Ps3 60gb or 80 gb?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by neek_buster, Aug 10, 2007.

1. neek_buster

neek_buster The One Man Army

News Credits:
    Hey I was thinking to buy a PS3, which on do you guys recomend of getting?

what exactly the purpose of bigger drive?

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

If it was up to me, i'd be getting the 60 gig over the 80 in a heartbeat. for 100 extra bucks, Motorstorm and 20 more gigs of HD space aren't worth it to me, if I wanted a bigger HD id buy one on my own.

3. neek_buster

neek_buster The One Man Army

News Credits:
    yeah that was I thinking... anyway what are the uses of HD in PS3 anyway? to save games?

4. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Game saves, music, pictures, new content such as map macks, PSN games like Mortal Kombat 2 and Calling all Cars, PSN Playstation 1 games, Game videos and demos, Movie trailers, and in the future downloadable movies and tv shows.

I'd vote for the 60 gig version as well, from what I understand HDs are easy to swap out and you could get one larger than 80 gigs for the $100 you'll save.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mentioned this in another Thread. I have two movies (encoded 480p AVC), Season 3 of Lost, a crapload of trailers and videoes. like 6 episodes of South Park. Dr. Smoov's transformers videoes. A LOT of music. Demos to everything PSN has had on the store, and like 4 Playstation 1 games, and I still have 18 gig left on my 60. I think you'll be ok with 60.

Oh, and you don't void warranty if you swap drives later, and there is a way to temporarily back your stuff up while you swap, and PSN will remember the things you have purchased.

6. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Go with the 60gb model. It so easy to replace the HD and upgrade. One main purpose is downloadable content via the PSN. Basically, in the near future you will be able to download complete games like Warhawk from the PSN at $20 less then retail blu-ray version. The limitation on this kind of thing will be HD capacity.

I think you should be fine with the 60gb for quite some time though. Unless they really do turn the PS3 into a DVR early next year. I'd be surprised if it was effectively done though. You should be safe.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Can the PS3 stream music and videos from your PC like the 360 can or do you have to house the media on the PS3 itself?

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, good question, not sure. I know I can go to Youtube and IGN and watch streaming videos from there (on my PS3), but I dont know if that applies.

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It can stream from your PC, but I'm not sure about the format compatibility. It doesn't recognize all of my music. And I'd go for the 80 GB. Motorstorm is a great game if you like racing/off road style games and the extra 20GB is should be helpful later down the road.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just watched TMNT on bluray. Damn, it looks like you can reach into the tv and touch the characters.

11. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I have a 60 gig and a ton of stuff on it. I still have about 20 gigs left and could easily free up space if I needed it.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    go with the 60GB model.

the 80GB model features the new gimped backwards compatability - software emulation rather than having the old hardware in. Not all PS1 and PS2 games will work on it, and you have to hope that they add support for them later. Of course, software emulation means that the new PS3s will NEVER be able to play all PS1/PS2 games.

to me, thats reason enough to ignore the 80GB version.

13. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I can stream music but I haven't figured out how to stream video from my PC yet.

14. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    For sake of ease. I will just go ahead and 2nd everything that he said. I am pretty happy w/ my 60 gig PS3.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    In that regard it sounds exactly like the 360 then.

16. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

My 360 has no problems with any of my music. Video has to be WMV though. PS3 I have no idea what it accepts as far as video, I can't get it to stream much of anything.

17. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The extra 20GB is nothing more than a stop gap.

As for the software emulation..... if you want to play PS2 games, play them on a Ps2.

18. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I bought the 60g because they went on sale because of the soon to come 80g. Now, if I wanted to get videos off the web or music videos...I have a 180g computer for that...I bought the PS3 to play games on. So why go for the highest gig storage if you are just to play games. Plus I don't plan to play PS2 or PS1 games on it because, that is why I still have my PS2 and PS1. Same reason I kept my Gamecube, and have a Wii as well. Plus I never played DVDs on my ps2 or stood it vertical...that is how problems start with the system...so this PS3 will NOT stand up vertical...I may play a blue ray on it but nothing more. I've seen too many systems go to shit from standing vertical, and I for one am not gonna waste my time doing so, or waste the effort to have to get it exchanged because of that.

That is my opinion.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, since the AVC codec became available for the recompression of videos, I have never used anything else, since AVC allows for 480-1080p, so if I have a source that's originally HD, AVC maintains that and makes it look great and a decent storage hit. My PS3 have never had any issues with music at all.

Aside from the Dr. Smoov stuff I have, everything else, like Lost S3, is in HD. Because the Streaming stuff looks like crap on my TV.

20. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Ditto when I eventually get my PS3 it will definetly be a 60gb one.