Customs: protective coating

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by seali_me, Jan 5, 2008.

1. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

list the ones you've tested. recommended and non. old and new products used. mostly spray cans

so far, the krylon clear protective coat worked for me but decided to try something i've known from my days back (way back) in the paint dept at rona.

krylon clear
    two coats maximum *edit* but has dulled the sheen and colour of the paint. i would not recommend this unless you're painting semi-gloss.

testors
    crackled on some parts but test maybe flawed. canadian winter and heat in the house may have contributed to this.

corrostop from sico.
    this thing is toxic. smells a way worse than your normal krylon finish. but if you've used testors previously, its almost the same. this baby has a very wide radius but has a extremely fine spray. finer than those fusion nozzles. i have tested two coats, scratched it with my keys on a test part. nothing. i had to grind for about a 5 minutes before i could even make a mark. the shen is fine. i used it on my silver vette. comes in a large can for only about 7.39 cdn. which is probably around a 10 dollars US. lol the can says wood and metal only but work very well on my alt.

pics will be posted as well (when i find that prime part) and appreciated for those who do post.

2. Satan Santa

Satan Santa Knows you've been naughty

krylon MATTE clear // only for flat enamels. This works insanely well for military colors, but will destroy gloss coats, which makes no sense, but it's true.

Sally Hansen nail polish protective coat // don't use it. Melts plastic. Might be a good contact cement.

Verithane // sort of becomes part of the paint. Has no protective effect, but did not harm the enamels either. Waste of time to use. Only tried once, though.

3. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

jolly old nick sitko?

4. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    Yeah, Krylon Crystal Clear matte is the most awesome sealer I've used, but only for flat colors. You need 2 coats of semigloss or gloss if you're using it on glossy paints. Then the finish really comes out nice. Just remember there's 3 types of krylon crystal clear, choose accordingly.

5. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've tried Rust-oleum's Specialty Lacquer, and it has fantastic durability. It doesn't level out perfectly (very fine orange peeling), but it buffs wonderfully with high-grit sandpaper, and has a wonderful luster (looks beautiful when applied over metallics, even without buffing). I used it Here, if ppl want to see how it looks. Since it's a lacquer, it bonds to all paint types (even some industrial paints which I used for fine detailing), as long as the paint has been allowed to properly cure. I use 3-4 mist coats.

Stay away from ICI's Fast Dry Lacquer spray, it orange-peels something fierce.

6. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Future floor polish doesnt work. Tamiya clear gloss is alright but its still acrylic and they are so weak and will chip easily, but the best results i have ever had was from automotive lacquer.

7. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

i use tamya products.... highly recommend it

8. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    I use Future, good stuff if you do it right. Theres a tutorial on swannysmodels.com. I coated it over silver lacquer, no problems at all.