Processor over Matter: It's not magic.

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Paxtin, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I was surprised by just how many fans out there honestly though that Prowl had somehow suddenly developed “magic” powers with the advent of the recent episode: Five Servos of Doom.
    I do not think this is actually the case, I do believe there is a scientific explanation behind Prowls levitation ability.

Now I will level with you, when I first saw that part of the episode, I too was left a little bewildered. But I looked back on how this whole “Processor over Matter”(Or PoM) was introduced into the show; we first saw it at the end of season 2 in where Prowl uses it to get himself out of a pair of stasis cuffs, he does so by humming, which led me to believe this concept is based on vibrations disrupting the electronics of the cuffs. Later in the episode of FSOD, it’s also shown that simple electronics, in this case a door, can be controlled using the same technique.
    So with the notion that this ability must be based on advanced harmonics, I decided to see if I could find anything on it being used for levitating(At the very least in theory.) and I found this:
    Grid Harmonics & Levitation in Tibet, page 1

Not only does it show the concept does in fact have a science behind it, (All be it a very sci-fi based science.) it also ties into the whole martial arts theme they have going with Prowls character.

So yes, Prowl does not in fact now have "spiritual voo doo powers". There is a theoretical science behind the concept. At least one that's good enough for a fictional world of sentient alien robots.

There was also another aspect to this episode in where people thought that Prowl had teleported at one point. And while teleportation is nothing new to Transformers, (Skywarp.) I think this scene in question was actually Prowl using his holo-decoy. You know, the one he’s showcased throughout the whole series.

Oh yeah, and I'll just get it out of the way now: NEEEERRRRRRD!

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    muy interesante

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Hell, look at Soundwave, he uses that same principle you just explained to create a robot army. If thats the case, Soundwave is like the PoM master! :D 

EDIT: Oh yeah.... NEEEEEERRRRRD!

4. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Strong with the force, that one is.

5. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Its Robochlorians, duh :lol 

6. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^do you hat this theory too

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, well, magic is cooler. :3

8. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Or it could just be writing and giving the character the symbolism that he is now in fact completely trained (where past references were made that he was not, by Jazz in Mission Accomplished and Yokitron in 5 Servos of Doom flashbacks).

9. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

That is actually what I was kind of suggesting. Rather then what I've seen some people complaining about him just being "magical" now.

Damn straight.
    Actually that'd be pretty cool if when Soundwave shows up again, Prowl trys to use PoM on him and Soundwave just cancels it out and causes it to backlash, sending Prowl flying on his tailpipe.

10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    He's not magical. He just finally achieved "master" status in his cyber-ninja training. Yes, they're going to throw some Earth-like magical-prowess to it, but that's to make it feel more believable, even though the irony is how unbelievable the entire concept is.

11. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Uh...Ok. I still don't see how that has anything to do with me offering up a techno babble explanation for those who couldn't figure out Prowls powers.

And if some actually want to believe the magic theory, I don't have a problem with that.
    Like I said, this was more for the people who needed something to wrap their comprehension around that made a little more scene then paranormal robots.

12. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Is anyone else getting serious lag on the site? It took me like five minutes just for this page to load. And no, it's not my computer because everything else works fine and fast.

ANYWAYS, thanks for this. I knew it wasn't magic, but I couldn't fathom how exactly it was scientific. xD

13. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

You're welcome. :thumb 
    And yeah, it's not just you. I was getting some pretty bad lag the other day.

14. panpo98

panpo98 Well-Known Member

I thought it was obvious that "Processor over Matter" is the attempt to find the right frequency/code breaking. Accomplice things with less instead of brute strength or special equipment. Like kicking a man between his legs.

Sound science is not strange or magic. It is just not so common. We normally only see it then a girl sings so high that the glass breaks.

15. LadyHood

LadyHood Bounty Hunter

all i can as is"Use the force Prowl" lol

16. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Yoketron ish Yoda? :3

17. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

They've levitated small objects with sound in labs.

For example.

So yeah, there may actually be something to Prowl's neat little talent.

*Starts humming and floats away...*

18. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i didnt read too much into the power, i just assumed it was some tangible mechanism that prowl has mastered.

it seems magical in the same way that guns or eclipse predictions would seem magical to cultures/people unaware of them.

19. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I beleived in the science until Prowl levitated the billboard thing. And the fact that he has to do all of those "Dance Dance Ninja Moves" kinda...well it gives off a magic vibe. Thanks for the science though. You have re-validated my faith in ... well ... not magic ... yeah.

20. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I think that was more for show then anything else. Or maybe like an exorcize to build up his focus, sort of thing...His dance was goofy though.