Customs: Protectobot mold choices

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SmokescreenSWE, Jul 4, 2009.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, so I'm pretty much leaning towards making a set of Protectobots to go with my Leader Class Hot Spot (RiD OP) once I get settled in the new apartment. To stick with rough robot mode scale consistency, I'm thinking about going with Voyager scale figures. Animated and Movie style are out of the question.

I'm not going to make them combine. Like my Predacon Alts and my BW/Classics Terrorcons, I basically just want them as a group. In fact, they do not really have to transform although that's obviously a plus.

Here are my vague plans so far:

Blades = Universe Blades. Even though he's not 100% accurate in terms of form, he's too close to miss. I will repaint him and possibly change the head.

Streetwise = Alt Prowl. A bit big maybe but I'd rather have that than a Deluxe. I want to keep the main characteristics so he needs a vertical hood as chest. I don't recall seeing any Voyager size cars anyway outside of the Alternators, so...

First Aid = I have some really cool plans for transforming him into an accurate G1 style van, I just need to check some sizes...

Groove = a big question mark. There are no appropriate Voyager bikes and short of going with a stupidly expensive Autovajin, nothing that really looks good. Every combiner I've seen uses heavily modified Axers or Sideways to even begin looking good. This is the one I really need help with... The fact that neither the animation model nor the original toy gives any solid design for him isn't helping either. I'm seeing loads of bike bots but all the police style bikes look horrible. To get a reasonable bot mode the best shot I have right now is Cybertron Ransack but that kills off the bike mode.

2. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    Actually, now that I think about it, Marvel Spider-Man might be a decent choice. I'd have to do some serious remolding to file off all the webbing and add some police style parts, but it might work, size-wise. The Marvel figures are fairly large deluxes, right?

BTW, this also means that I'm looking for these molds if anyone has any spares. Otherwise I guess I'll need to make a fairly big BBTS order soon...

3. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    I like your ideas so far, but heres what I have in mind for a Voyager class Protectobots group.

Hotspot = RID OPT Prime

Streetwise = Autorooper w/head swap

Blades = Universe Blades w/posible head swap

First Aid = White Hound KO w/ head swap and add hard top roof

Groove = Animated Prowl w/head swap and new hands.

The main reason I changed out the First Aid and Streetwise mold from what you have is, that I wanted to give them a different look than being obvious Prowl and Skids repaints. Also I think witha few mods to Animated Prowl would give you a preety good looking Groove.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Personally, I really don't want to see this type of custom have an Alt in the lineup unless it's an Alt combiner 100%. I think there has been enough Defensors made (and made well) to totally avoid it. Anyways, that's just my :2c: 

I'd say that Road Pig would be a good Groove, and I'm surprised no one's used him yet

5. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But someone already used him! cant remember who though...

Either way, the main problem with Road Pig, is the size, very small. ThereĀ“s an oversized KO outhere, however its TOO BIG (like BW Ultra Big :(  )

6. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    It wouldn't combine anyway, so the scale isn't that much of an issue. I just don't want Groove to be tiny. Alternators are just about the only modern Voyager sized cars that I know of.