Customs: Proper Care for Transformers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Darth Fitch, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

What is the best places to store Transformers? Not just keeping them in boxes vs plastic containers, but also hot temperatures and lighted areas?
    We know that light will fade whites into yellows, so dark places is good like closets or garages...

But what about temperatures??? I'd like to store mine in my garage, but I get concerned about the heat in the summer. Am I being paranoid? Will 90- deg temps, or more hurt my bots over time? Melt the stickers... ruin boxes or cards... etc? Currently I bring EVERYTHING in during the summer and fill up my office with boxes and other containers.

Another way I care for my bots is to ALWAYS wash my hands before picking them up. That way the oils from my hands wont hurt the paint jobs and stickers.

If this thread goes well, perhaps it should be stickied as a reference for others.

2. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As a gereral reference climate control is best. Extreme changes in climate from cool to hot over time could cause the molding, or warping of the paperboard and make the plastic of the toys brittle. Humidity also plays a large part of this as well. Also if it gets too hot for too long it will loosen the glue on the backs of stickers causing them to slide out of place. These factors will also cause exposed metal (screws and pins) to possibly rust.

These examples are what I discovered after getting my G1 collection out of storage from my dad's house. Granted they were in storage for 10+ years so I have no idea when the damage would have first become apparant.

3. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

I too am paranoid about the whole sunlight hitting my TF's.Does it have to be DIRECT sunlight?

4. xenocryst

xenocryst Why yes, I *am* a geek. TFW2005 Supporter

I feel sorry for all the bots left in storage, whether it's in a garage or under the bed.

Here's a TF care question I'd like to add: What're the best ways for dusting TFs? Air spray cans don't seem to get all the dust off. Other things I've tried are paper towels/TP, wash clothes, and cheese cloth (which work great for dishtowels btw); but none of those things seem to reach everywhere. How do auto detailers get rid of hard to reach dust, and could it be applied to cleaning collectibles?

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I use Q-tip's w alcohol/windex , but watch the stickers.

I like the alchohol , especially after buying TF lots, good for cleaning the germs off. Ya never know what someone could've done with that shiny G1 Omega Supreme you bought from them.

6. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I beleive that it okay for florecent light to be around your transformers and dose not cause yellowing. Just diesct sunlight.

7. Vector Calculus

Vector Calculus LaSenza Boy

A soft-bristled toothbrush can work for dust, too.

VC

8. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I try (try that is) to keep my TF's out of sunlight. Prolonged exposure will fade any color, even the darkest of blacks. If you are displaying your TF's in a room, the best bet is to cover the windows completely.

Lights can also cause yellowing. Try not to use "Yellow" lights. White bulbs are the best, about 65 - 70 Watts. Never leave the light on for prolonged periods of time.

I try to keep the room they are in a consistent 70 degrees farenheit (sp?). I avoid large humidity or temperature changes to prevent card and box warping.

Stacking sealed figures will cause warping eventually. I learned the hard way. Especially with the newer boxed figures that have windows. If you are going to hang carded figures, then do so by securing the bottom of the card as well as the top. Do not use thumb tacks, they will leave circle dents on your card. If you are hanging the figures on a painted wal, place paper behind it before you hang it. This will prevent the card from sticking to the wall. This is especially common with latex painted walls.

For cleaning, it depends on how dirty the figures are. If it's just dust, then a soft, dry cloth will do the trick. If it's got more pronounced dirt/dust marks, then I would go with VC's sentiment of a soft bristle tooth brush. Try not to use any liquids unless absolutely needed. Even thne use only damp cloth.

When storing loose figures, I use large baggies for each figure. Then I seperate them with a bit of bubble wrap. Not too much, as you want them to have a little room to settle and move around. Pack them too tightly and you're likely to snap a smokestack or bend a weapon.

For boxed figures, I pack them snuggly but not too tightly. I then pad them with a small bit of paper or bubble wrap. Again, not too tightly to avoid bends and warps.

9. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

My favorite guys are in a glass display case out of direct sunlight, the guys I don't have room for are packed in boxes, seperated by bubble wrap, and kept in my closet. Those "in the middle" guys, the ones not in the case, but not stored away are on various shelves, also out of direct sunlight. When it's time to clean them I like a soft dust cloth, sometimes I've used a soft bristle key board vac (can get the smaller areas of the bigger guys like Fort Max, without taking all day) and for really tough to get little spots I'll some times use a Q-tip that is slightly damp (with water) then I make sure to wipe out any excess mositure with a dry Q-tip.

10. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

Sweet info Joe!
    Dust is the biggest reason I don't display more than 10 or so at a time. Damn dust! Currently I'm displaying 20th Op, and all my Alts/Bts under their plastic covers to block the dust.

My wife had a great suggestion, to never store them in cardboard boxes but rather plastic storage containers. Cardboard isn't going to block any potential water damage.

11. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Fluorescent light DOES emit UV rays (albeit in small amounts), so you want to avoid it completely as prolonged exposure will discolor and/or yellow your figures.

As many others have mentioned, avoid any and all extremes (natural/artificial light, heat, cold, humidity or lack thereof, and dust) to whatever degree possible.

LIGHT - Will yellow/discolor plastic. All natural sunlighting should be out of the question regardless of any UV protection on any plastic casing you may have. If artificial lighting is to be used, be sure to use yellow (incandescent) light and maintain it at a minimum of 6 to 7 feet away and turn them on only when necessary.

UV filtering sleeves can be purchased for flourescent bulbs, but as with all products of this nature, use them at your own risk. Check it out HERE and HERE.

HEAT - Will yellow/discolor plastic (white plastic in particular). The temperature for a display room should be no higher than 67 degrees.

COLD/DRYNESS - Will make your boxes and figures brittle and susceptible to cracking. Maintain a humidity of about 50% - 52% and do not let the temperature go below 50 degrees.

HUMIDITY - Will yellow/discolor plastic, vacuum metalized parts, warp boxes/cards, and rust metal (screws, exposed die cast, etc). See above for adequate humidity levels.

DUST/SMOKE- Will yellow/discolor plastic and if severe (caked-on) enough, can be extremely difficult to remove. Try cleaning your TFs with a soft bristle tooth brush, q-tips dipped in either water or Windex, or if you plan to purchase repro stickers and are brave enough to do so, disassemble the figure, place all crews and metal pieces on the side, and gently wash the figure under warm water using mild soap with a soft bristle toothbrush. When done, dry the figure immediately to avoid yellowing. Air filtration is highly recommended, especially for smokers.

12. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I'm a bad Transfan severla of my Omni/Terrorcons are displayed in a window sill.

13. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Wow. You guys really go all out. I just kinda use a canned air duster once in a while. But then again, I usually pick them up and mess with them a lot. I'm also just a casual collector.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The worst enemy for me is humidity!

15. JBF

JBF Bends minds with a spoon

WRONG

Please, keep transformers away from ANY source of UV light if possible. Fluorescent lamps, sunlight, and blacklights (oh god no blacklights) are extremely notorious for causing yellowing.

16. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I use a thick handled paintbrush with soft bristles for dusting the nooks & crannies. Works like a charm. Available at any art store, but I swiped mine from an artsy ex-GF.

I tend to keep mine in shoeboxes, which are stacked inside a large cardboard box, in my closet on the 2nd floor. So I'm not worried about water damage. My greatest fear is fire. :( 

17. Elvin Pena

News Credits:
    There's always insurance. I use Collectibles Insurance Agency for some piece of mind. It's really easy to sign up, and their premiums aren't bad in the least. Additional info can be found HERE.

18. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I use a t-shirt to loosen any heavy dirt up, followed by q-tips to get in the hard to reach area's.. followed by 120 pounds of air pressure :) 

I use this method on all my model cars as well. Keeps the interiors as nice and clean as the exteriors. That's my method of dusting.

For ploshing the toys. (can't use this method on stickers or metal, SO DONT TRY) This is strictly for plastic. But I use non abrrasive chrome polish. It wont harm the plastic, and brings it to a BRILLIANT shine. It even whitens up yellowing (to an extent) and buffs out minor scratches.

[​IMG]

That's my Omega, I had only polished the one arm (closets to us) and his feet, but trust me, the picture does it no justice. after a few days, the entire figure is like that now :ev:  so shiny, I love him!!! :D 

19. Elvin Pena

News Credits:
    I had been meaning to sticky this for a while.

20. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

Well, I store mine in boxes in a closet. Keeps them out of sunlight, keeps dust off, and the temperatures don't vary in the room, so it's all good. :D 

They do sit in boxes together, most sitting on top of eachother. They never seem to be damaged, but I do worry. :( 

I think when I do permenately store them, I think I'll bubblewrap 'em! :thumb :