2D Artwork: Protest piece - Elita One

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by illmatar, Oct 21, 2007.

1. illmatar

illmatar illmatar

Hi,

This is an unfinished picture I'll probably never have time to get back to, but I'm throwing it at you anyway 'cause I'm mean to you. It's still very rough around the edges and the flames are not making me happy yet, but this is my version of Elita One.

I got sick of the pink Statue of Liberty look.

I can just see the guys that designed her... "What can we hook Op up with that sums up what he's into? The Statue of Liberty of course! And just so people get she's a girl we'll toss lots of pink on her! Yeah! That'll do!"

I don't even mind the look so much...Ok...that's a lie...I do. What I really dislike is how she's portrayed in so many fanfics. I just do not see any commander who can survive being pretty much without allies on a world control by hostiles for MILLIONS of years being a sweet little fluff chick.

Smack me if you like.

I also think it's insulting to Optimus to have her portrayed as an empty headed giggling girl. Exactly how long would it take a guy of Op's intellect to get sick of that? Say what you like about Optimus but the dude is not shallow, and I doubt he'd fall for anyone who was.

Attached Files:

2. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Works for me.

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Ariel, the pre-Elita1 version, was a giggling, silly little girl.

Elita-1 as we knew her in the cartoon was the leader of the fembots, gave Shockwave and the Decepticons a run for their money, went toe to toe against the Decepticons to save Optimus Prime and nearly sacrificed her life to save Optimus Prime from Starscream.

That and she appeared to be a tough leader to her forces.

So where you got this giggling fluffy girl image from is beyond me. Being pink doesn't necessarily mean one is "hehehe! yay hello kitty!" and all.

4. illmatar

illmatar illmatar

Actually, I loved the Elita portrayed in the cartoon....but I've encountered a lot of versions of her since that are just plain silly. Even as Ariel she had courage. She actually went after Megatron before Optimus did.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  5. nightboomfer

nightboomfer SeƱor Member

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I like it, just the general look of the piece, your use of the light from the fire and everything, looks pretty good.

7. illmatar

illmatar illmatar

Thanks. :) 

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Awesome work, as usual!

And I agree, Elita-1 was just as much of a bold leader as Prime. Ariel was just a cheerleader.

Though I don't like that smirk on her face. A little chiche and kinda defeats the whole purpose of making an uber-serious leader chick.

9. illmatar

illmatar illmatar

Thanks. I finally took the advice I've been getting and the plunge and started posting on Deviant art too. The old issues of Maelstrom are going digital at last. Very scary actually.

As for the smirk...I've given her a somewhat wicked sense of humor in my story line, but you are right...it did come across a bit chiche.

10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I should have added I do like the art. So ... I like it!

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your art rocks.

12. illmatar

illmatar illmatar

LOL! Thanks!

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Nice art.

14. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    I like it, looks more like a Decepticon.

15. illmatar

illmatar illmatar

Heh. Thanks.

16. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

illmatar

Hello illmatar:

I'm really digging your rendition of Elita-1. I, too, thought that the cartoon representation (I'm speaking G-1; not sure if she showed up in the other cartoons) of Elita-1 and some of the other Female Transformers was somewhat stereotypical - and I'm a guy. I feel you on your sentiments, as well - they did have Elita-1 looking like, as you stated, a pink Statue of Liberty, especially with that huge headpiece/helmet.

I love to draw, especially drawing original Transformer robot ideas, and I've got an idea to do a Female Autobot combiner. I'll call them the Barrelbots (as in gun barrel). There's five of them and they merge to form the Autobot Combiner MAGNA DONNA (I believe that's Latin for, "Great Woman"). The Barrelbots are:

1)Galewind - Transforms into a futuristic helicopter
    2)Crosshairs - Transforms into a Cybertronian jetcar with twin cannons
    3)Smoothtreads - Transforms into a tank
    4)Sonicride - Transforms into a high-performance sports car
    5)Femmus Alpha - Leader of the Barrelbots; Transforms into a truck-like Cybertronian transport vehicle (somewhat reminiscent of Firestorm or Moonracer).

I call them Barrel bots because all 5 of them are very skilled when it comes to aiming and firing cybertronian firearms. They're also very well respected by fellow Autobots and really give the Decepticons or any foolish Transformer, a run for their money!!!!

When I get the drawings done (it's going to take me a long time, as Fatherhood and general work and other things have taken top priority), I'll try to post them on here. I'd love to get your opinion as I'd like to depict positive, strong, Female characters.

Also, IMHO, I don't think the smirk is cliche - I see it as this: that's she very smart and can flip the script/turn the tables, if she needs to, to get her respect, because even in the world of Cyberton, there are those forces who seek to subjugate her and others like her, due to some preconceived gender bias.

Looking forward to hearing back. Have a great day! Also, GREAT artwork! Looking forward to seeing more.

Sincerely,

Sablebot

17. illmatar

illmatar illmatar

Thanks...more is coming.
    Consider yourself warned.

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i dislike...the colour. shes giving me a decepticon vibe.

19. illmatar

illmatar illmatar

Yeah...I did take her a turn for the darker, but my stuff tends to run that way. Again, probably a personal thing. Most of my art and my preferences are dark...but then I work with kids and I get enough pastels at work!