Customs: Project KO

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Saberfrost01, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

I have a G1 KO Devy but require advice for removing pins. I currently don't have the money for a G1 Deverstator so when I saw the KO I thought 'time to try something new.' So how do I take a KO and make worth keeping and not worth throwing away.

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

There's a tutorial here for removing pins (wheel pins) but it's all the same.
    If you have a soldering iron and some needle nose pliers, you should be able to do it.
    if you have a specific question about a certain pin, then we might be abe to help.
    I've found that patience and heat beat force. :) 

Randy!

3. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

Yes noting HEAT. How warm, I don't want to melt the plastic.

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Well, but you do, cause thats how you can pull the pin out. the pin heats up and melts the plastic around the pin, allowing you to slide it out. Each plastic is a little different, but if you are holding a soldering iron on the pin, it won't completly melt and deform the plastic around it (like if you held a heat gun or flame to the plastic). One thing that can happen is the soldering tip slips off the pin and you have a gouge aorund the hole. that just takes some time and practice.

if you can do it, i'd recomend buying a second KO devie to practice on. They are cheap.

Sorry if these insturctions are a bit vague, but every application is different. Pulling out pins that hold wheels is slightly different than a straight pin with a knurl (the cross hatch or rough end to a pin that holds it in place) on it.
    if you can describe which one you are talking about, or show a picture, we could give you some pointers on what to do to get started.

Randy!

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Use a punch for most of them and the solder gun for the rivets.

What kind of KO is it? The High quality or the low big lots kind?

6. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

Cheap quality KO