Protest at Spelling Bee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fiy, Jun 4, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you are assuming kids these days can use such primitive, thought-demanding technology, lol.

kinda like giving Flash Gordon a musket and just waiting for him to blow his own head off looking down the barrel...

2. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

Dear God!
    If this happens, America will go down the toilet. What the heck is wrong with these people? Froot? Slo?
    Ugh

3. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

I've always supported this. It's nice that out language was made with different other languages, but "enough is enuf". When I was growing up. I loved to read. And I love math. But growing up and the words not only gotten complicated, which is ok, but word just stop making sense.

The biggest lie is that you can derive, and spell words, by observing it prefix, root word, and suffix. Look at the words. Artist and Racist, Pilot and Sailor, inflammable and indestructible, the list goes on.
    the prefix "in-" means not, yet flammable == inflammable. (I know it its history.) Computer and Calculator, what rule should be applied when using "-er" or "-or"

Language has turned into a thing of memory. Unlike math, you can derive any equation, or number, or formula as long as one has basic understanding of what was used to created it. For example, I don't need to memorize how to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit. I just need to remember the constant 32 and the freezing and boiling points of water for each unit. In the English language, it vowels sound like other vowels, silent letters, and my favorite is this:

Math is logic, language is primarily relies on memory. I remember reading article on how reading takes up a significant amount of memory. The "Math Language" is have simpler rules than English but it is way more complex. Like you can do square root calculations using the 4 basic arithmetic functions.

Also for those who complain on how things are "not a word." Was "google" a word 20 years ago, how about xerox 80 years ago.

Not true. Read National Spelling Bee protests: Should we simplify English spelling? - Yahoo! News.
    I heard one president, FDR if memory serves me right, had pushed for a phonetic language by writing phonetically in his memos.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

No kidding, i'd hate for another David Hasselhoff to be unleashed on the world.