Problem with Transformers in general.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Movebuster, Nov 4, 2010.

?

How do you feel?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2010.
  1. No, Playing your way is too much trouble.

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. It does sound intriguing, but I know better.

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. I want to / already do play your way.

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

As far back as 1984, it's been my goal with Transformers to tell a story with them that starts on Cybertron before they leave for earth, possibly before transformers were even built (now that the original 13 are on the horizon, who knows?) and ends with the defeat of the decepticons, later the Predacons, at the end of the war. I saw the folly of this long ago, as I've never gotten much past the introduction of the Constructicons and Jetfire without having to start over again. But I can't stop.:lol 

What makes it even more time-consuming is the fact that with Transformers, it takes forever to transform large groups of them, as when Optimus Prime barks, 'Autobots, transform and roll out!', even in the case of G1. and repeating the same transform sequence three times in a row for the seekers is a bore.

For me, I could live with playing with transformers the adult way, just admiring them on a shelf in different poses for a while. But if I'm going to do that, I might as well go with Zoids or Mobile Suit Gundam as they look better when they are done up like model kits as opposed to toys. All my Zoids have been dressed in fake panel lines and rust and dirt and paint chips... they just don't have multiple modes and I'm not overly familiar with the back story.

So my question for you is, are you happy with flitting with a transformer? or does it make you ache for something deeper?

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

There's like three different topics going on here and I don't understand the question.

3. Movebuster

Sorry, I knew I was being unclear. I was just explaining my background and wondering if you would rather play that way or if you are satisfied just taking a transformer down off a shelf, posing it and transforming it, and putting it back every now and again. I personally feel that I could live with it, but I'd always be tempted to go back to my chosen way.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I always bring down a certain TF and start to mess around with it. Playing around with it, posing it, transforming it back and forth, etc.

I mean I know I collect them, but they're still toys. In the end, toys are always meant to be played with.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I don't understand.

It's also quite curious that you deliberately posted this knowing you're being unclear.

Given the poll choices, other responses, and a few sentences, I'm guessing you're asking that as an adult, do I still play with my toys with the big battles recreating episodes or are they essentially cheap shelf statues? I think.

6. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    What are you trying to say?
    Do I have a large, constantly evolving back story for my Transformer figures?
    Transformers take too long to transform if you have a bunch of them?
    Displaying them on a shelf is the adult way of "playing" with them. Anything else is the childs' way of playing?
    Do I like transforming my figures or do I want something more substantive?
    Am I even close?

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I didn't think the question was that hard to understand at all since it outlines in the final line of his post...

Unless I'm misunderstanding he's asking if you're content with leaving TFs as display pieces on a shelf or if you'd rather have childlike battle sequences and storylines...

There's nothing more than I would love to do than have a big room to be able to go into and escape into a fantasy land of Transformers complete with doing the voices, making transformation sounds and "pew pew pew!" noises :) 

However I don't, and really can't so I make comics in the Funnies forum as an oulet for creativity and escapism. It's a fun compromise between my outer adult and inner child ;) 

8. Movebuster

yes, that's close... I didn't realise I had so many different subjects. Saying that a child plays with toys one way and adults another is just someting I picked up from a previous thread. That's not what this post is about.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I... think I understand the topic.

My figures are posed on my shelf, static, guns drawn towards each other. I don't take anything down off of my shelf to fiddle with, I have other figures for that (Hasbro releases, while TakaraTomy releases are displayed). The only time I change a figure's pose is when I add a new figure to the shelf and need to make room, or just feel like rearranging the shelf for the look of it.

I don't have the several hour long battles I used to when I was a kid. Assuming I wanted to nowadays, I just don't have that kind of time.

10. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm not going to act out fan-fiction with my toys if that's what you're asking. I'd rather pick a bot or two off my shelves, transform them, pose them, and put them back when I'm through.

And I don't know which option to pick in the poll. All the options assume I want to play "your" way.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't see myself doing that again until my kids are old enough to want to play.

12. Movebuster

Oh, No, In your case you would pick option 1.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I harbor the desire to make an epic photocomic with my toys, but I don't have the resources to do so.

14. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    No, option 1 assumes I want to play your way but think it's too much of a hassle. I don't want to play your way period.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

You could just ignore the poll, and this thread entirely, in that case. Involvement isn't mandatory.

16. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Transforming even one, to me, is a big investment of time. I don't mind doing it once or twice to get the hang of it, but doing it multiple times with army of TFs to act out a sequence in your make believe world is not my cup of tea. I love to pose all of my TFs in bot mode because it takes up the least amount of space and it's the mode with the highest poseability. After I got all my CrazyDevy add on parts for my combiners I will pose Bruticus, Predaking, and Devastator side by side and take a few pics. To me that's better than having two armies of TFs going at each other.

17. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I voted #1.
    I do not play with my Transformers.

18. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Well due to the ever changing displays I have my figures in every month, I keep them in one mode till I decide to move the shelf around, transform em to save space.

Right now for the first time in a year I've transformed my DVD Prime into Truck Mode [Correctly too] and hooked up a 1:18 scale trailer to him and my MP Grimlock was in Robot mode now in Dino mode next to Prime...

In fact I rarely play with em, but they get transformed occasionally...like every 2 months or so.......[Soundwave gets Transformed the most apparently but now he's in a case] and as for battle scenes, I barely have room on the shelves for that type of thing......

I just don't play with the toys anymore, they've become dust magnets as of late...

19. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

I understand what you're saying, and that could be a great concept were it pertaining to G1, but with the modern day TF's.....man that's like a lot of time. I think it's safe to say for most of us, at least myself, even if I had that kind of time I still don't know if I have that kind of gumption. You know what I mean? It's one thing to take a few "bricks", move a couple of parts, and proceed with your battle. It's another thing to take two handfuls of chugs and go a little something like this. I want this handful of chugbots to have a conversation in bot mode, then transform and drive across the living room, just to retransform and engage the chugcons. After which this battle ensues that involves multiple transformations back and forth with multiple voice changes. Hell I don't even have an ideal voice to do that. Even when I was a kid most of my TF's sounded alike, at least in my mind. I guess I would be somewhere between #1 and #2. Seems more practical to just take some TF's and get right to it. If they have to fly or drive, just pretend. They'll still love you the same lol.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nobody uses chug anymore.