PS1 graphics appear downgraded on PS3?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gears, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So yesterday I was rounding up all of my old PS1 games and I got the urge to play some of them again on my PS3. I was playing Tekken 3 and I noticed that for some reason the graphics appear downgraded from how they used to look on my old standard TV. I'm playing on an HDTV and PS3 looks fabulous, but the PS1 graphics looked worse than they used to on my standard TV. It was most noticeable on the FMV ending movies that looked really blurry. Any suggestions?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    go into the system settings and turn smoothing ON.

without smoothing, yes, PS1 graphics are absolutely terrible on the PS3.

always have it on.

as for movies, those are always gonna look bad. we were just more forgiving of the quality back then.

3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    part of it [well at least for me and my big 42" display] is that there isnt really enough pixels in those old games to make it look decent on a big screen.

lower res TVs + lower res games = a pretty good picture for what it is

i've kinda found out the same thing. and even then the smoothing doesnt appear to help too much IMO so...

but yeah. i think its a combination of well back then it was awesome because that was high tech for the time and we were all wowed. nowadays with everything hi def and gaming technology so much more advanced than even the PS1 days its pretty easy to look back and be not as impressed when we have such beautiful games now.

ive found myself going "wow, and i thought this was amazing back when it came out? pfff"

lol.

yeah.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I think those videos were scaled 320X240 movies, which didn't look bad back then, but now stand out quite a bit. There are some exceptions, the Final Fantasy games still have some well-compressed movies in their games

5. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Reminds me of my Sega Nomad. I would play it handheld and the Genesis games on that little screen looked as good as a 2-D PS1 or Saturn Game, plug it into a TV though and it was back to reality.

What was really funny was when I modded the Master System converter and the 32X to work on the Nomad. All that shit sticking out the top was funny as hell!

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No matter what you do, PS1 games will never, ever look good on an HDTV, even a smaller one. 2D games usually fair a bit better if it supports progressive scan. But PS1 3D games are just going to look awful.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing I noticed is that they did away with the PS2's PS1 smoothing filter (the one that smoothened the pixilated textures on games. That one helped a little, especially on games like Chrono Cross.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

They should've gave those pixels & old edgy polygons the HD treatment like they're doing with the 16 bit games