Heavy/Scratch: Proof-of-concept test

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sledgehammer, Dec 24, 2009.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    dude, I really hope you do finish this. It would be such a shame to get as far as you have with it, and NOT finish it. I really hope things go well for you, because like I've said before, a US based upgrade company would be so awesome. I think you stated that you were thinking about doing that once before if I'm not mistaken. I really hope all goes well, and you totally should finish SW at least.

2. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

Thanks for the kind words, OP83, but there are a couple of things I feel I need to to point out:

Firstly, I'm in the UK. :p 

Secondly, Soundwave is going to run into the hundreds-of-dollars region to get right, and that's not taking into account reprints or additional components. So, whilst I've put a lot of work into him, I have to weigh up whether or not I can justify the outlay for what is essentially a presentation piece.

(If I were doing concepts for upgrades or props instead, it wouldn't run into anywhere near as much for me in terms of production costs, and at least others would get the benefit. :thumb )

Thirdly, it's all good practice in modelling to specific measurements and tolerances, as well as an excellent springboard for other ideas I've got in the mix. The way I see it, regardless of whether a model comes to anything or not, every one you build expands your understanding and methodology of the 3D process in one way or another. It's never time wasted, but good R&D that can be used in other projects. :) 

3. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

Many thanks to all of you who have been following this little journey of discovery! I'd like to make a little announcement concerning the future of this project - Soundwave and Laserbeak have both been given the chop, due to the substantial financial strain (not to mention earache) it would put me through. :( 

However, as the eagle-eyed amongst you will have spotted, I'm now on-board with YR and the Kidbash team, as a 3D product designer. So, whilst things on this particular path have come to a close, if you'd like to take a look-see at the Kidbash thread, you'll notice a certain 'Comms Officer' set is in the works... :D 

Thanks once again,

Rob.

4. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Gah, the time involved. Particularly if making a lot of panels, which all have to be subtly different...

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Thanks for this thread Sledgehammer. If not for it, I'd have had no idea about Shapeways. I just ordered my first prototype. I checked with protomold as was suggested by someone here, but they wanted to do all 9 parts on separate molds and it was gonna be waaaay to expensive. My friend with the machine shop had to "take on a partner" which I took to mean a guy bought him out cause he no longer has free reign of the equipment. He's still gonna see what he can do to make the parts for me. In the mean time, I'll settle for a prototype.