Customs: Problem: Alclad 2 and black base coats:

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by wildfly, Oct 28, 2011.

1. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Trying to rechrome some scratched up plastic...but really getting very poor results.

I've a perfectly smooth, fairly reflective coat of Tamiya X1 black applied, and several coats of perfectly smooth Alclad 2 Chrome applied.

But it's just plain very dark. More like a reflective gunmental color.

Is the problem that the base coat simply isn't shiny enough?

...and if so, are there any viable alternatives to Alclad Black?

I was under the impresson Acrylic would do, but do i need to switch to an enamel?

I'm a bit stuck.

Anyone?
    Thanks

2. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay:
    ok i use this stuff all the time,the black base coat has to be super super glossy!if you can not see yourself in the black its not gonna work!

one trick i have found is to just use a flat black then clear coat it a couple of times then when its dry buff it up,this gives you mirror like finish

also you mentioned you used a few coats,dont-the way this stuff works is that it is reflecting off the black,so if you cover it completly it wont work

i dont blame you though cos i did this myself cos it says to use a few coats on the bottle...

and another thing,use the lowest psi you can get away with on your airbrush (im assuming your not trying to paint this stuff on by hand) i noticed the stuff goes grey if it goes on with to much pressure

and on another note i found that using spray cans of glossy black was better,such as humbrol

the downside with the whole process is that in order to have a highly reflective surface,it tends to take a lot of gloss paint i found,which can eat up the details,so in other words the alclad black IS the best option,you just gotta use like 5 or 6 light coats of it then buff it right up.hope this helps!cheers

3. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    ^ Thanks.

4. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay:
    any joy then?

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you need help with the base choat, use tamiya's spray gloss black. And as soon as you spray the black have your alclad ready to spray, because you should probably just spray it about 2 minutes after the black. Tamiya's gloss black is really nice, with a great gloss shine after a few light coats and a final medium coat. Top that with alclad, and it's gorgeous, :thumb . Hope this helps a bit, :) 

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    the better your black base coat's gloss, the better the chrome results.
    THIN black coats, until almost mirror like, then alclad; also in (several) thin even coats.

Too few, it'll be a dark silver
    Too many, it will be silver

it's a tough technique to manage, but the right results are great. I wasted lots of figures, time and paint; and I still can't get it perfect.

7. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay:
    amen to that,its something i have been practising a long time now and i have to say,finishing it is another world of hurt,i did see on video mike where you said the alclad clear wont hinder the effects of the chrome but i have to say to some degree that is incorrect,i have tried on every psi,technique you can think of but the chrome definantly loses some of its bite when its topcoated even lightly

i found one good technique was to add a super thin layer of chrome on top of the clear coat just to bring out the extra shine after its benn dulled a little if that makes sense