Problem with Masterpiece Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Noisemaze2006, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Nah, they peg in. those black flaps flip out and go in little slots on the red part of the jet.

The issue is on the takara version too. just not as widespread because people werent further-weakening the plastic with alchohol and paint thinner.

2. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

It's not the alcohol.
    Both my MP-03 and Hasbro MP SS have the same cracks in the same areas. The alcohol has nothing to do with it. They both have the wing joint cracks and the engine cover cracks. With or without alcohol, it doesn't make a difference. It's possible that alcohol might make it worse, but that is not the problem.

The problem is with the mold design. The tolerance on these joints is simply too tight for the quality of plastic. Its takara's fault and Hasbro just used the mold without correcting the problem. Also overall the plastic on both Hasbro and takara are very thin and fragile.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    well, I've carved away at the joints on the black plastic, and a bit on the white, and the wings rotate up nice and easy now. there's still some resistance, but it's about 1/6 what it was before. my starscream should be just fine.

4. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

Why in the hell would you use thinner on plastic???? Thinner can melt the plastic. Second, leave the figure alone instead of trying to show Hasbro how it is done.

5. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Couldn't disagree with you more. Repainting, cleaning up sloppy paint-apps, stickering, decaling, whatever, it's all good, and makes the figure a little bit more enjoyable for the owner. However, doing that means you have to be aware of the risks involved in using any chemical on plastic. Having been one of those who did melt down a couple pieces in paint thinner, I'm well aware of what it can do and tend to avoid using it as a "wash." But I'll surely defend the rights of others to wash their figures so long as they accept they're doing so at their own risk.

I just think telling people they shouldn't ever customize a figure at all is going one step too far. Be aware of what you're doing, and accept responsibility when what you do causes a problem, sure. Don't do anything for fear you might cause a problem? Nah.

6. SonRay

SonRay Banned

QFT! Kitbashing and repainting TF's is one of the highlights of the hobby IMO, especially when you can make a reasonable profit out of your work when it is complete.

7. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    I'll be damned. I just thought those were the joints the wings could angle back on in robot mode, like the stabilizers on the wings. Wasn't aware they popped out as tabs. Just found it after giving Screamer a once over after reading your post. Huh. Thanks!