Problem With My DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by REDLINE, Feb 28, 2008.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been backing up a lot of my movie collection recently, and I had run out of discs, so the last few I had just put on my HDD. I finally got some new discs in, TDK DVD-Rs. I also found a couple Verbatims too. Well, I tried to burn the few that I had saved to the HDD, and when in Nero, (or even a crappy freeware I downloaded thinking it was my Nero that was the problem) It says the blank disc that I've inserted into the drive only goes up to 4x, which isn't true, they're all clearly labeled 1-16X speeds. To top it off, if I try to burn, it immediately gives me a burn failed message. I tried at 4,2, and even 1 speed to no avail. in DVD Shrink, it says "illegal disc" which is horse-manure too.

What are the odds of me having not one but TWO batches of bad discs?? Did my DVD burner just decided to croak on me? It seems to still read discs just fine, other than not reporting the proper speeds available on the blanks, of course.

Anyone have this happen to them before? solutions?

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Check your burner's format specs. Make sure its able to use DVD -R's. Mine will do both -R's and +R's.

3. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Have you tried running the files through DVD Decrypter to get rid of the copy protection? Just a though incase that is indeed the problem.

4. REDLINE

News Credits:
    well I've already burned a whole bunch of DVDs without any problems. I just had to wait till I got more discs to finish up, so in the meantime I'd gone ahead and finished copying the discs to the HDD. Once I resupplied, I tried to get back to burning and that's when the problem surfaced. The ones I'm copying don't have any protection, as they are movie channel recordings, via my DVR then to DVD.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think your drive is just about dead.

Can you copy anything to a DVD?
    You know, just drag files and burn them.
    How about to a CD?

After a failure does it say anything in Nero or Event Viewer?

I had a very similar issue except my problems were sporadic.
    Eventually, the laser on the burner just went out.
    It wouldn't even read discs let alone burn them.

The good news is that DVD drives are really cheap these days.

I got a 16 speed, all format, dual layer burner with LightScribe for $70.
    The average price for a new drive seemed to be about $40.

6. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    My only other suggestions is to down load Img Burn and see if you can burn the files through that. Otherwise, if that doesn't work, my knowledge is tapped.

7. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

my dvd burner died a while back and it was doing pretty much the same thing. i just up and bought a new one last month on sale for $30 and it's been fine ever since. it does 16x, lightscribe, dual layer, all formats... if you look you can find them cheap as dirt nowadays.

8. REDLINE

News Credits:
    That's what I was afraid of. I'm strapped for cash right now too. what sucks is I've had no problems until now, and I even copied the last 4 discs hassle-free right before this too, just hadn't burned anything in a few days. At least they're not too high priced.