Problem with Microsoft Word and symbols

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by The Barracuda, Feb 18, 2010.

1. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

I have an odd problem with Microsoft Word. I'm a writer and thus I have the program open a lot of the time. After a while, the symbols (you know, apostrophes, question mark, etc) all of a sudden switch around to different keys. But it's always the same keys, so much so, once it happens, instead of rebooting the program to fix it, I eventually just use the new keys the symbols have been "assigned" to (having been able to memorize them). Anybody else have this happen to them? Once I reboot, the problem goes away.

And today, while writing this post and editing another, I found out it's happening on my internet browser as well, so I'm wondering if it's more a problem with the keyboard settings than Microsoft Word now.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Switch keyboards yet?

3. The Barracuda

No, but I guess I should try that as a test.

4. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

I'd recommend checking your computer's language settings to see if it's switching to another input language without your knowledge. If it's switching to a QWERTY-based keyboard layout for another language, the letters would all be in the same place, but the punctuation will likely move around like you described. You can check out Keyboard layout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a handy list of a bunch of different QWERTY layouts to see if they match.

5. The Barracuda

Yup, that was it. It was switching to the Canadian French set-up. Thanks!

6. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

Excellent. Glad I could be of assistance.