Project Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by onnsake, Aug 19, 2012.

1. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Hey everyone!! I don't have a lot of posts here, but I wanted to create this one cause the only upcoming release I'm really looking forward to is MASTERPIECE SOUNDWAVE!!!

What a work of art!!

I was lucky enough to see it in person a few months back at the Tokyo Toy Show. And even better, I got to talk to one of the designers too! I wrote a write up about my experience, but it got buried in another thread and I don't know if a lot of people got to read it....

So I am going to cut and paste my previous posts about all the information I learned about Takara projects, and open this new thread to exclusive discussion about Project Soundwave!!! I hope you are all as excited as I am!!

Sup everyone?

I know it's like midnight here in Japan but I just got home. Had a bit of a drinking session with my bro so please forgive me if there are typos.

I arrived at Tokyo Big Sight at around 3:30PM. To my horror, I quickly learned that the closing time today was 4PM and not 5PM!

I basically ran and pushed and shoved my way to the Takara/Tomy showroom....little kids and families.....screw em....I just jumped over them. I frantically screamed "Where is Soundwave????" and a very polite young Japanese man informed me he was just around the corner....

And so it was.

And I laid my eyes upon the most glorious prototype man could imagine. Seriously....this thing is perfect. Absolutely flawless. The size was perfect. All the details. The articulation. Simply perfection.

I was really lucky to catch one of the designers in the waning minutes of the show. He spoke great English too. I told how F@^&ING perfect Soundwave looked and he humbly said "thank you." He asked me which MP toys I would like in the future and quite frankly I blanked. After Soundwave I'm satisfied.......but I remembered the rumblings on the boards so I rattled off "A new Megatron in scale with the others.....and a Galvatron....and Shockwave!!!" And I said "more G1 cars like Wheeljack!" and he told me that licensing for Wheeljack was pretty much impossible.

So I told him much I loved Encore and how we need Dinobots and Technobots and Wheeljack!!!! And again, he politely told me that the molds would be a problem.

At this point they were ushering me out, so I told him how much I loved Soundwave and couldn't wait to own him and all the cassettes....and he assured me that all the cassettes INCLUDING RATBAT would be making their way to retail in two packs under the "PROJECT SOUNDWAVE" moniker.

I showed him the pic from the net of the colored prototype and he kinda clammed up....he said that wasn't meant for public consumption and a Chinese website broke it and shouldn't have. So when I asked "Are these the final colors we can expect?" he kinda shrugged....the same way he shrugged at me two years ago when I asked him if MP-9 was gonna be Rodimus.....draw your own conclusions...

And then I had to go. I shook his hand, thanked him profusely, and that was that. I wish I got his name but I didn't, and if he or any of his fellow designers ever read this, please know that I am eternally grateful.

The prototype on display was the grey scale one.....I doubt I captured anything that the others didn't, but I tried to get some angles from behind.

I think you can see in my pics the small button that pushes the cassettes forward when deploying.

And also note the left arm....there is a segment of translucent plastic.....for what purposes I do not know, but it's worth noting.

And one more.....

Wracking my brain to think of what I might have missed....

Unfortunately, I met the guy in the last closing minutes of the convention as they were ushering everyone out so I was having a frantic conversation trying to ask my questions as quickly as possible. I wish I got his name, he was really friendly and cool.

I told him I'm only missing Ratbat in my encore collection of cassettes and asked him if they could re-release it again cause it's damn expensive on the aftermarket but he said they just did a few years ago so it's not in the works.

Of course I asked about Dinobot reissues but we all know the story that the molds are lost. Still, I sure wish they would build a new set of molds or something like they did with Soundwave.

He asked me if Sideswipe was popular with TF fans in America and I said "Sure, he's a red sports car, what's not to like?" And he told me that Lambor is popular in Japan cause everyone loves the Lamborgini Countach.

Sorry, no idea if the tires are rubber.....I only had a few seconds to see the prototype and I didn't look that closely!

