Product to fix plastic.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by krazy83karl, Jan 19, 2009.

1. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a good super glue or something to glue the plastic tab back onto the other piece in my picture below? I wasn't being very careful putting wing saber's arm onto optimus and I broke the tab off truck windshield that reveals the chest for optimus's supermode. I bought and tried regular super glue but that doesn't hold at all. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't use super glue or polystyrene cement, the bond doesn't last. Try Araldite, which is a two part adhesive, it sets rock-hard but use sparingly.

3. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

any idea where i can get that? Is that something I can just find at like home depot or lowes at a hardware store?

4. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can try Testors's Liquid Plastic Cement, they sell it at most hobby retailers and also at Hobby Lobby, i just bought a bottle the other day to repair my MP starscream (worked like a charm) for about $2.99, it lasts for ever (you need the one that is clear that comes in the little glass bottle with the brush applicator, it's used to glue plastic models).
    To fix that, clean the superglue as much as possible, then just brush a little bit of glue on both parts, hold them together for about a minute then let it dry for several hours (if it's a hinge that's going to bear any stress, i suggest let it dry overnight).
    What this glue does is "welds" the 2 pieces together (i.e there is no glue in between the parts after it dries),making the bond very strong; so be careful and don't let it spill all over the piece or is going to marr the look of the plastic.
    It worked great on my MP Starscream's wing joint that i carelesly cracked, glued it, and now it is like new.
    Hope this helps.

5. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know. Araldite is a brand name in the UK for a two part epoxy adhesive, I don't know if that's true in North America, I think you should be able to two part epoxy adhesive by another name at a hardware store.

I've never got on with Plastic Cement or Super Glue personally, joints never lasted.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I had that happen to my Energon Optimus too (one of the few times a TF of mine has broken). I remember it was a right git to fix as after the glue set the part had to be flexed slightly to get it to clip back onto the chest, which usually snapped it off again. I can't remember what I used in the end but even though it's fixed I'm very wary of using it too much. Maybe one day I'll pick up a junker so I can nab the chest door off it.

Can we get Testors Liquid Plastic Cement here in the UK? I'd rather walk into a store and get something than have to order online.