Pro Golfer Suing over Wikipedia Entry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jux, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

ESPN.com Link

2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Somebody said something bad about someone else on the internet? :rolleyes2 

If this goes through I’d bet Michael bay could make a killing in lawsuits...

3. Jux

In this case, I can see why he'd want to pursue legal action - as a pro golfer, he has a lot of personal endorsements that rely on both his performance and his reputation. Not that this posting will necessarily change that, because after all it IS Wikipedia and the sponsors probably realize that, but all the same, I can understand his concern.

But yeah, if he's successful in this, then it could open the door for a lot more of action.

4. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    He's sueing someone over this are you kidding me? He should maybe get a stern talking to but thats about it. Wikipedia is not a definite credible source for anything and if you don't know that your an idiot, which looks like he is. If this was a blog they could give a rats ass, but since its wikipedia with no source of info linked to the statement (just like a blog would be) he can sue the guy. I just think it's ridiculous.

5. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    When you publish something intentionally defamatory, it's libel. It doesn't matter if you're a newspaper editor or a blogger, you are responsible for your words.

Fuzzy is in the right. I hope he wins.

6. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Frankly it's a precedent that needs to be set. People hide through their keyboards all too often these days. Good luck to him.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    ...Never mind.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    What if this was Britney Spears instead of some jock?

9. Jux

Shame. I had a nice reply going.

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I guess nobody told him that he could change the Wikipedia entry himself. If this gets through and is successful, its going to set a very, very bad precedent.

Also, who's to say that the article is in fact incorrect?(I actually suspect that the Wiki entry is a lie.) But the guy has an image to keep up, and it would be in his best interests to keep some aspects of his life out of the knowledge of the public and his sponsors. Now, I may or may not know some interesting things about people you may or may not know of. But I also don't go around posting about everything I know as a fact on the internet. I also don't have any "proof" to show the world, other than testimony. But if I were to spill some beans about what I may or may not know, I would be sued for libel under what this Fuzzy guy is trying to get done.

11. Jux

He's not trying anything new, he's just trying to have current law enforced.

http://www.cyberlibel.com/libel.html

*Edit: Bloggers Warned they Can Be Sued for Libel

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    To me it is impractical that the lawsuit is going through.

What would the law suit fix or prove. Yes there could have been an incorrect and possible defamatory statement on wiki. It was noticed and removed. It prob would have been completed forgotten had it not been for this stupid lawsuit.

And to be honest I find it particularly ironic that a man who is trying to up hold his name used an alias to ensure pricey in the lawsuit.

And as for the internet, why is it any different is I told all of my friends that I thought fuzzy was an alcoholic, would I be sued too?

13. Gigatron_2005

That law is extremely vague bullshit. Also, those links you gave suggest that only the publishers or (at least semi-professional) editors of the website can be held accountable. Neither of these links provide me with any basis on which to try a lawsuit against a "user" of a website. Wikipedia is basically a message board of information from these users that is categorized, I don't feel that a user of a site should have legal action thrown against them for comments made, unless the user really does cause damage to an entity.

Notice how no legal action is mentioned against that random somebody else who maid the libelous claim on a blogger's website.

Also,
    While these suggestions are not binding to the law, its basically saying that the guy is a prick, or "gold-digging" in a way. The article in question is no longer on his page on Wikipedia, which I believe would constitute a retraction of the said article.

14. Jux

Let's make sure we all understand - he's not suing Wikipedia. The main idea behind suing someone who's posted defaming comments about you is to restore the reputation you may have lost. So that's his ultimate goal, I would imagine.

If you had a blog and on it (or possibly even on these forums) said "He is a drunk, and he beats his kids" I could potentially sue you for libel, if you have no evidence to support the claims.

15. Jux

I'm sure you know how to use Google.

But ... there have been established precedents around the world of users themselves being successfully sued.

London forum poster sued for libel

From my earlier link, a previous statute has been set that rules "A computer network service is not a "periodical", which would require an opportunity for retraction under the defamation statute of Wisconsin." Retractions may not apply to online forums, based on local and federal laws.

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    But was there a measurable amount of damage done to his reputation? Has he lost any sponsorship deals or money from this?

I doubt it. He prob will spend more on legal bills then he will ever realize over this BS.

I haven't read up on this, but given that the Internet is not subject to the particular local laws of the person using the computer, would it not be hard, or near impossible to actually sue the person who is defaming you?

Plus if I said that someone is a jerk, could I be sued over my personal opinion of the person?

17. Jux

Well, like I said ... probably hard, but it's been done.

18. Gigatron_2005

When I get paid to look things like that up, I'll care to search for additional information. Also, thats London. May be different than US law (Im assuming that this golfer and wiki user are US residents).

But it also says that the publishers (company that owns Wikipedia) of information from third parties (users) are the ones that are to be held accountable. It says in the subject of this thread that the courts wont allow the company that owns Wikipedia to be sued. Looks like a game of Pong.

19. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

This is funny. I used to deliver pizzas to fuzzy all the time, he was always a nice guy to us drivers.

20. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I don’t have any problem with him suing the person that posted the stuff about him.

He probable just didn’t want you spitting in his pizza next time.