Protip: Between now and December 26, don't even think about toyhunting on weekends.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by twee, Dec 7, 2008.

1. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just came back from two Targets and a Wal-Mart, and Jesus Christ, with the way the parents were literally throwing themselves on toys, you'd never know we were in a financial crisis.

It was so bad that one of the Targets were actually restocking more stuff in the middle of the day. The Power Rangers, Bakugan (wtf is the deal with these, anyway?), and TF begs were very nearly completely bare. Most impressive was the TF section, as the only figs that remained on the pegs were an Animated Oil Slick, two Universe Galvatrons, an Activators Ratchet, and a couple Bumper Battlers. They had plenty Voyagers, since it looks like they'd just restocked those.

I know I shouldn't be complaining about this because toys are for kids, blah blah blah, but holy crap, I have to say something when I'm sorting through the Voyagers and I'm very nearly tackled by some soccer mom trying to budge her way into the TF section (and into my personal bubble) so she can get a look at the Voyagers I'm sorting through.

Looks like I'll be sticking to TF-hunting before and after work on weekdays. But that'll probably be reduced to just before work and on ungodly hours of the night (thank you 24 hr Wal Marts) as Xmas gets closer and closer and parents get more and more desperate and rabid.

I just adore the holiday spirit. Anyone else have any recent toyhunting horror stories?

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Stores here are still wiped from Black Friday too, I hope to get out before New Years and maybe find some left overs of the plastic crack I'm still looking for.
    DN

3. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    To my understanding, Bakugan is the new Yu-Gi-Oh.

I used to love Yu-Gi-Oh, so Ican relate with the Bakugan kids, but it still looks lame, lol.

Also, I gave up on hunting last month. I was at Toy's R' Us, Jesus Christ, I waited 15 minutes in line for a Classics Prowl.

4. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    So that makes it the newer Pokemon then.
    DN

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I stopped toy shopping after I got Acid Storm a week before Thanksgiving for two reasons:

1. I need the money for other people's presents,

and

2. I could get any toy for X-mas this year, so why pay for something you just might get for free?

As for Bagugan or whatever, kid-appeal shows have gone to a new low IMO. Pokemon was okay, and Yu-Gi-Oh! at least had some neat artwork on some of the cards that made it worth while, but marbles that are less than actual marbles? What a waste of plastic, heck, the Duocons are better than that entire line, and the Duocons have almost no articulation, they just look better!

6. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah it bad when I had a Swoop in my hand and a mom asked to see it, like literally hand it to her. I hesitated and then turn her down.

I don't know what would have happened afterwards but I believe it would have ended up with me Liu Kang kicking her in the back while she tried to flee.

So yeah I'm done store shopping for the year.

7. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

This is around the time of year that I start shopping more on-line or getting more of my mid-level collectibles. Stores usually get really vacant a couple weeks before Christmas and then after the New Year between Jan. and Mar. there's nothing. Very few and far between shipments as stores design toy resets and slow down on ordering. That's when I work on collecting more on-line stuff, like Takara figures.

8. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    Protip: don't shop on december 26th either.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I always found Christmas to be the best time for hunting because everything is restocked so much and so often. Its great for the Joe Waves that seem to come out once a week now.

10. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    just shop online...tons of retailers are offering free shipping if you order a certain $ amount...order what you want and order others christmas gifts all at once...then wait for it to be delivered...got my nephew's Xmas done with that awesome amazon sell that just went down....

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Was pretty much completely opposite at Target tonight. Shelves were packed full of new product that hadn't been released in my area (like wave 3 of Universe and the Target exclusives). They even had to put the Universe Voyagers in with the Star Wars stuff (though that seemed more on accident). Though I don't think I'll do much, if any, toy hunting till about a half a week to a week after Christmas. That way when I do go out I'll have a better chance of getting what I want, and will have plenty of extra cash on me to do so.

12. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went to a local craft store for some paint today and the store was mobbed, the line had to be at least 20 people deep. Good thing The line moved super quick.

I really do want to go pick a few figures up next weekend though.

13. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I figured Dec 26th would be included in that gap too. :thumbs2: 

14. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Shopped tonight, found the "new" Onslaught with the fixed electronics. The only insanity I had to deal with was some guy who said "f***" every other word and made some boastful claims. You know, he ACTUALLY owns "the 20th Anniversary Prime that's ALL METAL" and "it's worth $800!!!" It's "not the crappy plastic ones most people have." Yeh, it was an interesting conversation :rolleyes: 

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I absolutely LOVE those guys! Have run into a few, but my favorite was back three or four years ago... I was browsing through the TF pegs at a local WM when I was approached by a guy. Kudos to him for having the guts to just walk up and begin creating dialogue with a total stranger, but the conversation ended up being half of the known TF urban legends come to life.

Keep in mind I own nearly every TF ever made and can recite half of what's in the wiki from memory, but I typically keep this to myself; and being dressed in a suit and tie, I didn't probably appear to him to fit the mold of a knowledgeable TF fan.

dude: You like Transformers, huh?

ams: (smiles) Definitely. Never seemed to be able to grow out of them.

dude: I know, like, EVERYTHING about Transformers. I've even got a G1 Bluestreak sealed in a perfect box that's all blue like they were supposed to be. They only made a few like that but the paint was too expensive and they started making them silver.

ams: (bites lip) Wow, that's really something.

dude: I'll bet you didn't know there were all kinds of Transformers released in Japan that we never got in the US back in the 80's.

ams: Is that right?

dude: Yeah, they were all made of metal instead of the crappy plastic ones we got in the US.

ams: (eye twitching) Huh!

dude: Yeah, even Soundwave had all kinds of extra cassettes... they all had crazy-ass Japanese names we can't even pronounce.

ams: Was that Gurafi, Noizu, Dairu, and Zauru?

dude: (long pause) Maybe, I'm not sure.

ams: Well, it was nice to meet you. Take care!

I suppose I could have let it go entirely, but I thought I'd leave him with some basic info rather than just bust him out on all his claims. :lol 

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  16. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

^Hah! Perhaps we met the same guy? Nahhh.

My guy, with the $800 all-metal MP Optimus, knew a TON about Transformers too. I mentioned having purchased roughly 400 of these critters since the 2007 Movie line launched, to which he replied "Are there even that many of 'em?" Oh, but it came out something like: "F***, are there F***in' even that F***in many of those F***ers?"

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I try not to even go out for dinner this time of year let alone go shopping.

18. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The horror story that started this thread is why I shop online. I've only even entered toy stores at malls or toy aisles at Target/Walmart when I'm out for other reasons and curious enough to take a peak. The toys on the floor or rampaging parents and pain in the ass kids and too-close-together aisles cause me to loose patience quickly.

19. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I hate the stores during the day. This is why I like Wal-Mart being open 24/7.

I've actually had people grab things out of my hands, out of my cart, etc.

Screaming bloody murder, chasing after a guy (cart in tow!) made me look insane, but the manager sided with me and I got my goodies.

I don't like people. A person, yes. People, no.

20. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

Pokemon will never die! :rock