PS3 20/60 differences?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Wreckgar, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

So what are the differences between the 2 systems? Main thing i am asking is:

- Can you put in PS1 and 2 memory cards and are there memory ports?

I was looking and the 20 doesn't seem to have it. But I also don;t play that many games so I don't think I'd use more than a 20GB HD anyway. But if I were to use that up, then what?

2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    With broadband access, updates, and game add-ons the 20GB will likely fill up quickly. If you can afford it, go for the full 60GB or higher if available.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Nope. Sony said quite some time ago that you can't. It's rare that they deliberately say something bad about their consoles, so we can be pretty sure it's no lie.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

There's an adapter you can buy (read somewhere) to put PS2 mem cards in the PS3

5. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^Exactly

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

So they say. I haven't actually seen the alleged adapter offered anywhere yet. Even once you can actually get one, it was described as copying a sort of "virtual card" image of the card's contents to the PS3's hard drive. I don't recall if they said you couldn't write it back to the card, but I remember a few people making a fuss that they didn't say that you could. Either way, it's not the same as simply being able to put your card in the system and have it work. Like just about anything else Sony says about their consoles, I'll believe it when I actually see it. Until then, it's just a promise. To say that promises from Sony have a 50% truth-to-bullshit ratio would be rather generous.

7. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

That and the fact that some of the games require them to be 'installed' on the ps3 in order to reduce loading times from like 45 seconds to around 10 (or you can not install the game and deal with longer load times) will fill up the 20 gig real fast. Ridge racer apparently takes ~4 GB

8. DevilzFan

Yeah, I read about installing games on the PS3 hard drive as well. That's the exact moment I realized I'd probably never get one.

9. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's still early in the use of that feature to consider it a crippling feature for the ps3. With time and better programming, it will probably get better. But it reafirms my belief that buying the 20 gig machine is a bad idea. Especially since it is apparently unable to be upgraded with a bigger hard drive

10. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The nice thing about the PS3 is that you can replace the hard-disk with a standard, off the shelf, PC one.

Isn't that some crazy fucking shit right there?

Dear Microsoft,

Please take note because your HDD system sucks ass.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Good to know; I foresee a lot of PS3s ending up with BIG HDs in the relatively near future.
    What did they do?

13. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The 360 HDD is only 20GB and cannot be replaced with a larger one which can be bought of the shelf at any computer shop.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yes, its a custom job, and you know what? It fucking sucks. It's poor value for money and very small.

And people say Blu-Ray is evil? GTFO.

15. DevilzFan

that right there is the way to go. That just boosted my opinion of the PS3 quite a bit actually.

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Potentially the PS3 is more powerful and better to customize.
    At the heart of the PS3, there's a proprietary cell chip that's made up of 8 independent processor cores which gives it the boost over 360.
    But the games will be harder to develop for the PS3 and could turn out much worse looking than the 360 titles if they hav'nt mastered developing for it.
    Evgen a straight port from 360 to PS3 can be a pain to make.

I give it atleast a year from now before PS3 games start looking better or as good than the 360 games. For now , no PS3 games looks as good as Gears of War and all the titles for it now look almost PS2'ish.
    There's nothing out for it yet that's on par with that Killzone video that got everyone hyped up.

Right now I think it would be better to get the 360 and wait for REAL PS3 library to spawn if you want to be impressed by graphics.

The PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1 & PS2 but you'll need a $15 adapter for the old memory cards. Which is'nt bad at all. The PS3 has a few memory stick readers that I wish the 360 has.

Right now PS3 owners have the bragging rights to the more powerful machine, but 360 owners have the bragging rights to better games

17. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I think the inclusion of Wifi and the card reader are reasons enough to pay the extra cash and get the 60gb model. If I wanted to pick up the wifi for my 360 I would have to spend $130CDN for it.

I agree that right now the PS3 is essentially a fancy looking brick for the most part. It will be worthwhile having once Oblivion and Lair come out and thats when I'll be picking mine up assuming the supply meets the demand by then :p