Problems connecting to Xbox live...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Sixshot, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    My old roomie can't connect to Xbox live. It's strange because we played through the same connection, and one day it just crapped itself out. When the network diagnostic on the Xbox runs, it says that the DNS is not resolved. We've tried everything:

Changed settings from auto to manual, looked everything up
    Called Xbox live support
    Called Comcast support
    Cloned the computers mac address
    Spent hours on google

...and no dice. What's even stranger is that the cable modem is hooked up to a wireless router, and his computer is getting an internet connection and works fine. We even tried a direct connection from the modem to the box. The damn DNS problems won't go away.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped and so is my friend. :huh

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Weird. You can type the actual DNS IP into it and it won't work?

Isn't there a specific port or something you have to allow on the modem? Try turning off the modem's firewall too, if there is one.

If not, I'd try a new modem.

It's possible that your Xbox NIC took a dump, too, I guess.

3. Onslaught Phase 2

Onslaught Phase 2 Know my name and fear it!

Is your problem fixed, or are you still needing help? I see this is kind of an old message...?

4. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Still needing help...

Megamoonman, I am going to try a new modem (trying to find the power supply for an old one I found). The xbox's nic should be fine, as I plugged my xbox into his connection and it coundn't connect either (mine's working on live as we speak at my place). We've used his connection and his box before to play. We never had to turn off any firewalls or anything. I thought it was something on comcast's end, what with the DNS error.

5. Onslaught Phase 2

Onslaught Phase 2 Know my name and fear it!

Hey, I don't want some HUGE discussion here for trouble shooting in a thread format... too back and forth, ya know? Msg me on AIM if you want some help. it's under my nick ;) 

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    What happened when it quit working? Did anything get changed that day? Unplugged, reset?

If nothing changed that day, I'd guess the cable company changed DNS settings or something like that. If you can see what the DNS IP is on the computer and can enter it into the xbox, I'd try that. I'm not really sure what the xbox is capable of in terms of network setup, I know I can enter all that IP crap into mine, but mine is modded.

If the modem has a firewall, I'd turn it off, just as a test, and maybe mess with some other modem settings. Just remember what they were to begin with so you can put them back.