Heavy/Scratch: Project Throttlebots 1 of 6 : Freeway

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Brunkion76, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Brunkion76

Brunkion76 HE>i

I'm sure most of you will agree that the Throttlebots are some of the lamest G1 toys that we ever got as transformers. Well, it bothered me so much that I decided to try and fix that problem, so while this is still a WIP I want to present my take on the Throttlebots with my opening bot Freeway. Still needs a lot more work, hope you guys enjoy what i've got going so far. I balljointed his head, gave him some much needed arms and legs, and a little firepower to boot, still trying to figure out how to attach the wheels and side door panels though. As always, comments and crits are appreciated, and I have tough skin, so be as brutal or as nice as you like, just as long as it's constructive. Thanks for looking and God bless.

UPDATE:

I finally finished this guy, just need to paint him and maybe do a few small tweeks. I addressed the issue of his legs being too skinny (thanks to destrongerlupus, SMOG and everyone else for all the constructive crit the first time around!), got the wheels and the doors on too, so I feel Freeway here looks a lot stockier as we all think the Throttlebots should be. I also changed the arms and painted his gun, tell me what you guys think about it now, and thanks for stopping in!

Old car mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New car mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old Bot mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New Bot mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just to show the scale of the figure (with his buddy Powerglide)
    [​IMG]

Oh Yeah, just a sneak peak at whose coming next! (Just for you Aprim, stprime and Automaster)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

good gravy that's awesome!!!!! can i commission a gold bug from you? p p p please!?!?!?!?

3. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looks great man! I really love it. SHow me goldbug dude.

4. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

bout time some gave the poor Throttle bots some love lol

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    HOWLY FECES!!! ... that's what I'm talking about!! Worst suckiest TF's come out of a dream :D 

6. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    What size class is that roughly, scout? If so, that's a huge improvement over the G1 original. I love that you added in the Go-Bot era gun. The arms and legs are a little thin, but I can see that having to fold it into such a small alt mode will require that. Either way, looking forward to the remaining Throttlebots. And then all you need is a Spanner for them to cross like in the comics.

7. ScoobyGoo

ScoobyGoo Well-Known Member

Awesome man! What are the arms and legs from? I was thinking of using the classics 'bee mold for my articulated throttlebots, but this idea is cool...

8. Brunkion76

Brunkion76 HE>i

Thanks man, I wish I could do a commission for you, but time is the problem, this guy has been sitting like this for 2 months, might get to work on him this week though, stay tuned.
    Well thanks Anthony, guess i'll make him next then.
    I know right, at least now they'll have proper proportions for the most part.
    Glad you approve!
    Size is roughly scout. I actually used the gun from machine wars mirage I think, although I did consider the Go-Bot guns. I also am not 100% happy about the thinness of the arms and legs, but as you pointed out, there ain't much room for anything bigger, thanks for stopping in!

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    He's a weeee bit leggy for my taste (I've always seen the Throttles as kinda stocky) and you need to get the doors and wheels on there..but I REALLY like where you're going with this!

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Brutal? I think this is awesome!!

The Throttlebots were lame indeed, and TINY too, so I'm especially impressed with what you did here. I might suggest that to offset the thin limbs, you instead make them shorter, to give the figure a bit more of that short stocky frame we associate with Throttlebots. That way the limbs will seem more proportionate, in a "thick" way... though I don't think they look bad now.

I'd love to see more. Then do the Battlechargers! :) 

zmog

11. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks like the wheels could attach to the feet and rear end without issue, maybe some styrene for backing. Do the arms fold all the way underneath? I dont know how the doors attached originally, but maybe you could make them part of the arms.

These types of projects rock, always love seeing these.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

In the original, the doors were the arms... though in reality they were nothing more than stubby flaps.

zmog

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is something that's been needing done for a LONG time. I'm very anxious to see your results :thumb 

14. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i have been passing over this thread for days now due to my general distaste for the throttle bots. but now that i have looked

WHAT HAS BEEN SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN!!

this is awesome work and as you said you have made the worst figure awesome by comparison

just merely a suggestions, i would make the doors hinge from under the car instead under the windows that way in robot mode the could fold onto his back. not sure if that is possible without seeing how the underside looks in altmode though

reguardless great work

15. Seansy

Seansy Me Grimlock say Go Do One

Ebay:
    Genius idea and execution.

16. Brunkion76

Brunkion76 HE>i

Yeah, i've been fighting the feeling that they need to be shorter, now I have to do something because after fiddling with it this morning I accidentally broke him :( . Oh well, gives me an excuse to rework him now lol
    The arms do fold underneath, and i've already discovered another way for them to do so, so thanks for stopping by and stay turned.

Also want to thank anyone else I missed, your comments and support are pushing me to go beyond what I have here.

17. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    You win the thread! :D 
    If that's a sneak peak of things to come...then consider this thread followed.

18. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Really looking forward to seeing the whole line, especially Wide Load. I haven't got a clue how you'll do the arms on him though, since his were the worst.

19. Automaster

Automaster Eye Heart TF's!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love this! I may follow your attempts with Goldbug!

20. Brunkion76

Brunkion76 HE>i

Big Update!