Protoform questions *possible spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by gdpwatson, Jul 7, 2007.

1. gdpwatson

gdpwatson Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Long, long, long time lurker (have been coming to these boards daily now for well over 2 years - fav section is the fanart section) here. I'll be honest i'm a little apprehensive about kicking off a thread with only a smudgen of posts under my belt. Please be gentle

A few thoughts have popped into my mind about the latest 'universe' of Transformers and i am extremely interested in hearing what the fans might have to say about them.

These questions are more related to an 'expanded' universe interpretation of the movie rather than specific to the movie itself. But if you need to post spoilers then just do the usual inviso-text... i haven't seen the flick! Stupid UK opening dates!

So i'm curious as to how people think the protoform modes work. What got me thinking was that in the prequel comics the Autobots are all in their protoform modes (or what i believe to be protoform modes - and not having seen much of the Beast Wars mythos - more a G1 Marvel anaorak - i'm not sure how well these protoforms tie in with the concept from other TF works). Yet Megatron quite clearly is in his cybertronian jet mode. To my eyes it seems that while Megs has his jet mode the rest of the cast are stuck in robot modes that can only transform into giant flying comets!

I could be wrong in what i say here as the only protoforms we have seen outside of the prequels are the Starscream and Prime toys. However the comics quite clearly show Prime in his protoform mode and Starscream in his. Surely Starscream's alt mode would have been a jet of some description while on Cybertron.

What do you guys think? Has there been any attempt within or outside of the movie to suggest that the protoforms are some kind of intermediate transportation mode that allows Transformers to travel long distances (i do know that certain spaceships feature in the prequel novel - but not sure how much that might play into the canon of the movie). Are all Cybertronian modes based around the same concept of the protoform toys? Does Prime not turn into some sort of cybertronian truck?

I've many more curious questions along the same lines that i'd love to get stuck into talking about with you guys but i'd like to see how this one goes.

I might point out that i'm interested in ideas and hypothesis people might have about this. I love when interesting conversations break out on the boards without slander and bitching!

Remember guys, be gentle... i m only human :) 

By the way sorry if this has been posted before but i don't recall reading any posts on the topic and the search button seems to have gone walkies.

2. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    i think the idea of protoforms is that they travel long distance that way and take a new disguising form once they reach a new planet, the same concept as used in beast wars

3. beebot

beebot Member

if i had BALLbearingS that big i'd want to disguise them too

4. Mirageified

Mirageified Active Member

If I understand it correctly, in this case they can change at will. Essentially they are always in a protoform of some sort as was the case with Bumblebee who changed at will. Both the Autobots and Decepticons did come to our Galaxy in ships. They left those ships somewhere obviously (though it was never mentioned in the book or movie) but we know they have them and do leave them to fly around in space because of the Prequel books. I think they take on the comet form simply to allow them to enter the atmosphere safely and to try and convince the population that they are not robots, but rather space debris. Remember Autobots can not fly in Robot mode, and they seemed to give the impression that neither could the Decepticons in this movie/universe. So to survive the fall to earth they need some sort of form that can survive. Thus, meteor/comet.

5. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

In regards to Megatron, his alt mode could be capable of space flight, so he wouldn't need a "comet" form to traverse large distances. The Autobots in particular can't normally fly, so they would always need some sort of "intermediate" form to travel through space.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Didn't they say that they could choose any altmode of similar design and mass while also being able to use a atmospheric entry form for planet falls? I know in the comics, BB still looks like a land vehicle of some sort and the Proto prime toy has 'fake wheels' and the overall shape of a truck.

My guess is they have a natural alt mode type, but they can change the specifics of it's looks and design.

7. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    to be honest, i think it's just a flaw that they decided they didnt need to iron out because so few of us would notice it.

8. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    What I always wondered is, the only reason they need to pick a form of similar size is to blend in, right?

Why COULDN'T Prime just turn into a really big Solstice looking thing, considering how easy their bodies can reshape?

9. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

He could, but that would defeat the purpose of blending in and hiding, wouldn't it?

10. gdpwatson

gdpwatson Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right. But i was really wondering how the fans were putting it all together in their own heads.

I actually wondered why Proto Prime had wheels and windscreens (although to be really strict why would he need windscreens... who would be driving him??).

Is anybody else bothered by the ease at which they are able to re-format their bodies? Certainly it makes sense but this only works within the context of them being a race that is in the habit of visiting other worlds and as such have developed this ability to easily change their alt modes.

I liked it better when they basically where more or less stuck with the image that they were dealt with. Although i am slowing coming round to this idea of instant re-formating. Certainly makes disguise easier! For example as soon as an Autobot is spotted by a Decepticon all he has to do is lose him long enough to reformat his body and alt-mode! Losing a Decepticon might be easier said than done but the fact still remains that it could happen!