Heavy/Scratch: Proof-of-concept test

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sledgehammer, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

Hey all,

My first Radicons post! This all began way back in 2007 as a continuation of my collaboration with Primus on his excellent Blockables project; in order to sell the idea further, I began creating an engineering model in 3D for a potential prototype, but my limited understanding of clearances and tolerances left the whole thing in a borked, unfinished state. However, it did give me a lot of good ideas on how to proceed in the future.

Fast-forward to Delta Star's top-notch WST creations, and my subsequent introduction to Shapeways | passionate about creating, and further inspiration from Venksta's brilliantly-conceived weapon sets for Classic Prime and Megs; I decided to create a new engineering model as a proof-of-concept to see what works and what doesn't, and get it printed.

Cue renders of the model's components:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How it all goes together:

[​IMG]

And the finished model:

[​IMG]

One upload to Shapeways and a PayPal payment later...

(Apologies for the awful quality of the pix, in my impatience I hadn't set my camera up correctly...)

[​IMG]

So far, so good:

[​IMG]

Success - the two sections fitted perfectly with no stress, and the ball-joint works like a charm:

[​IMG]

And with the translucent piece slotted into place:

[​IMG]

The one thing I was really looking forward to checking, and it turned out better than I had hoped for:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a quick scale check against BT Jazz:

[​IMG]

So overall, mission pretty much successful, and now I also have an additional string to my corporate bow as well. Could things have been better? Sure, I learned that recessed detail will need to be a little deeper in order to show up better, and that certain clearances will need to be made a fraction larger, but I'm really happy with the results. :thumb 

Finally, I'm pretty sure I read that Shapeways are investigating the possibility of obtaining a 3D printer that applies colour at source (either from procedural materials or texture maps). With that in mind, I thought that a couple of 'paint app' variations might be in order, with an eye on another proof order as and when the tech becomes available:

[​IMG]

And this is just the beginning... :thumb 

Happy (insert relevant Yuletide festival here) to one and all, and may the vast majority of your presents come in the shape of big stompy robots! :D 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. ampstik

ampstik Well-Known Member

very talented u r my friend!How 'bout u start on sum leader class starscream heads!Get the rotf juices flowing,guaranteed ezy cash!I'm on board for at least 2!!!I swear 2 GOD!!!!

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I wish my model had gone through as well as yours. SW totally destroyed mine in the shipping process... :( 

Can't wait to see more of it.

4. compute146

compute146 Well-Known Member

someones been busy!!!!

hi mate
    hows things?? well someones been busy then? looks fantastic by the way. you have the scope here for bigger things rob,
    brilliant mate,flipping brilliant!!!!!
    happy xmas too you,
    all the best
    colin

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    LOVE it, do keep us posted, especially if you open a Shapeways store!

6. beigoma

beigoma Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

That looks very exciting. Can you describe the durability of the product? Is it hard like ABS plastic? Can you "dent" it with your fingernail or by dropping it on the floor? Have you tried to paint it yet?

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. are you planning to be making a masterpiece sized soundwave?? I'd buy one! make him the size of screamer, and you're golden!

8. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looks great will you be casting and selling???

9. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    How much does Shapeways charge for a piece like that? Please, PM if you don't want to say on the board.
    This is really awesome, but I can't help but feel like I'm about to be replaced by a machine. "Do you hear that sound Mister Anderson? It is the sound of... inevitability."

10. Sledgehammer

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated! Unfortunately, this won't be for sale on Shapeways, and I won't be making casts of it. It's actually the launch point for a display piece that will eventually be featured on my business site (to promote design services for 3D prototyping), and I wanted to make sure I'd got certain aspects right with this proof-of-concept model before opening it up as a viable concern.

However, once the display piece is complete I may put one or possibly two copies on eBay as custom items (with the intent of not provoking the Hasbro legal beagles too far), but that won't be until much later on in 2010.

Thanks very much! Think you'd be better off talking to some of the talented casters around here for those head molds though if you're after a direct copy. :thumb 

Really sorry to hear that, A1 - was it a problem with the model's wall thickness, or did it just get battered in transit? Either way, Shapeways seem to have previous form in replacing damaged models for no charge, so drop them a mail and see if they'll print it again. :) 

Cheers, Colin! Certainly a lot of potential now I've got a solid idea on restrictions and materials - so watch this space... ;) 

Will keep you updated, DL, and thanks! :thumb 

The 'White Detail' and 'Transparent Detail' materials used are not as sturdy as their 'White, Strong and Flexible' but it depends on the wall thickness of the models being printed. Have a look at the site's FAQs and forum for more info, there's a lot of useful stuff to be found!

Well, the head's more Universe Voyager-sized... ;) 

Thanks, but as I've explained above, unfortunately not.

Heh, don't panic, you're not about to be sucked into the Matrix just yet! The thing I like about this is that it allows me to utilise my 3D skills and actually come up with a solid object - to me, it represents an emergent side of kitbashing that in no way detracts from the amazing work that everyone does here with existing materials. Just that with this, I'm in a position to use photons and numbers as my groundbase, instead of say, Unicron or Universe Prowl. :) 

And FYI, Shapeways has a minimum order of $25, so for a shade under that I ordered both pieces of the head, two translucent eye pieces, and three neck pins (just in case I busted anything in my constant attempts to be the world's biggest klutz). Yeah, it's not cheap, but I'll write it off as a marketing exercise when it comes round to doing my taxes next year... :D 

Oh, and Happy Friday to one and all! :rock 

11. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

It was 1mm thick, even if they send a replacement that's bound to get smashed as well. And with the postal strikes near me, i might as well not bother at all. :D 

I think i prefer the yellow visor head more then the red one, even thouch red would be more Soundwave-ish.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Thanks for the link to Shapeways! I'm working on something and this could be perfect for testing the fit before I spend the hard cash for a mold to be made. As soon as my 3D model is done, I'll upload and have it printed.

13. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    That looks wonderful. I know its silly to ask, but any chance of a tutorial of how to design these in 3D?

14. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

So cool.

15. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, that turned out great! :D 

16. Sledgehammer

That's a shame - I'd say go for a replacement anyway, and see how it turns out. Might take a while to arrive, but if you're not having to pay for it, it might just be worth it! And yeah, thought I'd see how it'd look it both G1 toy and toon flavours... :) 

Excellent stuff, IG - looking forward to seeing the results! :thumb 

Cheers! I'll get something together before too long, at least how it applies to this particular model! :D 

Ta very much!

Thanks mate, much appreciated! Any update on your awesome weapons sets yet?

17. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    You gonna follow my tut for the easy conversion of blockrock to Gurafi? :D 

19. scarnivac

scarnivac Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Never heard of shapeways before.. just checked it out, and it's amazing!!
    Thanks for that :) 

And happy X-mas!

20. Sledgehammer

Stunning work there as usual, Venks - the head is absolutely bang-on, and Steeljaw is the icing on the cake! I'd love to see a render of the toon-style face with blue eyes... ;) 

*seriously contemplates hunting down a Uni Blaster on eBay*

And Red, I think if I do land him, I might have to follow that tut as well! :thumb