Problem with my ROTF DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Starscreamer69, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, this is my first post here so here goes ;

I live in Australia and today whilst in Kmart I bought Revenge of the Fallen right?
    When I came home I decided to watch it only to find out that the CGI was laughably bad, which was odd and FRUSTRATING seeing as I've seen clips on youtube with the CGI looking much better than it did on my HD TV. And no I'm not one to complain but it is ridiculously bad ; the scene with the Doctor he actually looks cartoon-esque. =S

I wonder if thise has happened to anyone else whose bought the DVD? Because I'm hoping it's a problem with my TV, but I'm also wondering if anyone else has been plagued by these bad visuals?
    Is there anyone else out there with the same problem or is it just me? haha

If anyone knows about this i would appreciate you getting back to me!
    Thanks!

2. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Interesting...Unfortunately that's my only input. I haven't seen this problem.

3. madeguy20

madeguy20 Banned

News Credits:
    That's odd... I would suggest running that disc on another player, or finding a friend who has one and watching their version, see if there is a difference.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    First off, welcome to the boards!

I'm going to move this over to the movie forum, I think it has a better fit there.

Back to the subject, it could come down to quite a few criteria such as: the type of monitor, the make and model of the DVD player, the types of cables being used, and the image playback settings on said monitor and/or player. For example, a $50 DVD player being used with a $2000 plasma screen can look pretty bad due to the image enhancement settings that the monitor may use, resulting in contrast tweaks that makes film stock look like something shot for a soap opera.

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Can we get a screenshot or something of the badness?

6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    The CGI wouldn't be a problem alone - all the imagery should look bad if the problem is technical. Otherwise this is a veiled swipe at the production values of the movie.

7. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Welcome to teh boards!

The CGI blew my f*cking mind.

Don't really know why you're complaining :S

8. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    This, and welcome aboard matee!

9. Starscreamer69

No don't get me wrong I watched it in IMAX when it came out and the CG is awesome, I tottally agree with you on that one. It actually wasn't me who picked up on the bad CGI while watching it on my TV it was my little brother who compared the Nemisis scene to pre-rendered graphics of a game.

10. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I had an error with my Bluray disc, when I played it on my bluray rom on the computer, the audio is a little screwed up at the beginning, but it works fine on my brothers PS3.

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Welcome!! Did you buy the regular dvd, or the blue ray?? I had a really good dvd player, bought the walmart version of the dvd, and man, I was horrified that the CG quality was so bad!! I got a financial tip from someone in my aera saying best buy had a sale on a blueray ayer. So I went and picked it up (because let's be honest, who doesn't want blueray in their life??). I got home hooked everything up, and put the dvd in. The imaging looked a little beter, but not by much, so I said F this, I'm gonna go buy the blueray disk and I tell ya what, that was the best ting I had done for rotf. Everything blended together perfectly. The doctor scene looked better than ever, and megs getting blown out the wall and rolling off looked awesome again!! Go buy blue ray, it'll make such a difference!

12. Starscreamer69

hope this works.

IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/24gmww0.jpg[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Starscreamer69

[​IMG]
    and this one too

thanks guys for the welcomings =)

14. Starscreamer69

Thankyou!
    And yes i bought the regular dvd version. I am actually glad you said this as it confirms my theory that I'm not just being paranoid or absurd.
    Your comment makes me want blue ray ever so badly though, for some reason all this time I've been thinking not too deeply into how good it could be.

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^oh its good buddy. Don't you worry about that, it iiiisss good. And well worth the $$ thrown down. The quality difference os astounding, astonishing, amazingly superb, how ever you want to say it, but its freakin awesome as hell!! "Go! Go now, it was my mission, but now its yours!!! Hurry!" That quote seemed to fit nicely there :) 

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    that's some really horrible artifacting right there. My guess is the compression they used isn't designed for handling such complex imagery.

The more paranoid, conspiratorial part of my mind might even suggest that they deliberately overcompress some dvds to highlight the superiority of Blu-Ray.

17. Starscreamer69

I look forward to completing that mission then =D

18. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i didn't have a problem with anything the picture was great and so was the sound like somebody else said try it on a different player hopefully that will work good luck. #400

19. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I remember two years ago I tried to watch the 07 movie DVD on my parents' HD tv screen. It looked bad, pretty much the same as here - it became very clear all of a sudden the robots didn't blend in and they moved much more fluid than the rest of the film. Not sure if it's a manufacturing fault.

I'd say only play heavy cgi movie DVDs on regular tvs..if you want to watch on a HD tv, get Bluray.

Oh, and welcome. :)