Problem with Masterpiece Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Noisemaze2006, Nov 14, 2007.

1. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

[​IMG]

2. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm curious how many of those who cleaned Starscream up are noticing stress/damage vs those who left him dirty. I'm starting to second guess the clean up project.

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

i cleaned mine but i have yet to transform it again after cleaning it. ill have to not try now LOL

4. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Mine came from experience. It all started when I wanted to just "clean up and add weathering" for my TFs and suddenly I noticed that bits and pieces of plastic started to drop off (more like turning soft and started to crack and break away), especially on areas that has metal pins.

Just my opinion - Methinks that the thinner might seep into the cavity between the plastic and the metal pins that eventually caused disintegration.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

What the fuck???

I have transformed mine probably 20 times - no problems except for a stress mark in the red plastic on his intake that was there when I bought it.

The plastic feels like the same plastic they used for classics - it seems much higher quality than the plastic used for MP Megatron.

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm really glad I only cleaned off the nosecone.

7. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    So is it a confirmed fact that alcohol weakens some plastics? I'd never heard this before reading it on this thread. I've always been leary of paint thinner on plastic but people have been recommending the use of alcohol for paint removal for years.

8. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

That is some serious sh*t...
    >_<

I'm hoping we get more custom-n-kitbashers come in here to enlighten us!

9. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    I've cleaned two of mine with the alcohol. I've transformed each a silly amount - like 20 or more times. I just love the transformation. ZERO PROBLEMS. No stress marks, nothing.

The first one I cleaned and posted the Cleanscream thread for has probably been transformed 40 times or more. No stress marks at all. Everything fits together great and is easy to fold up, yet not floppy. He actually inspires more confidence in transformation than the classics seekers do IMHO.

I *did* have one CLASSICS Starscream crumble in my hands after painting him. Out of 5 classics screamer repaints I did, one disintegrated.

10. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Makes you wonder if they occasionally throw different kinds of plastics into the line during a production run. Or if there is some kind of environmental change in the factory that can affect plastic (environmental meaning factory conditions/factors, not weather).

If my Cleanscream crumbles or breaks I'll think twice about using alcohol in the future.

11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I have transformed mine many times, and my Greenscream even more, no problems whatsoever. It may just be the way individuals are transforming the wings. Not that I'm implying that anyone is doing anything wrong, per say, just maybe a different technique is in order.

12. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Ya but isn't paint thinner a little different than 91% alcohol?

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yeah, I wouldn't go anywhere near a toy with paint thinner, that stuff is wicked. I learned this the hard way back in my model car days.

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I have three issues with mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The blue arrow points to the problem of the part not being able to be flush with the rest of the top of the jet. I have taken that part apart to see if I could fix it but have come up empty.

The green arrow points to the same damned problem I had with the TakaraTOMY MP Starscream.

The red arrow points to the stress mark on the wing joint that was existant right out of the box.

15. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

The highlighted area is the answer! Turned soft, that's exactly what happened!

I feel like an ass for destroying 2 MP Starscreams but how was I supposed to know? :eek:  Wish they never put that stupid dark mark on the back.

On a different note, it doesn't look like any of the MP Starscreams have sold. Besides the ones me & my friend bought, it looks like the rest are still just sitting there. I know there are other Transformer fans & scalpers in the area, this is kinda strange.:sly: 

I learned it the hard way with poor Screamer :cry  If they had just painted it the same as the G1 version I wouldn't have had this problem. I just don't like the white, the upside down wing symbols when he's in robot mode & that gunk on the airbrake section.

The blue & green I think are the same on all of these. My greenscream was like that, my Skywarp is like that & all the Wal-Mart screamers I've seen are like that.

That stress mark doesn't look to good. But I'm pretty sure the thinner I used is what caused mine to crumble.

16. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

Yeah. That damn airbrake is my biggest problem.

17. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no problems with mine.

18. iflabs

iflabs Well-Known Member

All of your problems are on mine also. Found the little tiny streak of stress in that same area.

19. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    I didn't mod my MP-03 but had this issue minorly in the same spot. It's because I TF'd it wrong by trying to pul the wings outward instead of lifting the back first which holds them in. Mine only cracked, it didn't break completely. I've purchased Hasbro's MP-SS and I don't have this issue at all.

Yeah.....Do not use paint thinner on ABS plastic. It causes the plastic to disintegrate . Or really, it breaks it down. Alcohol has the same effect but on clear plastics instead of ABS. I forgot what the official name for translucent plastics is.

20. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I'm on my second MP SS. My first broke in the same places as yours, Noisemaze. I only transformed it a few times.

My new one, I haven't transformed at all, but already has cracks/stress marks in the same spots.