Non-TF: Project: Chaos

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by whiskeytango, Jun 6, 2010.

?

What color scheme/renegade Chapter should they be?

1. Putrid Green with Grey Trim/Death Guard

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Blue with Gold Trim/Thousand Suns

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Red with Gold Trim/World Eaters

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Purple with Gold or Silver Trim/The Emperors Children

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. Black with Gold or Silver Trim/Black Legion

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. Red and Grey Trim/Word Bearers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Blue-Green with Silver Trim/ Alpha Legion

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Dark Blue with Silver or Gold Trim/Night Lords

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. Silver with Gold Trim/ Iron Warriors

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Project: Chaos (update)

I'll start by saying that I was ridiculously impressed and blown away by SculptBots Warhammer 40k figures (which can be seen here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/307073-warhammer-40k-space-marines-ork.html ) His Ork was awesome, but I fell in love with the Space Marines, even though they're Ultra Marines. I decided I have to replicate them. Problem was that when I played 40k, I didn't play Marines, I played Chaos. So I've begun to set about making some Chaos Marines.

I'm purposely making their allegiances ambiguous by not adding any specific Gods icons on them, but I'm going to have a poll on this thread where you can vote for the color scheme/renegade chapter they should be. Based on what wins out, I'll also be making a Terminator Lord with iconography specific to the winner.

Not much done on these guys yet, but I got too excited to not throw some pictures up. I'm especially happy with how the bolter is turning out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Pimp My Toy

Pimp My Toy AKA Jimster

Ebay:
    Loving the bolter already, consider me subscribed.

I was always a fan of Khorne, one of the two chaos gods I can still spell (it was 20 years ago when I was into GW)...

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Never played 40K. How big are these?

Anyways, nice to see. I'd love to see the end result.

4. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Hey thanks. The bolter is my favorite part so far as well. I always played Khorne too, as I played during a time when Bezerkers were ridiculously over powered and you could just steam roll with them. I'll put you down with a vote for the world eaters.

40k miniatures are pretty small, like around an inch or so tall. These guys are being built with the Iron Man 2 Comic Series First Appearance Armor, so they're in the 3 3/4 (star wars, gi joe, marvel universe) scale.

Don't forget to vote on a color scheme.

5. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Although my favorite legions are the Emperor's Children and Night Lords, the World Eaters would probably be easiest and most recognizable to pull off. Just use an extra large helping of spikes and chains and skulls.
    I may have to try my hand at a Noise Marine or Raptor.
    Hmmm...

6. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Not a huge update here, but I'm trying to do a better job of tracking progress on things, so i thought i'd document it anyways.

added some more accoutrements to make this guy more distinctly chaos. Ab tubes, hand spikes and chest arrows. 'Dem Chaos characters are crazy about their arrows. I did some more work on the other guy too, such as a belt buckle and started to bulk up the lower leg, but it looks like ^$@* right now, so i'm not going to bother showing it, as I think it would only serve to lose interest.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

EMPEROR'S CHILDREN!!!!!!

The bolter looks amazing! Good start!

8. JSP

JSP Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    hes looking good. how many of them are you making?

9. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

@Phoenix Blaze: Thanks man

I have to ask, why is there so much Emperors Children love?! Not just here, but on every site i've posted anything about this on. I hate Slaanesh, and can't understand the allure. Please, someone enlighten me.

@JSP: Thanks, though I think he kind of looks like hell. All my stuff does until its finished, and sometimes after that too.

I think I'm just making the 2 of these guys, and maybe a Terminator Lord if these go well.

10. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Collecting the numbers from all the three sites I currently have this posted at, here are the results so far:

Black Legion in the lead with 8 votes
    Emperors Children nipping at their heels with 7 votes
    Both Night Lords and World Eaters tied for third with 5 votes each
    Iron Warriors, Word Bearers, and Thousand Sons tied with 3 votes each
    and
    Death Guard and Alpha Legion bringing up the rear with 2 votes each

11. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Worked a little bit more on these guys. Well, not so much on "them" as on their arsenal. Added a bolt pistol (which is characteristically huge... seriously they have to get a laugh out of calling it a "pistol") and a chainsword. They both need some sculpting on them to add some detail. However, I'm not sure I'm totally happy with the chainsword. I think it might be too thin. I might break off the teeth from the back of it and either sculpt on some more girth, or break the teeth off and just relegate it to the commissar I plan on making. Maybe make a chain-axe or something for this Chaos guy.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. JSP

JSP Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    the chain axe idea sounds good as it fits in better with chaos. I'm with you on Slaanesh, wasnt a big fan of that chaos god much prefered khorne and Tzeentch

13. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

This is so neat, not everyday someone makes up some GW customs.

I never got into makign them certain colors, I never played the game I just painted mine in what I thought looked good.

You need to make a Noise Marine as well.

14. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

So, i kind of hated the chainsword I made last night, so today it got repurposed into a combi-melta for the planned Terminator Lord. It ridiculously big, though I suppose that appropriate. Like everything here, its got alot more work to go, but I like it alot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have absolutely no idea what this is, but I absolutely love your custom scratchbuilt stuff.

16. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For me, the love of the EC is more for the style and colors. It incorporates both the hard armor alongside the smoothe skins to create a more dramatic 'flavor'.
    That, and there's occasionally boobies. Second-gen Daemonettes, anybody?

With the body of the figure being an Ironman early mark, I'd say use that to your advantage and go towards the Iron Warriors.

I like the chain bolter, but the saw teeth are a bit too large. Sure, they look okay upsized on the minis, but on a larger figure they look off.

17. JSP

JSP Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    that combi weapon is nice. I'm thinkin of trying some warhammer 40k guys now lol. Have you started making the terminator lord?

18. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I've started a little preliminary stuff on the Terminator. So far, all i have done is the combi-melta and one of his shoulder pads. I'm going for the pre-heresy style shoulders, as I always liked them. However, I do have alot of him planned out. He's going to be difficult, but I hope he turns out looking good.

19. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I've been doing work here and there with these guys. Most of the time has been devoted to finishing up their weapons, which still have a ways to go. I got antzy and started up on the shoulder pads of the Terminator. I always loved the art of the terminators in the Heresy art book, so I decided to fashion them after that. Makes more sense for a Chaos Marine to have armor from the heresy era anyways. So heres a pic of one of the shoulder pads, and then another to show the size next to a normal marine. He'll actually be a little taller than that, as the new feet I plan on using boost him up a little bit. That'll be good, since his head is going to be lowered a little to match the ridiculous way terminators heads line up with their shoulders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Also, thought I should add a new tally to the voting.

Unless some drastic change hits, this will probably be the poll that i'll go off of. I can't lie, the results are kind of what I was hoping for. Horus is one of my favorite 40k characters, so i'm happy to be doing his former legion.

Black Legion: 10 votes
    Emperors Children: 9 votes
    Iron Warriors: 8 votes
    World Eaters: 8 votes
    Word Bearers: 7 votes
    Death Guard: 4 votes
    Thousand Sons: 4 votes
    Night Lords: 3 votes
    Alpha Legion: 2 votes