Proof That Hasbro/Takara Is Aware Of The 3rd Party Companies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jan 8, 2011.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I've beeen thinking about this for a little while now and the recent news of a Generations Arcee has me thinking again.

We all know that Takara-Tomy and Hasbro are aware of the 3rd party companies. We can't be naive and think that they don't.

But, when Masterpiece Rodimus was announced right around the time Fansproject Protector was due made me think that Hasbro/Takara is aware of these 3rd party companies and is trying to combat them with their own releases of the same characters.

The speculation of a USA MP Rodimus reiterated the possibility of this scenario in my opinion.

Now we have the recent walmart listing for Generations Deluxe Arcee not long after the IGear Arcee came out.

What do you think about this possibility?

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I think it is a bit of a stretch. if they were aware of them as they no doubt are and they felt they a legit threat they would bring in their legion of lawyers and lower the legal boom on them, or as much as they could given the KO companies are by in large located in China.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They know but don't care. If Hasbro really felt the third party releases were a threat to their intellectual properties or revenues they would put pressure (casually or legally) on US based retailers that carry them.

4. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro flat out talked about 3rd party products at botcon; you'd have to be ridiculous to think they don't know about FP, Igear, etc.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    It's a coincidence that the similar products were announced around the same time. Hasbro/ Takara had to have had those toys in development for a LONG time before they were revealed. It's idiocy to think they don't know about the Third Party Companies but I just can't see them trying to "compete" with them if they really though they were THAT big of a threat(which the obviously aren't or they'd be long gone by now).

6. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's alrdy an open secret that members of Hasbro design team regularly lurks the online TF forums (as mentioned on the ROTF DVD special features disc by mr Jared Wade, Hasbro's design director).

So how could they not know about the activities & the products of the 3rd party companies then?

They've always been aware but not oblivious of it.

7. jjd1981

jjd1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who says its a competition? I think Hasbro knows what projects are being worked on by the third party groups and are in some way evening the playing field, or at least working off what they know is coming. Arcee, Rodimus, Rumble/Frenzy, just to name a few. I think its clear that Hasbro is doing something about it to a point, but at the same time 3rd party stuff is a good source of advertising so let them do it, then crush them with your true product later.

8. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

Well techincly, third parties aren't even a threat. They do help to make some robots better. But most of the exists already. One helps sell the other.

It would be nice, if the came up with a "partenariat" in which means, they would work with each other, each working on the different part of the project.

I've bought the city commander armor and then I bought both ultra magnus and prime box set.

If none of those companies would have made any of they respective kit. None of them would have had my money

9. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

They have to know they exist obviously they have booths at the same cons they organize don't they?

I think it is rediculous to say Hasbro is trying to compete, Hasbro like someone else said has had these toys in the design/concept area probably years before we ever find out about them.

Hasbro has no fear of these companies, if a 3rd party company has let's say 300 units of a product that are limited to that amount worldwide and sells them for $50 a piece to collectors that's only $15,000 dollars.

Now let's compare that to just a $9 dollar deluxe that Hasbro will sell exclusively at Wal-Marts worldwide, they will make thousands if not tens of thousands on 1 mold that is exclusive to 1 retailer.

Let alone all the other exclusives and normal line figures that they will produce and sell thousands of units of they could care less about a mere $15,000 that a collector may or may not spend on their retail products.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Hasbro is more than aware of their existence, it's just stupid to think otherwise.

But that said, with the sheer amount of time it takes to plan, design, and produce a figure there is just no way that the releases of 3rd party figures could spark HasTak to respond with one of their own that fast, no way.

11. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.....and..

Hasbro IS well aware of 3rd party products and they pose absolutely no threat to Hasbro, at least in my humble opinion. Hasbro will never acknowledge nor endorse these 3rd party products. Third party companies cannot produce the numbers that Hasbro can which is why they are so expensive and even if they COULD produce those numbers, contrary to popular belief, they would not sell them all. As a community, we like to think that there are so many of us that would buy so many new and cool toys, however, we are such a small scale compared to what Hasbro's market is.

This is also probably the same reason we do not get remakes of Metroplex, Trypticon, etc. We all think that they would sell like hotcakes, but the reality is, Hasbro has to create and sell and exorbitant amount of toys per mold in order to continue profiting, hence all the repaints/remolds.

12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Not only do they know, they even take advantage of it sometimes.. "they're releasing a classic rodimus add-on armor? A perfect excuse to re-release the mold!"

13. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    let's keep starting threads about 3rd parties and hasbro, since it's never been talked about before

hasbro knows about 3rd parties
    they are not competing with each other
    you will never see fansproject in walmart/target/TRU
    you will never see Hasbro selling a $90 deluxe like defender on the mass market

14. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    OH YEAH! thier aware of them, heck at a con earlier this year they said "We like what your doing" to one of the guns at Fansproject, and did anyone notice the B.I.S re-issue of Rodimus came out within DAYS of Protector?

Warbot Defender was a bit over the line, but for the most part Fansproject at least doesn't do anything Hasbro would stop because you have to BUY a Hasbro/Takara Product to get the benefit of a Fansproject.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Hasbro/Takara aren't releasing an Arcee to combat 3rd party Arcees. They are releasing it because fans have been asking for a 'G1' Arcee for ages.

For a moment, when Wreck-Gar was announced I DID think it was an answer to the one Fansproject is creating..but toys take a long time to create. Hasbro/Takara are doing a GREAT job with Generations/Reveal the Shield: they're pretty much releasing most of the big players that were missing from the G1 reintepretations (Kup, Scourge, Wreck-Gar, Jazz, Wheeljack, Tracks, Perceptor etc.)..and even some more obscure ones. It's their answer to the fans who have been asking for these figures.

And still..we have people complaining. How Hasbro 'doesn't care'. How Perceptor is shit because his alt mode is a science truck, rather than a microscope :lol 

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you did it in that order, Hasbro didn't make a nickel.

Bingo. This is a perfect time to take note of the old adage correlation is not causation. Other companies and Hasbro are making Arcee because they've all noticed that demand for Arcee is currently very high.

17. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Hasbro know about the 3rd parties but as they're no threat to their profits they leave them be.

Which is just fine for me because it allows me to continue to enjoy new Transformers without having to buy official products, most of which don't even see retail release here anyway because the almighty Hasbro doesn't give a crap about anywhere outside the USA.

18. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Arcee is being released in the Spring by Hasbro she has been in the planning stages long before any third party or aftermarket company announced plans for their own version of Arcee.

19. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

KO Henkei thundercracker appears, Hasbro announces generation/rts thundercracker. ppl begin saying they're going to skip the KO and wait now.

Hasbro knows of them. PPL keep asking them questions about it so how could they not know. They just don't bother. Look at city commander, it's a partsformer. Hasbro tries not to do partsformers anymore. Tho arcee is interesting. They never thought it was worth it and now they do.

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think Hasbro should bring FansProject into the fold and let them make toys that cater to collectors, like they're doing.