I told the designer that fans don't want to see this mold painted in yellow and called Sunstreaker because Sunstreaker deserves a new mold. He laughed and said don't worry, they know that Sunstreaker is totally different so they won't do that. But he said they obviously are doing Red Alert and may have the G2 black version as a repaint as well!!

So I asked if Soundwave would be released as Soundblaster and he was like "Eh....maybe. We'll see." So based on his response I'd say it's not set in stone at this time, but obviously given the proliferation of Soundblaster repaints over the last 5 years it's probable.

As for which cassette will be released with which? He didn't really say...I don't think it's decided just yet. But I was thrilled that he assured me Ratbat would be one of them. We discussed the main 6 G1 cassettes by name so I assume we'll get all of them, but no mention of Overkill or Slugfest or anyone beyond.

That's about all I can remember....I was pestering him with my fanboy demands of more Encore.....Dinobots! Wheeljack! Computron! But he just kinda said, no, not right now. And Wheeljack of course like I mentioned before...not only is the original mold gone, but remember, Wheeljack is based on a real race car from the 70s and someone somewhere must OWN that car or the rights to it, so that has to be figured out.

One last ray of hope though....he said they were thrilled to have the official Lambourgini license and hope that it paves the way for more car companies to give permission.....like Volkswagen maybe?

2. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    How in the world that this is News?

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Because he got to "interview" a guy working for Takara.

4. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If true, very frickin' awesome! It does put my mind at ease that Ratbat will be included in the cassettecon packs; Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Rumble, Frenzy, Ravage, and Ratbat are the six main players among Soundwave's minions. The others (Beastbox, Squawktalk, Overkill, Slugfest, and Autoscout) are oddballs and can probably be left for production later (if at all). I won't miss Soundblaster if they decide not to release him; at the pricepoint, MP Soundwave is quite enough for me.

Sad to hear about Wheeljack (my favorite Bot) but with his licensing issues, that's pretty much what I expected as far as a possible MP version of the character.

5. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Huh.. You managed to pop off quite a few questions in a small amount of time. I'm thrilled were getting an MP Soundwave. Just sucks I gotta wait till Christmas....

6. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    There are quire a few things in here that are newsworthy, donno why it was moved. Speaking to one of the toy designers and being told that Wheeljack is pretty much not going to happen, is definitely news to me and unfortunate to hear :cry 

Being told that we're getting the other tapes as two packs is certainly news, unless I missed this??

7. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it got moved from News to General discussion... it's probably because there's no source attached. I think they won't put this as a News item without a source... or some sort of proof to indicate that this information wasn't just speculation of some sort.

8. Optimus1116

Optimus1116 Autobot

News Credits:
    That's really great to hear! I really wish you had mentioned Jazz though :rolleyes2 

9. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have much interest in MP Sideswipe. But if they really do a deco in G2 colors, I'll have to bite.

10. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This I like sideswipe but I like his g2 colors more

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Two things that stand out.

1. Ratbat being included in the 2packs. I think I misread this and believed we will be getting two packs of two figures. Sounds to me that we will be getting 2 packs of 3 figures. This realization also includes a clue from the MP Spec Thread. When I posted that 15 and 16 will be two packs of the the cassettes the insiders reply was "close enough". Oh joy if it is true but it seems liek we are getting 2 packs of THREE FIGURES.

2. About Encore Dinobots not being released. You got a red herring there. Our TFW Takara insider has said that the Dinobots are on the way. That's not the real discoveryfor me here. The discovery os about his lie about Wheeljack. If he lied about the Encore Dinobots there is a chance he lied about MP Wheeljack.

It may be wishful thinking but these toy makers are known for being playful and throwing out just as many red herrings as they do actual teases and clues.

12. orangeitis

orangeitis Sick Kiss Players Lover

Ebay:
    Wait what?

So if NO ONE owns it, then the form of it can't be reproduced at all? I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense... can someone clarify?

13. bossprime

bossprime wrecker

Well the section is news AND rumors so I don't think i should've been moved but that doesn't detract from a nice read :thumb