Proper G1 Season 2 theme music?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tuxedo Mark, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Tuxedo Mark

Tuxedo Mark Well-Known Member

I read a comment by someone on YouTube a while ago that the music that we commonly know as the Season 2 theme music was used for only a short while at the beginning of Season 2, and then it was replaced by what we commonly know as the Season 3 theme music. He claimed to have this on VHS tapes from 1985.

However, I read these comments in an old episode guide:

Season 2
    (1985-1986, 49 new episodes, with the 16 first season episodes randomly scattered through the run for a total of 65 episodes)
    New opening titles and closing credits were used for the second season, featuring some of the second year characters, and a new version of the opening music was used for them. The second season titles and credits replaced the first season ones when the first season episodes were run.

Episodes ran weekdays, beginning in September 1985

[Buzzsaw and Frenzy make occasional appearances in episodes 17-26, but no other new characters are introduced until episode 27, when second year characters begin to appear without explanation (and don't ask why #28 is first year characters only. My best guess is some sort of production delay)]

Season 3
    (1986-1987, 30 new episodes, with 65 previous eps for total of 95 eps)
    The new episodes for the third season take place after movie. Episodes were shown on weekdays starting in September 1986. New episodes were usually shown on Mondays and Tuesdays, with older episodes running the rest of the week.

Another new title sequence was used for the third season, updating to the third year characters. Another new version of the music was used. The first and second season episodes retained the second season opening titles and closing credits, but the new music was dubbed over them, and that is how they have continued to air, even on the SF channel. The Five Faces of Darkness miniseries that opened the season had its own opening titles, adapting some of the scenes. It used the standard season 3 music.

So who's right?

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, Season 2 had the same theme song the whole season. Towards the second half however, the toy commercials started using the season 3 theme instrumental instead of the season 2 one, so maybe that's what you were thinking of

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Everyone but some guy on YouTube.

4. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    The Season 3 music didn't debut until Season 3, this I know for sure because I severely dislike that S3 theme and always have, and love the S2 theme. But later on it was sometimes used for Season 2 episodes if I remember right, particularly during 'G2' Cosmic Cube times. Sto vo kor can probably enlighten us further.

I too have VHS tapes from '85, and there are no S2 episodes with S3 music on them.

--Moony

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember that after Season 3 aired (or was airing) when they would show S2 eps, it had S3's music. Still the same visuals. I don't think it was on all the eps. I remember not liking S3s theme song as much as S2s.

Of course this is 20+ year old memories so I might be remembering it wrong.