Proceed to Oblivion

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by littlebotbrat, Sep 12, 2007.

1. littlebotbrat

littlebotbrat Well-Known Member

In the old movie, Unicron tells Old Megs to proceed to oblivion since he doesn't agree to be Unicron's lackey. Doesn't Megatron believe or know that once his spark leaves his body,he unites with the matrix Doesn't Megatron believe in the matrix? He was sent to retrieve it but he doesn't believe his spark becomes one to with the matrix or at least with the autobot one. Or, do decepticons just proceed to obliviiiiiion once they pass away.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Many people believe in an afterlife, but it doesn't mean they want to die.

3. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

if you believe the fiction,all tf's are by nature autobots.in the core continuity,megatron started the decepticons,so i would guess whatever would happen to them would happen to the decepticons.

4. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Megatron is an atheist, obviously.

5. sondura

sondura duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh...

My guess is he wanted to get back at starscream for tossing him out of astrotrain before he died
    and/or he beleived in "the pit"(the cybertronian equivilant of hell)
    but seeing as the pit was only mentioned in beast wars I'll have to go with the first one

6. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Matrix was invented only for the Autobots at that time, and had very little mythology behind it.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i believe in robot reincarnation. until they reach mechanirvana that is.

8. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I think Dark Convoy's explanation was the most eloquent one I've heard on this matter.

I've honestly never even thought about it (nor did the writers I'll bet), but if I had to give my spin on things, it'd be like this.

So what if the Autobots have the Matrix? We (the audience) know that it's some kind of mystical artifact, but what about the characters? Are we even sure Optimus "knows" he'll return to the Matrix? At best, Optimus & co have faith that they'll return to the Matrix after death. Assuming the Autobots and Decepticons have religion, then I doubt Megatron wants to return to the Matrix, which is a largely Autobot artifact.

Moreover, Megatron never has access to the Matrix. It's not like Megatron can kill Reflector and ask Reflector to report on the Matrix...and it's not like Megatron can ask Optimus to borrow the Matrix to then speak to Reflector. Megatron seems to know exactly what the Matrix is, but just because the enemy has an artifact that some claim is mystical, doesn't mean you buy it. Therefore, the idea that someone returns to the Matrix after death can understandably have zero soothing effect at all.

It's like a soldier near death and someone comes along and saying, "Don't worry, you'll soon be in your enemy's afterlife," you know?

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i personally like the theory espoused in the fanfic 'best first': matrix, primus, quitesson, unicron/ultimate warrior - its all the same thing. just like us human we believe in different things but ultimately on one is correct. or maybe theyre all correct in some aspect.

ok thats enough thinking for the day.

10. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How about this theory...

Even if megatrons spark would have went to the matrix, floated around as a ghost, went to robot-hell, whatever. Maybe Unicron can force his spark to go somewhere, and oblivion being nowhere, megatron has an ego and wouldn't want to get completed wiped from the face of well, everything including the afterlife(or whatever).

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree, also it might have been as simple as the equivalent of a secure disk wipe with no chance of retrival.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I always just took it as meaning that Unicron would devour Megatron's Spark.

13. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this makes a lot of sense. its kinda like the discussion over at the SW boards about how how one qualifies as a force ghost.

14. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Well now.....you pretty much can't rule the universe if you're dead, now can you?

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    That would be one hell of an achievement though.

I've got to concur, for a power obsessed egomaniac like Megatron, the idea of passing quietly into the night, his enemies unavenged, the universe unconqered is unfathomable.

Also, let's not forget that continuity has been greatly expanded on; there was no allspark, no matrix for every spark at the time of the movie, it was lasercores and well, sort of nothing. There never really was explicit mention of a robot afterlife, even the pit wasn't a fully developed idea at that time.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    In a strict sense, the Matrix and Primus and all of that were retconned for the original 1986 movie. I never heard mention of a 'spark' until Beast Wars, and in the movie, Kranix had to tell Kup and Hot Rod who Unicron was. He was not their Dark God, the Chaos Bringer, but rather a giant planet sized Transforming robot they happened to encounter.

However, even if you apply all the later continuity aspects to the original movie, it still doesn't mean Megatron would want to die.
    You can tell a devoutly religious person "Prepare to meet your maker," but that doesn't mean that person is going to want to die.