Proper use of Combiners in War for Cybertron

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by lordsice, Mar 12, 2010.

1. lordsice

lordsice Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Until they solve the problem of how to make combiners playable in multiplayer we the fans should not be robbed of fighting or playing them in single-player.

1) You could have a level were at the end you have to take out the stunticons or any combiner group and when you defeat them, for the second phase they form the big bot and that will be your end of level boss fight!

2) Just as you go though a level with your 3 bot team, you can take a combiner team and at the end of an level you face another combiner team, you both form you big bots and battle it out and thats your boss fight.

2. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    i would love single player bruticus:D 

3. lordsice

News Credits:
    I think this is reasonable and not to much to ask for.

4. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Single-Player? Campaign is co-op, too.

5. lordsice

News Credits:
    I know but if you want to play just by yourself, the ai controls the other bots in your team.

6. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's no way to make this system work were all will be happy. The only fair solution is to rotate control each time the team combines; however, I think it would be best to just let whoever controls the leader control the big one. Leadership has its perks, doesn't it? What's the point of being a leader in a game if you can't really control players with free-will?

Personally, I feel the only way combiners should appear in this game is as a boss only, though I wouldn't be against a combiner being treated like a regular character (e.g. no seperation whatsoever).

7. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

I think it'd be interesting if combiners only act on unified commands from the players.

i.e. everyone has to push shoot at roughly the same time for the combiner to actually shoot. So you'd have to communicate with your team and call out targets or dictate whether you're going to turn left or right.

Wouldn't this roughly simulate the experience of being Devastator? Isn't that why he was kind of dumb?

Now as a gamer, this sounds horrific and probably will never work. But as a Transformers fan it would be neat to experience at least once.

8. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know what? Screw combiner teams. We've had enough of that gimmick being beaten to death in the recent lines. A Transformers game that actually tells a story about the bots doesn't need any combining to take away from the individuals.

And yes, it is a lot to ask for.

9. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Or on second thought, how about if the leader issues commands which pop up on the limb characters screens as button push mini games? So say he wants to move forward to step on an enemy, the right foot character has to quickly push X,O,X,R1 to do it.

So there'd be an ever so slight delay with combat commands. This would even act as a balancing factor because I'm assuming one shot from a combiner would kill a smaller bot and the slight delay would give the smaller, faster yet weaker players a fighting chance.

10. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

Something along the lines of say the Constructicons popping up at various points in a level (or levels) and fighting you and then retreating only to pop up again and then vanishing would be something I'd enjoy. Obviously at the end of the level they'd appear and combine for the traditional boss-fight. I was playing Shinobi and in that the bosses make little cameos in the sub-levels before you fight them for real at the end of the chapter, so something like that would be good. This would kind of emphasise the uniqueness of the special teams instead of them just being cannon fodder drones, or just some TFs that appear once at the end of a level, combine and then get killed, IMO.

I'm definitely all for combiners in the campaigns proper, at least.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Didn't they say that there aren't any combiners in the game?

12. lordsice

News Credits:
    Right because they said they couldn't make it work in online multiplayer but we are saying there is no reason not to put them in the game though out the levels and then have a boss fight at the end of some levels.

13. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still they already chose what they wanted to work with. We have Supreme and Trypicon. I think that's enough fanwank for one installment. There is a balance, programming, and design hurtle to get over.

14. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

This. but folks the're is such a thing as add-ons expansions and sequels and from the previous interview it sounds like they plan on making use of those avenues.

I want an expansion that features combiners, at least as bosses. I think combiners should be limited to three if they are going to work in multi-player.

I also want a triple changer expansion. And a headmaster expansion that grants body snatching abilities.

15. Metal Maverick

Metal Maverick Well-Known Member

Here's a thought for a combiner based multiplayer mode for a sequal.

- 5 on 5 (Devestator would have to be reduced to a 5 bot team for balancing reasons)

- The goal of this mode is to score as many points as possible before time runs out. Each player killed gets you points and big points for killing the combined robot.

- Each player starts on different area's of the map spread out from each other. To combine with your team mates you need to get within range and hold down a specific button. Once all five are in range and holding the right button they will merge.

- Once merged, the player with the highest score will determine who moves the bot. The other four will control various other functions like weapons and what have ya.

- When a player dies they will respawn at a distance from their team mates. Death of a combined bot will of course split the team up again.