Proportions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by megatroptimus, Dec 5, 2006.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I always hear about that silly argument that said robot's proportions are off. WTF. It's a R-O-B-O-T!!!!!!!!!!!!! A robot doesn't have to follow human proportions!!!!! It can be ANYTHING. Thanks for reading.

2. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Um....are we talking Alt. modes here? If we are, then I think proportion is important. For example, how are you gonne be disguised if your Alt. mode Semi cab is the same size as a regular car? I think humans would be suspicious. Therefore, proportions are necesary (at least in the cartoon/comic/movie world, I can understand when toys aren't due to pricing issues).

Now, straight robots...whoever said anything about proportions there? Accurate proportions be damned if you're just a giant rampaging bot with nothing to hide and no one to hide from!

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm sure he's talking about robot modes...there's some complaining that goes on because the robot modes have a huge cannon arm or they're insemetrical...I agree with megatroptimus...actually I like the TF's not having human proportions.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I like a bit of both. The more alien ones generally tend to grab my imagination, though.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    it may not be human proportioned but a dorky looking robots still a dorky looking robot.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Another item in terms of TF porportions are the toys themselves. One of the things that's always bugged me is the fact that Blaster can stand eye to eye with toys like Metroplex . . . .

. . . but on megatroptimus' topic, some of my favorite TFs are the CR/RiD Car Brothers. :) 

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Totally agree with everything SQ7 said

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hehe, well one of things that actually got me out of TFs when I was originally collecting them as a kid was the scale. I ended up sticking with G.I. Joes for just a little longer in my childhood because of the scale (obviously not the case now though).

Two of my last TFs as a kid were Scorponok and FM. I honestly can't remember Scorponok having a fighting chance at any one point . . .

However, I always thought it was cool that Jetfire was so massive, even if the Autobots couldn't actually fit inside of him.

I never had Galvitron (oddly enough as he was my favorite character from the movie) as a kid, though I had some of the other movie bots. I'd imagine that Rodimus would have found himself in more of a pickle than what he was already in if had actually owned the Galvitron toy then . . .

Fun times, fun times . . .

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One of the things I always enjoyed about Transformers is how they make you use your imagination so you never "see" Blaster standing eye-to-eye with Metroplex". Omega Supreme is the size of a small mountain and Fort Max has to go sub-orbital to find the room to transform. :)  I "see" all this and more when I look at my Transformers.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hehe, "I see Transformers in scale." :) 

As an older person, this is my perspective now, especially with all of the many differnt lines out now. That being said, I do want my Alts/BTs and my customs to all at least be within +/- the same scale pretty much. With G1-current line, I'm pretty much cool with whatever. :thumb 

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't mind deviation from humanoid proportions, as long as it's done with a bit of artistic sense. Some toys just end up poorly proportioned from almost any sensibility, such as G1 Astrotrain, who has a long torso, teeny head, and short arms that can't reach past ... anything really.

I'd assume people expect humanoid proportions because the robots are mostly humanoid (2 arms, 2 legs, head, bilateral symmetry and all that) and the further deviation there is from the standard model, the more unusual it looks to a brain geared toward understanding how humans are 'supposed to look'. Same reason cameras work for the best skin tones - humans may not know exactly what makes for a proper skin tone, but they can sure tell when it looks wrong.

12. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    If proportions look good, then I dont mind. Since they are robots they dont have to have exact human proportions, but there are times when out of proportion parts just dont look good. For instance, the arms and legs on Cyb. Crumplezone look good out of proportion. However, Energon Rodimus's huge legs compared to his arms hurt his looks. The long proportions on Cyb. Metroplex, they look good. The huge head on Armada Unicron when it should be small to give him the look of size, not looking good. Misproportions are fine if they're done right.

(Peronsal gloating, 1000 posts! Woo!)

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    It sounds to me like one of the aims of this thread has now changed (at least seemingly and to some extent) into what makes porportions of a "cool" robot. *looks at the preceeding posts*

There are a MULTITUDE of designs that Hasbro has graciously given us over the years (and of which a multitude has graciuously given to Hasbro a multitude of money to own) that are just really cool. As long as this keeps going on, it seems like we're set as TransFans :) 

14. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Honestly, I don't think proportion and comparitive size was ever reallya concideration when they were being made. Mass production and price seemed to be mostly what mattered back then, maybe even now.

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is actually a pet peeve of mine, when people vocally complain about a Transformers' proportions, because invariably, the complaint never springs up in regards to characters that are intended to be human-like in their appearance, but always in regards to the intentional oddballs like Crumplezone and Shortround.

"Shortround is stupid looking, I hate his proportions, they're all wrong...yadda yadda"

:rolleyes2  Yeah, so what proportions do you think are "correct" for a robot with crushing crab claws for manipulators, hmm?

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When you think about it, Transformers, and a lot of robot toys in general, don't have human proportions as much as "Gundam proportions" compared to the average human, the torso is shorter and the legs bigger and longer, to give a more dynamic look and an appearance of 'bigness'.

17. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

TF proportions don’t bother me so much, I mean they have to have arms that can reach past there own chest and things like that but otherwise it’s fine.

As for scale, I used to be all about scale but then after watching beast wars and working out how horribly out of scale most of the G1 characters would be I just started to think TF didn’t really get that there alt modes would need to be a set size, so they just picked ones that worked with there transformation but kept to the same size as there robot forms, which seemed to be how beast wars did it.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I agree that proportions are entirely subjective when it comes to robots... for the 2 figures you mention, I have no problem with their proportions, because they contribute to a very specific sense of style and character. It looks appropriate on them.

However, there are also plenty of figures that have unattractive proportions. Human proportions shouldn't be the model, but they ARE the foundation. Sometimes exaggerated proportions can either improve OR hurt a design. Often I find long legs, oversized shoulders and tiny heads often make for the best formula when dealing with Japanese robot design... usually. Meanwhile, I tend to dislike figures with oversized heads, stubby legs, or teeny-tiny feet.

So in conclusion, robots can have any proportions they want... but just because they don't have to adhere to human proportions, doesn't mean they will all look cool. The aesthetics of exaggerated proportions plays a big role... and looking cool, after all, is the #1 concern. :) 

19. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

wonky proportions can have profound visual effect. The massive broadening lower legs that Cyberstron Evac has are a great example. They give him a true sense of power.

Hell, look at G1 Metroplex. Even at 12 inches he still gives off a sens eof friggin' POWER. And screwy proportions? He has no MIDSECTION. None. His chest is attached to his crotch. And he looks fabulous because of it.

Tidalwave's huge arms work in the context of the character.

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    impressive

It has been a while, but i remember reading that in alt mode, Omega Supreme's rocket was the same size as a NASA Launch Vehicle- like the ones used to send the Apollo boys up.
    and from there i tried to find something that would make sense.
    His rocket stands as tall as or just a bit taller than The Statue of Liberty.

now barring him from shrinking or expading like Megatron, or Prime's missing trailer, his hand cannon and claw would be some pretty damn big mittens to "wrassle" with.

Look at sky lynx. We know how big the shuttle is.
    The only TF's i have trouble with are the City-bots. Metroplex, Trypticon, Scorponok and Fortress Maximus.
    i can only imagine a city even as small as Enterprise, AL (where i live) taking legs and walking off....
    Sheesh.