problem with ebay seller (your thoughts)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deathonacracker, Sep 14, 2011.

1. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    i bought what i thought was a Takara classics Ramjet the other day described as takara/hasbro 2006 printed on leg and that it was only transformed once and put on display, leading me to believe it was his personal item. the seller has 386 stars & 100% positive feedback.
    i received the item and low and behold, on the left leg was the CHMS brand. i contacted the seller and thanked him for the fast delivery and let him know that this was a knock off. he sent me a response apologizing and telling me he didn't know much about the item. i then asked him if i could send it back for a full refund and asked that he pay shipping. he said he would refund me but i would be responsible for shipping charges and he wouldn't credit me the initial shipping. he said if i wanted a refund on the shipping i would need to contact the USPS and ask them for a refund. he simply refused over and over to pay the $5 it would take for me to ship it back or refund me the initial $5 it cost me to have it shipped. we went back and forth for about two days until he finally told me if i have a problem to open up a case. i told him before hand that i didn't want to tarnish his rating and i didn't want to take it that far, i just wanted my money back and to send him the item.

he stopped responding so this morning, that's what i did.I opened up a case.

am i wrong in asking for the shipping charges to also be reimbursed? i mean, if i would have known it was a KO, i would have never bid on it. why should i be out $10 and have nothing to show for it? it wasn't my "mistake". it's not the money as much as the principle now. i mean, it's only $10 but i could buy a deluxe for that price. and money is money.

what are your thoughts on this matter and would you have done something different?

the item ended at $39 with $5 shipping. i could get a new CHMS ramjet in package for $24.

2. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never had to open an eBay case, so take this for what it's worth. Based on your post it seems there was an affirmative misstatement made in the description. If he actual said in the listing that it was labeled tak/has and it clearly was not, he's not really dealing in 100% good faith.

I don't know how eBay resolves these matters when it comes to shipping, but it would seem you should not be out of pocket at all (shipping to OR from) for something that was improperly described.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    if he did not specify it was a has/tak or official product, then you should have paid. Not only for initial shipping but also for shipping it back to get refunded. He shouldn't be in penalty for that.

However, if he did say it was has/tak official, then you have grounds against him.

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    hmm... sorry to hear that, good luck with everything...
    and I hope there's someone that can give you an answer to your question

EDIT: both above reactions seem more than good enough ;) 

5. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

Having looked at the auction in question.....it specifically mentions Hasbro and Takara being stamped on the leg, but doesn't mention CHMS...which is vague at best. Based on what you've outlined here, the item wasn't described properly.

In which case, why should you be liable for something that was not your error?

6. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    thanks so much for the responses.

i agree. it actually does say Takara/Hasbro on the item..but also says CHMS on the other leg. maybe he didnt see the CHMS. that's not for me to say i guess. he said he didnt know. fair enough. BUT, that's still not my fault. even though in pictures they look EXACTLY the same, i could tell when i opened the box that the quality was pretty poor in comparison to my other seekers.

7. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    OP, can you link to the ebay listing? I don't want to make a judgement without seeing the listing itself.

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I've had cases like this. Unofortunately you are liable for the cost of returning the item to the seller. Same for if it turns up damaged or if there is any other 'defect' with it you are not satisfied with. Yep, eBay sucks.

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I think we get into the "is it seller's responsibility or buyer's responsibility"...

I mean, one can say that before OP brought the item he could ask for pics of specified area. The other can say that it is the seller's responsibility to list that out and know everything about his product.

So we can swing either way, really.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

We can, but eBay will side with the seller on this one, at least in terms of return postage costs. Regardless of the circumstances, the buyer always has to foot the bill for return p&p.

11. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

from personal experience, just open case with ebay so they can keep track of all the back and forth messages and handle the refund. just clearly state the problem in the case comment and your suggestion for resolving the problem, full refund + return shipping, the seller will likely refuse and escalate the case to ebay customer support, after a week or two of 'investigation' ebay will rule in your favor (they pretty much always do, so don't abuse this to screw over sellers if you don't have legit complaints about the items) and provide you with return shipping label ( i don't know if it's deducted from seller's account or ebay eating the cost, and i don't care). stick the label on package, drop it off at usps or ups and wait for your automatic refund.

basically if you have complaints about the item, even if you worked out a solution with the seller by communication, still open a case so ebay can keep track and refund you automatically instead of relying on seller's scout's honor to refund you when he receives the return. sure you have tons of email and tracking number but there's not much you can do once the item is out of your hand and delivered to the seller.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Open a case as soon as possible, if you haven't already. You and the seller can still work things out and youcan close the case upon being satisfied, but eBay will have a record of any and all correspondence when a case is active.

13. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

doesn't matter really, just claim item is counterfeit when filing the ebay case and ebay will side with you. if seller has 'no return' policy ebay will most likely just refund you full without having you send back the item. this works even if you knowingly bought a ko and want to screw seller over.

14. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    I disagree. I think it was your fault that you didn't ask for more pictures or if the CHMS stamp was included. The seller described the item fairly. Most non-transformer fans would never know the difference between knockoffs and legit, and it is up to you, the buyer, to act with due diligence and ask the questions that will help you determine legitimacy.

If there is anyone to blame it's the knock-off companies that have made it difficult to determine real toys (I encounter this problem all the time in my G1 quest).

15. deathonacracker

Ebay:
  16. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  17. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    Ok, after seeing the auction and the seller history... I think fault lies with both of you. I think the seller (a self proclaimed collector) knew it was a KO, but I think you have to be a little more careful when buying figures that have been knowingly KOed.

18. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    well the item description was "new/used ramjet has been transformed once and displayed not played with, adult collector. 2006 hasbro inc 2006 takara stamped on inside of leg comes with instructions"

i assumed it was his personal item from this description. no reason for me to question this since i've never had a problem before. it didnt even come to mind. now i obviously know to ask other questions.

i opened the case as "fake item" which was an option in the case details. he immediatly asked ebay to proceed with the case so he isnt intereted in setteling outside of the investigation.
    I totally see how this could have been a mistake on his part and even told him im not blaming him for trying to rip anyone off. but i just don't see how im punished by paying $10 total shipping.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    from the listing he says specifically Has/Tak stamp on the leg. So yes, the seller definitely knows, and knows where to look for KO as well. So I would attribute it to his fault.,

20. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

I think ebay will side with the buyer in this one. Mentioned stamps from hasbro and tak on the leg but fails to mention the other? How convenient. That was purposeful and that's a significant failure on the description.

It's up to sellers to describe items meticulously. If you're too lazy to do so then you should expect to get burned sooner or later. This comes from a seller who is also lazy in their descriptions.

ebay is out to protect buyers, not sellers. If you decide to sell you need to be aware of that.