PRO Duo - differences?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, May 21, 2007.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I just won an auction for a 4GB Pro Duo mem stick to use with my PSP at a decent price of just over $20. I noticed that the auction said it was for a certain camera, with no mention of PSP. I just assumed that the Pro Duo format was all the same.

Did I just screw up? Yes, I googled, but I couldn't find a satisfactory explanation. I'm inclined to think that it will work, but does anybody know of differences between Pro Duo sticks that would not allow it to work in the PSP?

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I hear you have to be very careful when getting any kind of memory card on ebay, something like 95% of them are knock-offs.

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I won one too for a decent price a few months ago. I recently got my money back from Paypal.

Hope your transaction goes differently.

4. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The seller had good feedback, only one neg out of over 500. I was a bit worried about that, and I tried to stick with the best seller I could find.

I did see TONS of sellers with shitty feedback that had claims of knockoff or hacked memory, but this guy had none of that. For $20, I'm willing to take a chance.

But the real question is, if I get it and it's legit, will it work?

5. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Hey, man, I just pulled my card out of my PSP and it's a SanDisk Memory Stick PRO Dou, works in mine...I think you're all set :) 

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It does sound too good to be true, but it's still worth a shot. I've never heard of a Pro Duo stick not working with all memory stick devices but I'm not Sony either. Hope it turns out well for you.

7. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh, and for 4GB? that is freaking HUGE for a PSP! I'd say $20 is a steal!

8. Dark_Convoy

I actually got two 1 gig sandisk SD cards off e-bay last week, this is before I learned most memory cards on e-bay are counterfeits, luckily they turned out to be real, but had been manufactured for the Asian market - at least according to their serial numbers.

*knocks on wood*

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They work, right? What would make memory different for different markets?

10. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    For $20, you can be damn sure it's a knockoff.

But my knockoff stick works just fine. Had it for months.

11. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

the only differences are that there are most than one kind of memory stick, duo and pro duo. they are different sizes to the best of my knowledge.

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    As long as it works, I couldn't care less if it's "real" or not.

I guess I'll find out in a month (or not).

13. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    As far as I know if it is a Pro Duo and is the same size(not memory-wise but physically) as your current card it should work. My PSP mem sticks work in my digital camera as well. Like others said, unless it is a knock-off, you should be fine.

14. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

For 20 bucks, yeah it's a fake. Will it work? Yes. Will it stay working? Probably not. Most of the complaints about the fake sticks are a high failure rate. I got one and it went 2 weeks before it crapped out on me.

15. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    There are four kinds. Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo.

Duos are the short ones that go in PSPs. The word PRO makes absolutely no difference either way.

16. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some KO Memory Stick PRO Duos hold only fraction what they are supposed to also.

Non-PRO Duos are limited to 128 Megs, whilst PRO Duos have no such limit, but both work in PSPs. There's also high-speed PRO Duos just to make things even more confusing, they have a faster read/write speed I think. I think the 1 Gig stick that comes with some PSPs is a high-speed type.

17. Dark_Convoy

They work great, they just put different serial numbers on them for different markets - western cards use an 8 digit serial number while the asian cards have a 13 digit number, I have no idea why they do it this way, it's just what I've read.

I read one of the main things you have to watch for in knock-off is that they can be hacked to make you computer think they are larger than they actually are - for example a 512mb card that reports 1 gig, you can check by doing a command line format - which I did - to make sure they are on the up and up, also transfer speeds can me slower on knockoff cards, and if they fizz out on you you have no warranty.

18. MatrixKeeper108

MatrixKeeper108 One With The Matrix

My understanding is a pro duo is a pro duo, it doesn't matter if its designated as 'for' the PSP. If a pro duo package says it's 'for' the PSP, it's just marketing.

I bought a 4GB pro duo stick for my sony ericsson phone, so I learned fast that there's just a ton of differently marketed items that are all really the same thing.

19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So I got it today, it's fake/defective as hell. It thinks it can hold 4 GB, and formats at 4 GB, but it won't hold more than 1 GB. Is there any way to make it realize it's only 1 GB? I tried command-line formatting, but I got the same results.

The seller offered to swap it with another if I send it back to HONK KONG, but I don't see what good that would do, as I'd probably just get another fake.

I'm thinking about going to Target, buying a real one, and returning this one as defective. Slimy, but effective.