Minor/Repaint: Project Marlboro Wheeljack v1

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Shakira, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Shakira

Shakira Well-Known Member

Hello all after seeing so much awesome work on these forums I decided to take a crack at customizing myself. This is my first attempt at doing a Transformer. I do have a modeling background but it focused mostly on WW2 Japanese aircraft. Marlboro Wheeljack is my dream toy. I have not been able to find a real one so I decided to recreate a Diaclone Marlboro Wheeljack as faithfully as possible. These are project pictures up to now. I need to paint the canopy and wings. I bought the head on ebay and sticker sheet from repro labels. The car is a circle stamp Wheeljack I wanted to have that right as well. I am going to attempt to dupe the box and insert using scans and templates from my Diaclone Wheeljack. I also have scans of the Marlboro instruction sheet and sticker application chart. I do have a extra correct driver for the toy as well. Hope everyone likes :O)

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    looks awesome. great job. have you ever considered water-slide decals? you can custom make anything on your pc, and it prints w/ a regular ink jet printer.

3. Shakira

I have seen them at the model shop but in the case of trying to make this is accurate as possible a straight white sheet it correct. I thought it was clear too until I looked at some pics I had of a real Marjack.

4. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

looking good. i recognize that wheeljack, didnt i sell him to you on ebay a few weeks ago? :) 

looking forward to seeing more

5. Shakira

Hello vipera :O) no I bought this one a couple of months ago. But the one I bought from you is going to be version 2. I want one in car mode and 1 in robot mode. Thanks BTW the toy is just what I wanted :O). I did not strip the original paint on v1 because it was in good shape and the original paint felt more authentic to me. I am concerned about stripping the white paint off the second one. I use Pully's to remove paint and I am afraid of damaging the tires if I leave them on or damaging them when I pull them off.

6. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

you can pry off the wheels but it is a little tricky i can post a pic of what it looks like taken apart if you like

7. Shakira

If it is not too much trouble please do. I thought they might even unscrew but I did not want to damage it trying. Thanks :O)

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    looks like you're off to a good start.

9. anovasinn

10. cefuroxx

cefuroxx Well-Known Member

heat that pin up with a soldering iron and then yank on it with some vice grips, should come out no problem

11. Shakira

Masking the wheel would be easy. I guess on v2 I will pop the tires off and mask it off. Thanks for the pics. So what is the fate of the wheeljack pictured? Btw what does the soldering iron do that makes the wheel come off easier? I would be worried about transferring too much heat to the plastic and warping it or distorting it. Thanks :O)

12. anovasinn

the wj pictured is my donor car . i have the whole thing in pieces minus conopy and one black hand. i posted pics of my marl jack in your other thread. i want to build another but don't have the cash to do so right now.

if you need some body pieces just let me know. i can prob help out.

as far as heating the pin i would try it on a junker first and the plastic tends to return to its original state if done correctly. there is nothing wrong with the tecnique i just prefer prying off the wheels when i can.

13. Shakira

project update I am stuck. I cannot find my comressor for my airbrush :O( I moved two months ago and I have not found it since I left the apartment. N-e ways Tamiya Mica Blue is a nice match to the original color used on marjack I am going to mask the canopy with liquid mask and see that happens. :O)

14. Shakira

Project update I finished it this morning I took some pics I will post them up tomorrow :O)

15. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

hurry up and post them!! :)  looking forward to it

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Wow. That's looking absolutely gorgeous. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this play out...

17. Shakira

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Wow... that is sexy. A real pro-looking job. :thumb 

19. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

wow, that turned out great. awesome job

20. anovasinn

perfect execution much better than mine :thumb