a clearance item then :lol 

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Moved to new thread as this deserves its own discussion.

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So wait, will the 20gb still be made now? Or are they just sticking with the 80gb after the 60gb's are all sold? If so, that solves nothing.

5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    They stopped making the 20GB's earlier this year, like March. It's going to be solely the 80GB version in the US after July.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

One step forward, 20 steps back?

They finally get a decent price for the system worth getting, with some potentially good games on the horizon, and they just go right back to the super high pricepoint only deal? Unless they plan to drop the 80gig's price at the same time they stop making the 60gig, I don't see any goood coming out of this.

7. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think 20 extra gigs and a game are enough incentive for people to purchase the system. They should have stuck with the lower price point.

8. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

to answer someone's question in the other thread, yes the PS2 upscales. There is an option for it under the settings.

9. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

If this is true, and I emphasize if, this is a great big poke in the eye to gamers. They just whored themselves on G4 (as did Nintendo and MS) and repeatedly emphasized the $100 price cut, not the $500 fire sale.

10. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

I have a hard time believing this is true myself.

11. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It's not like it's coming from some anonymous source. It's coming directly from a Sony president.

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It's coming from a Sony EUROPE president though, talking about the US. I'm holding out hope that he's mistaken or misinformed, because if he's not this is outrageously stupid on Sony's part. They're widely considered to have trounced Nintendo and Microsoft at E3, and this news will annihilate all the goodwill they've built this week.

13. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think it would annihilate all the good. It's kind of a stupid idea, yeah. But it doesn't destroy all the awesomeness coming up.

I can even kind of see the intention there. It almost makes sense to just do one SKU, and they clearance the old model to make way for the new bundle. And even if they continue the 60GB production it would inevitably switch to software bc as well. So bottom line, go buy your 60GB PS3s now. :p  I know I'm trying to scrounge me up some $s.

14. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

All? No. Much? Certainly.

To make matters worse, there are rumors that a second cut will come later in the year.

How'd you like to be the one buying a 60 gig system, only to find out if you waited a couple of months you could get the new 80 gig for the same price?

Or howabout being an early 80 gig adopter and then learning that you could have saved $100 (the rumored cut) if you waited?

Of course if it's not true, then Sony is just flipping the bird to anyone who thought they could wait to the holidays to get the semi-affordable version.

15. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Mr. Fuel, meet Mr. Fire...

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14685

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Between this and the PSP "revamp" I think I've lost all hope in Sony's gaming division.

17. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

I'm a Sony boy at heart but I really wonder at their business decisions, heads need to either start rolling or having a good hard slap methinks

18. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I've lost hope in it a while ago. Nothing but hypocrites over there.

19. VIZGIX

VIZGIX Smug Bastard TFW2005 Supporter

arg...so agrivating....I like sony, but this is getting out of hand! And can't even think about the system for a week without hearing some CRAZY news! Im gonna go with Wii I think (way more stable). I like psp alot and they have some good games cooming out/already out (FF tactics, new FFV II game, Valkarye Profile, Megaman X, battlefront) ..... ohh and whats the deal with the psp 'revamp'?

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Along those lines, how would you like to be a consumer who bought a Bluray player only to find out that Sony makes another Blu-ray player that also plays video games and is hundreds of dollars cheaper?

This lady I work with said she is going to get a Blu-ray player now that Blockbuster is carrying it. She said she is getting a Sony player for $800. I said she should get the PS3 for $500 -she didn't even know it was out.
    She was like "It plays the movies , too? Why wouldn't I just get that?" I was like "Exactly".

I also think its funny that Reeves thinks that the 60 GB models will all be gone by the end of July. I talk to the guy in the electronics at Wal-mart and he said they only move about 1-2 Playstation 3s per month. I doubt the price going down to $500 is going to start making them fly.