Problem with a buyer who didn't get insurance...

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by payton34, Jul 27, 2009.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys, need some advice here.

I sold a G1 Trypticon a couple of months ago, excellent condition (other than being a little dusty) and 100% complete. The buyer did not get insurance.

I get a message today, saying it was shipped to their mother's house because they were out of town and they just picked it up, and the box was heavily damaged. Once they opened it up, one of the claws was broken off.

Their initial message stated "How do you want to handle this????", as if it were my fault it got broken. Both the figure itself and the package were in fine shape when I left them at the post office.

I politely explained to them that everything was fine when I mailed it, and insurance would have covered that but it wasn't purchased, then asked them what they wanted, a partial refund, etc.

They replied "either that or a replacement. You can buy another Trypticon and send me the part".

I'm sorry, I feel for their situation but I'm not about to buy another damn figure just to take a part off and send it to them. I'm trying not to be an ass about it, but that's what insurance is for. If you purchase a high-dollar item and neglect to get insurance, that's the chance you take.

I'm not worried about them filing a Paypal claim against me because I don't think they'd win. However, I have a perfect feedback score and don't want to get a negative. Any advice would be greatly helpful.

2. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I know that you should win should they try a claim, just tell them you'll do a partial refund to help them replace the claw, so that it seems like if you're understanding where they're coming from on this situation. If it's the whole arm that has to be replaced then they may want a bit more than you think, if it's just the fingers then it shouldn't cost you too much. Also ask them to take a picture of the damage so you can assess it.

3. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    personally how I would help them all depends how they are aproaching you, if he is being rude making demands or threats, I'd tell him to F off, if he was polite about the issue and understanding, I'd try to help him the best I could, Personally the most I would do is refund the cost of shipping, but thats just me, if he wants to cry more about it tell him should of got insurance then

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If its broken during shipping, I fell as if its the UPS/USPS/FedEx guys fault.

HOWEVER... my next question is... how did you package it? Did you use bubble wrap, news paper... still like that to keep it safe?

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    They can only dispute it after 45 days from the day the payment was sent. Keep that in mind.

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't your problem. For all you know, his mom is the one that mangled it, not USPS. When I pack stuff to send, I only pack it to get from point A to point B. Not to get from point A to point B and sit there and take abuse for a couple months.

If you want to send a few bucks his way, be my guest, but if you think it was packed well, it ain't your problem.

6. zap dragon

zap dragon Well-Known Member

sorry but if he files with paypal the buyer will win, i have never heard of a seller winning , the buyer claims "item not as described", it falls on the seller to get the item to the buy as in the stated in the auction , hence why most seller now state tracking and insurance required when they sell an item/auction, and then do a half to decent job in packaging to protect item, as mentioned, it is best to try to aggree to a partcial refund in my opinion 10-$15 for the damage would work

7. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would take the feedback hit and tell him it was his place to buy insurance (unless you did not offer it, then it is partially your fault).

8. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Actually he won't win key thing is the auction was months ago, you have 45days to open a dispute after that is SoL. This is all the buyers fault, A) didn't get insurance, B) Shipped to someones house that wasn't his, c) wasn't home to evaluate product after reciept of package d)if the box was so damaged should have refused delivery

9. payton34

News Credits:
    Yeah, it ended on May 31st, so the 45-day rule is in effect. The buyer just sent me a link to a Trypticon auction saying "Here's the cheapest one I could find, will you buy it for me?"

I finally just told him "look, I'm sorry and all, but I don't see how I have to pay for a whole other figure when yours was damaged in transit and you didn't get insurance".

It's cheap enough I guess because it's a junker, so I did offer to split the cost with him. I'll wait and see what he says to that, if he sticks to his opinion that I have to pay in full for a replacement, then I guess I'll just have to live with the one negative.

10. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:

Don't forget on any Negative comment you can leave your own feedback on the negative so ppl can see both sides of the story and you can actually dispute it with ebay and get it removed I've done this in the past thats why I know

11. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's 90 days with paypal and no matter what he will win.
    Sent him some type of refund and call it a day.
    He can ship u back rocks in a box he will still get his refund as long as it's tracked.

Dude you should never ship to any other address other then the verified paypal. Now you are not covered.

12. payton34

News Credits:
    Well, what he describes as his mother's address actually was the verified address.

13. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh good. That a whole set of other problems.

14. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I don't think I'm saying anything that hasn't already been said...

If it's past 45 days (it used to be 90 years ago) you're under no obligation to do anything for the buyer. In fact, the whole thing sounds fishy to me regarding the package being sent to his mom's and not having opened until recently. I'd suspect he's been messing around with it since and broke it himself.

Also, I guess as a side note, if the buyer could still file a PP claim then you would undoubtedly lose. zap already mentioned why and it would be an open and shut case against you. Buyer are automatically insured by Paypal, especially when it becomes matters of items not as described. Buying Post Office insurance is realistically for the seller since the buyer will be refunded by Paypal.

15. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

This is why I insist on Insurance for anything I sell on Ebay and include it in the shipping price. That way if its broke they can file and deal with it through the post office and i don't have to deal with problems or scammers.

16. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    I have a question, if a seller states in the auction details that they are no way responsible for the damages caused during shipping, would the seller still be liable since it's been stated and if the buyer bids, that would mean they comply?

17. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    its a tough call paypal is a buyer bias service so from the start buyers always have an edge on the seller. But honestly in this case the Seller has nothing to worry about, the buyer has no leverage and its passed the deadline to file a dispute. The box could of very well been damaged by his mom/dad while it was sitting at their house waiting for him to pick up the package.

18. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Either way this is yet another good reason to package your items extremely well. If something comes up you pretty much know the person is trying to screw with you.

19. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Past 45 days so there is no problem. End your communication with him immediately.

20. zap dragon

zap dragon Well-Known Member

ok
    paypal is 45 to file claim
    ebay you have 60 days to leave feedback

so paypal is over , now string him on for a few days and 60 days is over for him to leave feedback

no claim, no neg feedback

problem solved