Digibash: Prowl from Movie Barricade digibash...

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by SMOG, May 28, 2007.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I don't have Barricade yet. I just can't get into him, as much as I LOVE the car mode.

However, I've been looking at pics of the toy, and I'm thinking he might provide the foundation for a workable Prowl. It would take some work, but it seems like it could be done!

[​IMG]

I'm not trying to subvert the movie design for Barricade here, and say "This is how he should have been done!". I'm just thinking that he's got the parts I need to make a fairly classical Prowl!

Obviously the Alt Prowl head is a placeholder until I can figure out what other TF head could be converted into a Prowl head of the right size. I also might need to paint some parts lighter to balance all that black. Maybe some white on the hood?

Feedback is welcome... if there are any obvious reasons I'm missing as to why I wouldn't be able to pull this off, it'll be nice to know before I actually buy the figure. ;) 

zmog

2. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

woah...

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just did the vehicle mode last night. ;) 

May the best basher...well...have a better bash!

4. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmmm give the car a white hit?

5. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

If you're going to find a way to make a movie toy look decent, that's the way to do it. That looks like a really good idea.

6. SMOG

Yeah... I'm thinking it'll need some more white (though in a less frontal position, the white doors on the arms would be visible). I'm thinking the car hood could use some white, and maybe some metallic grey on his upper legs. Or I could use G1 Smokescreen's old white missle launchers for his shoulders?

I guess I can always digibash it first to see how it looks.

Are you doin' one of these too, Onesock? Heh... well, I probably won't be able to find a Barricade now until after June 2nd anyway. Maybe I should wait a little bit so I can steal your ideas! ;) 

zmog

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Looks good, but ditch the head. Just doen't look right at all. I'd say use one of the existing Autobots' head and alter it a bit. As for the hands, I'd use Wreckage style hands that are open and not the traditional closed fist.

8. SMOG

I think I'll use closed fists just because it's more traditional, and also because I want him to be able to hold a gun. Maybe I could have one open hand and one closed? I could pose him like the G1 box art that way. :) 

Obviously I'm not going to use this head, because it doesn't actually exist. :)  It's just a shrunk-down photoshopped Alt Prowl head... but I'm not sure what other head would represent the character well.

Actually, I have some questions for you guys...

For those of you who have Barricade... does it look like it would be possible to keep his car hood "closed" in robot mode, instead of split apart? Obviously, there'd have to be a hatch or hole in the hood so it could be closed again once the head is flipped up.

From pictures I've seen, it seems like Barricade's legs are always flexed (a la HeMan). Is it possible to straighten them out without bashing? Or would it require cutting a longer groove in the knee joint to do so?

Anyone have a suggestion for a good G1-style Prowl head in a size that would fit this figure? I think the one in my picture is sized a little too small, the more I look at it. Energon Rodimus maybe?

zmog

9. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    For the hood, quite possible. It only has to split to allow the head to swing up. If you have a new head mechanism, there's no need for the hood to be open.

The bigger issue is the arm posts, which when the hood is closed will keep his shoulders at the same length apart, so he'll have the same broad shoulders of barricade, but no chest to match.

The legs would require you to hack a lot into the joints to give them more flex and have them less hunched... but then you're losing half of the design aesthetic.

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I vote you switch the black and white on the vehicle mode. A white car would already make it look more Prowlish. And heck; for laughs, repaint Frenzy orange and gray into Wheelie.
    DN

11. SMOG

Ah. Now that's a bit of a problem. I had assumed that the arm posts were attached to the car hood section. Hmmmmmm....

Have you seen my digibash? I think that movie design aesthetic is going to be lost regardless. :) 

But thanks for the heads up!

It would look more like Prowl... but dangit, this is one of those kitbash ideas of mine that I might actually follow through, precisely because its all cutting, drilling and gluing. As soon as there's extensive painting involved, I never get around to it. :) 

If Hasbro follows through on their G1 repaints of movie TFs (like Ratchet, Thundercracker and Starscream), chances are there will be a "movie Prowl" repaint that does exactly that to the colour deco. No doubt it will appear in stores 2 days after this custom is finished. That would be just my luck. ;) 

zmog

12. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Good idea, but it does need repainting. You might not want to, but it would really be worth the effort.

Here's something I threw together real quick:

[​IMG]

Edit: It's too bad the legs are so movie-ish, or that head design wouldn't look so out of place. Not impossible to fix, though, depending on how much work you would want to do. You'd have to allow for the lower legs to be able to be straight with the upper ones, which looks like it would only require removing a bit of plastic. Then kill all the complex angles on the crotch and upper legs and make 'em more boxy

13. SMOG

I think I'll focus on just getting the basic elements to work first, but I was considering what I could do to make the legs look more traditional.

As for the paint, I'll probably add a bit of white, but I won't replicate the G1 scheme totally. I think it'll work best if he still resembles an American police car... can't imagine cops in Japan using Mustangs. :) 

zmog